Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Realtek RTL2832 E4000 USB TV Tuner

Can you lads confirm this device works with WR Plus 1.11 Beta? Apparently it does, but as my model is awaiting shipment from Deal Extreme in Hong Kong, I can't test it.

I am running this software under 98SE. Extremely cool with excellent documenation for SDR newbies like me.

Mike-
    So Glad you got things up and running. I am able to tune down to about 54 MHZ on mine. WSB-TV in Atlanta still has something operating on there CH 2 frequency so I know I can that far down on mine. I did put a ferrite choke on my USB cable to cut down on RF noise from the PC and I plan to mount mine inside an Altoids tin. Need to order a few more from China and do the resale thing too and keep some extra on hand.

I have HDSDR all set up on another desktop running XP SP3 but I can't get the stick to work on that computer. I've already got HDSDR in use with SDR-IQ on the computer where the stick does work, but I don't want to have it try to work with two devices and mess up the computer since I had to reinstall windows and everything a few weeks ago and I really don't want to do it again.

I'm thinking that it may not work on this particular computer because I don't have USB 2.0 ports on it. I may pick up a 2.0 card on eBay and try to install it again. I would really like it to work with HDSDR, even though HDSDR is a memory hog.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

pjdyer Guest

Well, tried it all again on my refurbished Dell XP desktop (GX620 - Intel Pent 4 3 GHz, 1 G RAM) - Zadig seems to be the hangup. With USB Human Interface Device (Interface 0) used as the driver install, and ignoring the warnings about dll, all that it does each time is add another "(Interface 0)" text to the device while SDR# (now that the Config file mod lets RTL-SDR/USB show in the menu of "Front End" choices (plus RTL-SDR/TCP, FunCube, Softrock, and Other) says RTL-SDR/USB not connected or its driver is not functioning properly.

73, Pat - WA5IYX

Pat,
    When you open up SDR#, look at Front End. Is RTL-SDR/USB one of your options. If it is, then SDR# is not the problem.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

mikesdx.com

pjdyer Guest

Yes, the modifed config.exe file does get the RTL-SDR/USB to show in the SDR# pull-down menu - but then the error message.
    The Seeeduino-Sony on that Dell still has a problem with the xdr-gtk graphical interface - COM3 - either errors or the gtk.exe just quits.

73, Pat - WA5IYX

Muzza Guest

So is the pay-off worth the seemingly endless hassle? Sounds like a "no" from what I'm reading.

I don't think that anyone here is saying that the pay-off is not worth the trouble. If it was, none of us would be trying this and the market wouldn't be running out of E4000 chips so quickly.

Remember, just a few years ago the Icom R7000 or 7100 was the ultimate VHF receiver covering 30mhz to a ghz or more and the cost was well over $1000 USD. It also weighed a ton. Now you can get a receiver that covers the same spectrum, more or less, and with more features for $24USD. And if can fit in your pocket and weighs an ounce or so.

Just a few months back I bought a Winradio WR-g301 receiver. It did not have wide FM mode for listening to FM stations so FM radio listening was useless. It had two positions for adjusting bandwidth. It had a simple spectrum analyzer. Oh yes, and it cost $600USD (add another $200+ if I wanted to buy one with wide FM for 88-108mhz).

I get that with my SDR and SDR sharp for just $25 USD, plus a spectrum analyzer that covers 2mb or more, wide FM, completely functioning FM, a waterfall display and completely variable filtering. $25 versus $800 ? Which would you rather pay?

Radios like these were dreams just a few years ago. No they are reality and people know it and take advantage of the technology.

So, worth the trouble? Definitely yes.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

mikesdx.com

"$25 versus $800" Only a fool would pay 800 bucks for an 800MHz castrated radio, the law is an ass

Quote Originally Posted by fm_dxer View Post
    "$25 versus $800" Only a fool would pay 800 bucks for an 800MHz castrated radio, the law is an ass
    Keep in mind that the "castrated" radio also starts at 100khz or less and is a pretty good receiver for the AM (MW) band. Plus it does not overload at all and can be used with Spectrum Lab for very precise measurement of TV carriers, which is mainly what I wanted it for. Unfortunately, the SDR radio cannot do that. I knew what I wanted and would not consider myself a fool for buying it.

But The Realtec DVT card for $24 and the free SDR Sharp software is definitely worth it.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

mikesdx.com

Thread Information