Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XHRIO-2 now MundoFOX

Default XHRIO-2 now MundoFOX

A recent format change at XHRIO-2, now is spanish language MundoFOX. Programming has English subtitles. This seen on Oct 5 2012.

Last edited by mp11; 10-10-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    mike
    TVDXing since 7/27/09

You mean, no more Kaplan College ads? What'll we dooooooo?

cd

I know I'll always feel a void in my life
    mike
    TVDXing since 7/27/09

I don't know for sure, but I wonder if Fox Network had issues with XHRIO about sports coverage. ISTR last year during baseball season, XHRIO, being analog, "auto-cropped" the image to 4:3, meaning that the visiting team's score could not be seen. Same goes w/ football; I believe the clock is missing during 4:3. It seems to me like a clever ploy on Fox's part, to get folk to invest in HDTV; I believe the other networks have the graphics within the 4:3.

When I view Fox Sports via the Insignia box, it's a quandary which I prefer to use. I go into "squeezed" mode now---4:3 AND I see the score/clock. But of course, that's not how the picture really is.

However, MundoFox is always 16:9 as well, but maybe for dramas, it's not a big deal to crop (if even XHRIO does----it might be letterboxed).

cd

Not sure. There's a tread on AVS forum under Harlington section about it, that I haven't had time to read yet. Whatever the reason...it's a big change.
    mike
    TVDXing since 7/27/09

I would say with all other English-language stations in the region being digital-only (because they are on the USA side of the border) and with only a small minority of people in the area speaking English (even in the cities on the American side, English is only seen where required for legal reasons. English in Southern Texas is like French in Vancouver), it only makes sense that XHRIO's analog signal (like XETV's in Tijuana) be used for Spanish.

Still, I'll miss seeing "American" ads and shows by analog E-skip :-)
    Engineer, Fingerboard Corners & Warmley R.R.

Sounds plausible Robert. I too will miss the "english" part of XHRIO, although it is never an easy tropo catch for me. NEVER have I rec'd a good clear reception.
    mike
    TVDXing since 7/27/09

Quote Originally Posted by mp11 View Post
    Sounds plausible Robert. I too will miss the "english" part of XHRIO, although it is never an easy tropo catch for me. NEVER have I rec'd a good clear reception.
    Well, their analog signal shuts off in 2013 so none of us will see them by Es again, unless you all down there catch them by tropo or single hop before they go off the air.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Mike's TV and FM DX Page
    Online since 1999 and still going!

Absolutely right Mike. Hoping XHRIO-2 shutting down will create opportunities to see new stuff. Remarkably, I've still never IDed XEFE-2 Nuevo Laredo (474 mi.) Although it may be scheduled to go shortly after XHRIO.
    mike
    TVDXing since 7/27/09

The DTV version of them vs their NTSC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F_Kq52nosg
    XHBC-3 Mexicali is the one that I'll miss, having first seen them in Jul 1962 (when they were XEM). None of my US Es stations spanned 50 years (Ch 2 Andalusia/Dozier, AL from Aug 1959 almost made it that long).

73, Pat - WA5IYX

Thread Information