Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 92.9 KAFF-AZ in NJ

Default 92.9 KAFF-AZ in NJ

I can hardly believe it, but I think I received 92.9 KAFF Flagstaff AZ this evening, at the tail end of the major event. For about 15 minutes I had nothing but static on 92.9 (KTGL-NE was the last station heard). At 2141 ET, I began to receive a country signal, followed by a jingle of "92.9 Kaff Country". You can hear the jingle at :55 in my attached clip. The slogan, and the songs before and after the jingle, Brooks & Dunn - Brand New Man, and Eli Young Band - Even If Your Heart Breaks, match the Tunegenie playlist of 92.9 KAFF, which you can view their 6 PM MST playlist here: http://kaff.tunegenie.com/ After a couple unIDs, I had an ad for a location in Springfield MO about 10 minutes after this (KOSP-MO).

I have sent an e-mail to KAFF's programming department to confirm. I'll also try to record the jingle off their stream (I haven't heard any this evening as they are running Whitney Allen).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Awesome catch, Nick!

Rob/SC

nice catch. You're having amazing luck this season!
    Randy KW4RZ Fort Walton Beach, Florida panhandle EM60

No question about it. The jingle is very clear. If you looked at Sherlock around this time you would have seen high MUF's breaking out in the Western part of the country with MUF's around 110 mhz still in the East. No doubt, a link up.

There were several multi-hop paths showing on Sherlock at the time as Nick emailed me initially on working through the recording ( unfortunately although I was recording on 92.9 with the antenna aimed appropriately, I had nothing there ) and I looked at the map to see.
    Russ Edmunds
    15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id
    Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Onkyo T450RDS; 4) Tecsun PL-310;
    Sony XDR-S3; Sony ICF2010; all w/ APS-9B @ 15';
    Sony ICF2010 barefoot w/ whip

Milford Square, PA 30 mi N of Philadelphia

Thumbs up 92.9 KAFF-AZ in NJ

Fantastic. 2000 miles to Trinidad earlier this year and now 2000 miles to Arizona for you. I was looking for 2x at that time here and heard nothing on my open channels. However at the exact time you had Flagstaff, I had strong fade ups of 92.3 WIL and 93.7 KSD St Louis, MO with dead band conditions either side in the recordings. That would indicate a first hop of around 800 miles and the 2nd at 1200 miles. Excellent job.

Start checking off the lower 48 there. How many states does that make for you now?
    K3PHL - Steve W
    Milford Square, PA (near Allentown) (FN20)

Sony XDR-F1HD, Sony XDR-S3HD, Denon TU-1500RD, Sangean HDT-1, Tecsun PL-310
    APS-9B @ 33'
    http://home.comcast.net/~k3phl

Don't know how you do it Nick. Pretty cool though. Nice going!
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Thanks a lot guys! The KAFF OM replied with a short message saying that was what aired at the time last night. I also heard the same jingle on their stream today. Just pure luck. Nice having an open channel like 92.9 still around, on which I am almost always parked on with a tuner here...who knows how much longer that will last. I have 41 states here now...that's certainly more than I ever thought I'd get here.

Nice catch! Congrats

pjdyer Guest

Fine haul there!

Back on Jun 11, 2000 http://www.qsl.net/w/wa5iyx/fmrp0006.htm I got 2Es from the 92.3 in Portland, OR - what was weird was the lack of single-hop evidence (I'd just parked on 92.3 - a good spot until Kerrville, TX came on there). Oregon had a 2m Es event into Colorado and it seemed everytime that spiked so did my Portland signal.

73, Pat - WA5IYX

Thread Information