Thread: Magnavox DTV Converter Box

Default Magnavox DTV Converter Box

I was given an unused Magnavox TB110MW9 set top box......without remote.

Is this unit any good ? Currently using the Zenith.

Wondering if I should bother trying to fund a remote for it.

Juan Gualda
    Fort Pierce, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Iowacane View Post
    I was given an unused Magnavox TB110MW9 set top box......without remote.

Is this unit any good ? Currently using the Zenith.

Wondering if I should bother trying to fund a remote for it.
    It's a sensitive box but you can't do manual tuning like you can with the Zenith. If you want a remote, get a Philips universal remote enter 51563, which I found here
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Mike, how is sensitivity compared to the Zenith ?

Quote Originally Posted by Iowacane View Post
    Mike, how is sensitivity compared to the Zenith ?
    I haven't had one for quite a while (years) but it was comparable, if not the same.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

I find the Zenith slightly better in terms of both sensitivity and selectivity, but the key word is slightly. The Magnavox works reasonably well as a daily watcher or for DX.

While is does not have the up/down manual tuning of the Zenith/Insignia, Zinwell or Sansonic, is does have another form of manual tuning - direct channel entry (e.g., provided there is no station in the box's memory with a given manual channel, entering said channel with a remote will cause the box to tune in on that actual channel, and store it in it's memory by the virtual channel). You can make it "clear for DX" by doing a channel scan with no antenna at all.

I've been watching WLBZ by Es on my Philco CECB (basically the same electronics in a near-white box). I just made sure not to do a scan when WJBK has a good signal into it (it would find RF 7.3 in the scan and save it as virtual 2.1 - and pressing 2 would then cause it to go to 7 and get WJBK instead)

There are MANY universal remotes with the program for the Magnavox CECB (The Magnavox, may be the most common converter box out there).
    Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
    I find the Zenith slightly better in terms of both sensitivity and selectivity, but the key word is slightly. The Magnavox works reasonably well as a daily watcher or for DX.

While is does not have the up/down manual tuning of the Zenith/Insignia, Zinwell or Sansonic, is does have another form of manual tuning - direct channel entry (e.g., provided there is no station in the box's memory with a given manual channel, entering said channel with a remote will cause the box to tune in on that actual channel, and store it in it's memory by the virtual channel). You can make it "clear for DX" by doing a channel scan with no antenna at all.

I've been watching WLBZ by Es on my Philco CECB (basically the same electronics in a near-white box). I just made sure not to do a scan when WJBK has a good signal into it (it would find RF 7.3 in the scan and save it as virtual 2.1 - and pressing 2 would then cause it to go to 7 and get WJBK instead)

There are MANY universal remotes with the program for the Magnavox CECB (The Magnavox, may be the most common converter box out there).
    Thanks for the info....

I have a Universal remote for my analog TV. The remote is a GE....I'll try it.

Thread Information