Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Realtek RTL2832 E4000 USB TV Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by pjdyer View Post
    However, the Zadig version I downloaded is 2.0.1.157 (vs 2.0.1.154), and "show all devices" on it just gives me USB Receiver (Interface 0), USB Receiver (Interface 1), and RTL2832U Picking the first two shows USB ID 046D C51B 00 and 046D C51B 01, while RTL2832U gives 0BDA 2832 The SDRSharp.exe.Config file that I downloaded doesn't contain the remark lines re the RTL device to modify (and pasting it in doesn't seem to work either).

73, Pat - WA5IYX
    I got mine in the mail today. Ditto Pat what you said about the config file. There is no remark line and pasting one in doesn't do anything.
    Also Zadig goes nuts when I tried it on my downstairs computer with my scanner, SDR-IQ and Ray Dees RDS unit all plugging into the computer via USB. The option they want is not there.

So.........I tried a laptop instead. The driver installed all by itself but the config file had the same result as when used on the computer above.

I'm too tired to play with it anymore tonight and besides, I'm outta beer, so it will have to wait.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

pjdyer Guest

That Zadig does an excellent job of muting my cordless mouse ! The Logitech one had developed a bit of left-hand button bounce anyway. The Gigaware ones on 2.4 GHz have their USB receiver so small that one could swallow it. Anyway, I've ordered the DealExtreme EZTV645 item since folks seem to be having better luck with it. Should have done that in the first place vs looking for the cheapest online. Now to relocate the PAL-to-F adapter that I got from Radio Shack ...

73, Pat - WA5IYX

Well, I have progressed a little. I have a desktop computer I use only for TV DXing. I have nothing plugged into the USB ports. So I tried that computer.

So far, I have managed to get SDR# to load without any error messages. I have RTL-SDR/USB showing in the Front End Window along with other choices. The only problem is that when I click on START, the program won't start. The Start button depresses, but nothing happens. The program will start if "Other" is selected and Start is pressed, so I know something will cause it to start.

So, that leads me back to Zadig. If I open Zadig and go Options->List all Devices, all I see is RTL2832U. On the left, under driver, I see WinUSB(v6.1.7600.16385) and on the right of the empty arrow, I see the same thing.

If I click Install Driver, or Re-Install driver, I get this error:

The procedure entry point_except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll.

If I X out this error 4 times, the error goes away and soon after I get a successful installation notice, but the arrow should be filled in with green but it is not.

So I'm guessing the driver is not installed, or properly installed.

I am not too good with maneuvering around with command prompts in order to do the RTL_test -t operation, but I have taken apart the dongle and found the E4000 chip inside.

What next? I'm subscribed to the SDR Yahoo group but I don't see any help there.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

mikesdx.com

pjdyer Guest

Sounds distressingly familiar. I was going to try to install things on the $100 refurbished Dell XP desktop (as well as that Seeeduino-Sony mod thing). The AC power supply for the D505 puts out a ton of VHF RFI, and the FairRite snap-on-ferrites via Mouser have not completely tamed that. Wish that I could find a linear supply to replace that switcher.

73, Pat - WA5IYX

Well, today I dug a little deeper into the error msg I'm seeing. I found the latest msvcrt.dll and installed that into my Win32 folder. Didn't help. What I can gather is that something is overwriting the dll. I think I've hit a brick wall and I can't go any further. It has to be the USB card because I tried two desktops and one laptop and this is as far as I get. I'm done, I think unless an answer suddenly shows up on the SDR# Yahoo list.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

mikesdx.com

Mike & Pat:

I've ordered one of these just too see if I can be "beat up" as well. I think mine is coming from Jupiter, because the delivery date is September 26th.
    Ray H. Dees
    PG-6-14714
    EM72LM

Well, I don't know what I did but I got it running (the same way I got Canon copiers fixed every so often...either by doing nothing or by just breathing on them...sometimes you just don't know what you did but if the machine works, just make some copies and get out of there, lol).

I got it running on the computer I didn't want to install it on. Just for the heck of it I transfered the folder with all of the files in it from a thumb drive to the computer. Then I opened the .exe file and RDS Sharp loaded, but of course wouldn't run.

So, I unplugged all the USB devices I have on that computer and opened Zadig, which was already on that computer. I clicked to re-install the driver. I got the error message I mentioned in an earlier post, X'ed it out, got it again, X'ed it out, got it again, X'ed it out, got it again and one more time, X'ed it out. A second later Zadig said the driver was successfully installed. "How could that be, I thought."

So I went back and loaded SDR Sharp. I clicked the "play" button, not expecting anything to happen. The da*n program started. I sat there stunned.

So, I've been playing with it all yesterday evening and this morning. It's a really cool program. I've spend a lot of time checking out FM and monitoring 155-156mhz, the weather radio band and 460mhz police (ours town is on 460.550). I love watching the signals popping in and out on the spectrum analyzer and waterfall. It's so easy to see what's on the band now.

As far as FM, the variable bandwidth is really cool. Some stations distort when using 80khz filtering, but I expected that. I have good luck using 100khz filtering instead. The RDS is cool but there's no PI code, only PS with or without scrolling, and you really need 110khz filtering or greater for the RDS to decode. I have my APS-13 connected to the dongle and it's a bit too much gain for it, especially when the antenna is aimed SW into all the Hartford garbage/IBOC, etc. So I put a Radio Shack attenuator inline with it to just bring down the signal a little so the noise floor goes down to 70-80db instead of 50db. I can tweek it as I need it.

But stations like WFCC 107.5, NYC on 98.7, Frank up in ME on 107.5, WCRI 95.9 are there so the unit has pretty good sensitivity.

Gotta thank Richard KG4EFG for posting about this and motivating me. Here's a screenshot I took of how SDR# looks on part of my FM dial.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sdrsharp.jpg 
Views:	1854 
Size:	630.9 KB 
ID:	13232  
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

mikesdx.com

What is the frequency range the SDR software will tune? On ebay I see it says down to 48.25 Mhz. It would be awesome if this thing could do SSB on shortwave since I see options in the software for it, but I'm guessing it can't tune that low. Otherwise looks like a great tuner/software combination.
    DX Radios:
    Sony XDR-F1HD
    Sony XDR-S10HDiP
    Tecsun PL-390

Richard's first post says
    - Frequency range : 64 - 1700 MHz (50 - 2200 MHz also possible)

I tried 55mhz with a scanner antenna connected but with 55.240/260 empty it's hard to tell. My lowband antenna is down now.
    The software might tune 30mhz or less but the SDR won't.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

mikesdx.com

OK Mike, you had me so intrigued, that I went online and bought one of those things on Amazon. Must be coming from Europe because it might get here by Christmas! I just LOVE tinkering with this stuff. After having a heart attack, (not really) finding out how much it would cost to get Wide FM on my Win Radio, this is a piece of cake! Will let you know how I make out. Might be callin on you for help!! Mike
    Sony XDR-F1HD
    Insignia Converter box
    Stereo Probe 9 @ 45' AGL
    Deep Fringe UHF @ 25' AGL

Thread Information