View Poll Results: What will be the fate of *FM* IBOC (HD Radio) ??

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Done Deal. It's not going away.

4 18.18%
  • Will fade and be forgotten in a couple of years

9 40.91%
  • Could go either way, I'm not sure

4 18.18%
  • It's already D.O.A but iBiquity doesn't know it.

4 18.18%
  • What the heck is IBOC?

1 4.55%

Thread: The Fate of FM IBOC (HD Radio)

Default The Fate of FM IBOC (HD Radio)

Gaze into your crystal ball and give it your best shot. Is it here to stay or DOA, or aren't you sure.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

DX is so dead here in Colorado, that I thought i'd throw my two cents in here. What do the headlines read??? If IBOC meant *something else*, (but keeping in the vein of what it is), what would the headlines read? Here's a few examples. Maybe you have a clever idea or two. Each line contains a *twist* connected to the real IBOC.

Injured Broadcasters Observe Crunch
    Intolerable Broadcasting Offers Concern
    Interference Begins Optional Considerations
    Irritating Brainstorm Overcomes Camaraderie
    Idiotic Babbling Order Commences
    Inappropriate Behavior Offends Crowd....

and so on.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

It's interesting looking back at this and seeing that most people here thought it was going to fail.

What do you think the future and current state of IBOC is now, almost 10 years later? Is HD radio going to keep expanding now that some new cars have it installed?

I was 5 when this was posted....
    Janesville,WI - Kaito KA1103 & Insignia HD portable 😜📻🔎📶

I would say that it has taken this long to take off, but now there is a real purpose in it; especially using HD2 and 3 to relay AM stations, or to feed off of translators.

Keep in mind that the "niche", or specialized, formats used on the 2 and 3, that do not serve the purpose above, have very few commercials---and at this time (as of 2016), the main channel/ownership doesn't care much if you listen or not---you will notice that the stations have no DJs and the music is just an automated system. I would say that once HD is finally mainstream, these subchannels will have programming that will be more for the masses. I do listen from time to time to a couple of these subs---after all, they are bound to change, once more ppl get HD, AND the ownership decides to actually *advertise* the niche stations.

I made a point here maybe about 8 years ago that HD subchannels were a way to compete with satellite radio, as far as the niche formats. No idea how much longer that will be true.

cd

Outside of feeding translators with their HD2/3s, most HD radio is useless. I've had a few HD radios. I have none now and have no use for one. I seriously doubt that if HD hasn't made it by now, it never will except as a source for programming translators. Still, years later, the only people who know about HD radio are people in the industry and DXers. Nobody else cares. But ibiquity, etc will keep funneling money into it even though they're bleeding financially. They are still in denial.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

I don't see HD Radio going away, at least not anytime soon. In 2015, 5 stations in Alabama went HD(WALJ, WJAB, WMRK, WTXT, WZZK), in 2016 1 station has as of now, WHVK. Even if the purpose of HD Radio is to mainly feed translators, that still is a purpose.

The biggest problem I've seen with HD, other than equipment, is the low power levels relative to the main signal. Here, I can get a great sounding connection to any of the Saga cluster in Champaign (~30 miles) and be completely unable to lock in an HD signal. In my experience, equipment choices are pitiful. Car options would require me to completely overhaul the dash of my car, and there are no good portable HD units.
    Daniel KC9HZN
    Danville, IL
    EN60

Grundig G3 (stock antenna)
    GigaWare HD Radio dongle
    Sony CRT TV, DigitalStream Converter Box, Terk HDTVa antenna
    Car radio (stock, no HD, no RDS)

Thread Information