Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 92.9 KAFF-AZ in NJ

Thanks, Pat! Always fascinating hearing about your DX experiences! Very interesting on the 92.3 Portland reception. Clearly a station at the location of the first hop will not always be present, depending on where that may be. But I guess cloud-to-cloud 2x is possible as well?

Remarkably, I uncovered what I believe is another log from AZ on a secondary tuner running on 7/24. At 2212 ET on 92.1, I had a fadeup of a baseball game, this after I thought most activity died down here. The situation described, with (Miguel) Montero up to bat against (Edwar) Cabrera with (Wilin) Rosario catching, all matched the Colorado/Arizona game that evening. The play-by-play announcer also mentions that "we open the night 6 back of the Giants". The Arizona D-Backs were 6 games back of the Giants on 7/24. The only AZ D-Backs affiliated listed on 92.1 is KZUA Holbrook. Clip attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

UticaWx Guest

Awesome, awesome stuff...congrats on both!!

Always great to see 2Es catches like these...good stuff!
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Nick....

Those are truly remarkable catches! That baseball game especially faded up really nicely. And I'm also surprised that in New Jersey you have two FM frequencies as open as those sounded to allow such DX. 92.1 and 92.9 are locals for me, but I wonder what else might have come through elsewhere on the dial, perhaps from Arizona, if I hadn't quit around 9pm for the evening.

Chris
    Chris - Poughkeepsie, NY
    DTV DXer since April 2009
    DTV DX screenshots at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtvdxer/sets
    DTV DX Videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtvdxer

Timothy Guest

That's great, Nick! It really is remarkable you were able to confirm AZ from NJ! I've been dying to catch an FM station from AZ, it would be 2x for me as was for you, but you are farther away from AZ than I am! That's wild! I love that clip for KAFF 92.9 with a nice ID. I think I remember briefly hearing them when I was out there in 2008. It's such beautiful country out there. Anyway congrats on both catches!

Thanks, Tim! Your Calgary catch was awesome BTW...about as clear-cut of a 2x I've heard!

Chris - we're very fortunate down here to have a frequency as open as 92.9 still is, relatively speaking. I'm sure a translator could pop up there any day and kill the channel in the area. As it is now, I can split the gap between WMGS and WRDX when I aim at 270 degrees. During the day I will hear WLTJ Pittsburgh scatter in regularly. The channel is not quite as great as it used to be, as WMMR's IBOC definitely affects it when aimed at it (second adjacent IBOC interference DOES exist, contrary to some people's opinions), but Es obviously will come right over it. I couldn't ask for a better channel as an "Es alert" in the commercial band, very lucky to still have it.

92.1 meanwhile probably sounds a little more "open" than it really is, as that clip came from my Sangean HDT-1 which is a little deaf on that channel when aimed toward the Philly towers. But I can null semi-local WVLT pretty well at 270 degrees. WTPA is heard often there but outside of tropo it's not much of a factor.

(second adjacent IBOC interference DOES exist, contrary to some people's opinions)

I absolutely know that is true. When WPKX was on 97.9 with its IBOC, not only were 97.7 and 98.1 trashed but I also had a hiss on 98.3 and I did notice it on 97.5. The hiss on 98.3 was very obvious. And when they left Agawam, moved to downtown Hartford and turned off the IBOC, the hiss left. 98.3 cleaned up considerably.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Thread Information