Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is An Old TV Antenna Worth Saving?

Default Is An Old TV Antenna Worth Saving?

Thought I would put this to the forums and get some advice. I was given a 30+ year old TV antenna along with the mast. Bolts are pretty rusty, one of the elements broke off and a few are bent up pretty badly, but it looks to be in pretty good shape overall. Looks to be an old Channel Master from the late 70's. Would you save it or replace it with a new one?

Thanks
    Richard
    KG4EFQ

VHF antennas are hard to come by these days. Can you take a picture of it and post it here? I'd like to see what it looks like.

I'd try to save it and rebuild it IF you had a source of aluminum to replace the broken and bent elements. Bolts can always be drilled out and replaced with bolts from Home Depot, Lowes or another source.

My old Winegard PR-5030 had all rusted out rivits that created at least 6 open connections in the harness and messed up lowband VHF like you wouldn't believe. I drilled out all the rivits in the backyard one day and replaced the vivits with bolts, washers and nuts. It worked good for lowband 2 hop this summer now that there's continuity along each side of the harness.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Default Is An Old TV Antenna Worth Saving?

I agree that it might be worth resurrecting. The home I bought back in 1994 had a VHF-UHF antenna mounted in the attic above the attached garage. When we were still NTSC, that is the antenna we used. More recently, however, when we went to ATSC, I bought a ChannelMaster CM-4228. Needless to say, I used all new coaxial cable. The old antenna went out to the barn, after I removed the UHF elements. It is mounted inside the barn, but is pointed at the house because I have a Panaxis low power FM broadcast band transmitter there that re-broadcasts TV audio or internet radio. But I digress.

Back to you antenna. Again, at the risk of being redundant, use good RG-6, or better, coaxial cable and give it a try. The key, obviously, is if this serves your needs. If it is VHF only, but your area is now UHF only, then you need a different antenna. Good luck and enjoy!

Jim
    NØJS

Yes, take a picture, so we can tell what kind it is. IF it is a Ch. Master or Winegard, chances are, the bent element can be straightened (very, very carefully). As Mike said drill out the rivits with screws and nuts (if the rivits are rusty). Also, with a picture, we can see the size and tell what range its made for !

Gary H.
    Okla.

I've saved several old, large, VHF antennas for eventual use as parts or rebuilds.

As Mike has already mentioned, large VHF antennas are gettin' kinda hard to find so I may have to resurrect one of the old ones, someday.

I've repaired broken antenna elements with pieces of aluminum 'tubing' from other broken antennas & a couple of small hose clamps.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

After reading the comments here, I decided to go ahead and put it up. Here is the picClick image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).jpg 
Views:	2858 
Size:	892.5 KB 
ID:	13236 Thanks to the group for helping make my decision.

Richard

Richard,
    Good deal. To me, it looks like an Atennacraft CCS 1025 antenna (rated at 60 m. VHF/ 30 m. UHF), and a Channel Master rotor. How is it working ?

Gary H.
    Okla.

Gary-
    Seems to be working pretty good. I have it run into a 24db signal amp that I picked up from Wal-Mart for $25. Its running into a 4 way distribution amp and fed to most of my dx gear (NAD 7000 FM for FM-DX, the Computer SDR Card, and HD Homerun for PC reporting of TV DX and a Vizio 32 inch for Digital TV-DX and an old Sansui TV VCR for Analog DX)) I ordered the Insignia box last week on Ebay and is in route now. Should have it by Wednesday or Thursday. Most of the Atlanta Digital locals come in strong (We are about 30 miles from most of the transmitter sites), FM is great with 75-100 mile coverage, easily hitting the stations at Chattanooga 90+miles away and the GPB station at Warm Springs,GA 75 miles to the south. The only problem piece is the rotor, picked it up at a ham fest for $40 and its not working, I believe its the 4 conductor wire is old so a trip to the hardware store to pick up a roll. Till then using the old rotate by hand trick. Not sure what the antenna is but its a least 30 years old and a freebie. Think I am going to try to find a few more antennas to add to the growing farm.

Richard

Speaking of Insignia box, A friend went to a Pawn shop, and bought one, (new, in the box) for $10.00.... What a deal.

Gary H.

A steal, that!......I cannot imagine DTV DXn without that Zenith/Insignia unit.

cd

Thread Information