Page 150 of 157 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 1564

Thread: OPMA is changing...

Regarding UAM Radio there is no interference between the five transmitters as they are synchronized. As an example, the closest are those located in the General Rectory of the UAM and the UAM Xochimilco. What if it happens, is that when distancing itself from the location of some transmitter the signal begins to be weaker.

Ahh OK, so they're fairly well synchronized. I imagine most of the saved headache will be dealing with RTC/INE pautas and other obligations.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Are sounds of Siltepec dancing in your head? If you get an Es opening to Tapachula, they could soon be given the surprise class given to XHSIL-FM.

Today we learned not only of the station's mountaintop location but also that it was made a Class C1 — the first new Class C of any kind in Mexico in a long time, as migration and IFT-4 did not have any stations better than B1. (I believe XHEMA, at 100 kW but with a HAAT of 162 meters, is also considered a C1, but the actual modification does not give a class to the station.) The HAAT of the site is about 1,130 meters, not even counting the height of an antenna mast.

———

File this one under "headlines that make you check today's date".

A long, long time ago–I mean more than 9 years–in a galaxy far, far away–ahem, La Presa 212, San Jerónimo Lídice–a radio strike began. It looked like this.

The red and black strike flags that have been up for nearly a decade are coming down. For the first time since May 23, 2008, the strike is over at Radio Monitor after an agreement was reached to provide indemnizations for 85 former employees of the station. This comes on the heels of the recent final award of US$40 million in favor of Grupo Radio Centro in the long-running legal case.

The end of the strike, which was the catalyst in the second-longest active station silence in Mexico (only XEDJ beats it), could pave the way for some sort of action relating to not only 1320 AM but to the sale of equipment and facilities.

Nobody will want a Mexico City AM, though they will certainly try to sell it, that is if its concession is valid and on track for renewal.

I'd imagine residents and neighbors will want to see the neglected property sold to someone who will clean it up, or repurpose it for other uses. Some cash could probably be raised from selling station equipment, plus the aforementioned property.

The questions that linger: who controls the 1320 AM concession, is it eligible for renewal/has it been renewed, and who would want an AM in Mexico City?
    Last edited by Raymie; 07-13-2017 at 01:30 AM.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

For what it's worth, 100kw/162m is indeed a C1. C1 is anything that exceeds 50kw/150m but is less than 100kw/300m. The classes are defined in the US/Mexico treaty (so they're the same in both countries) although I believe Mexico authorizes some classes that aren't allowed in the US.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

The primary difference is that A is still capped at 3 kW and there's a 6 kW class AA. Class D is also a little different. Otherwise they're identical.

Radiorama format changes are still bubbling up under the surface.

The first is that one of the two Radiorama clusters (I believe this one is from the Pereda Gómez family) in Mexicali is now in the hands of an RR partner: Grupo Larsa Comunicaciones, which in 2017 is showing an appetite to bust out of its home state.

Only one station changed formats, XHMUG, picking up the trademark Toño adult hits format of Larsa. (Fun fact: both names come from the same place. Larsa gets its name from the initials of president Luis Antonio Ramos Méndez. He's often known as, you guessed it, Toño.)
    Last edited by Raymie; 07-13-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Just 16 bidders will be in the running for the stations of IFT-6. And they're seeking stations in just 36 coverage areas in 22 states. The IFT also approved a plan to reorganize television spectrum below 608 MHz, including some bands used for land mobile services which will be relocated. Bidding for IFT-6 begins August 14.

Additionally, there was not so great news for Calvillo, Aguascalientes. Transmisiones Mik, the second-place bidder for the Calvillo, Ags. station after Tecnoradio dropped, decided not to move forward and has been disqualified from IFT-4.

MEXICO BEAT EXCLUSIVE: UAM Radio on the Move

In the two years I've been writing in this massive thread, I've had scoops from reading IFT data. But I've never had an interview.

On Sunday, the IFT announced the changes coming to UAM Radio: one transmitter instead of five with an ERP of 3 kW from the Cuajimalpa site. I sent some questions to the chief engineer of UAM Radio, Ing. Octavio Francisco Rodríguez, asking about some of the reasoning behind the changes.

A translated version of the responses is below. The original Spanish is also available. I've added a few notes.

1. Where did the idea come from to dismantle the single-frequency network thas has been operating since 2011 and replace it with just one transmitter?

The University Radio Production Program, UAM Radio 94.1 FM, presented two applications prior to the one that was approved, one to Cofetel and the other to the IFT, which were denied for technical reasons. These requests entailed an ERP of 6 kW for XHUAMC-FM without turning off the other stations in the SFN.

In 2016, the IFT, through the Radioelectric Spectrum Unit, accepted an invitation to a meeting with Claudia Meléndez Estrada, managing subdirector of UAM Radio, and with Ing. Ignacio Espinoza Abonza, the technician responsible for UAM Radio and registered Telecommunications Peer with specialization in broadcasting (1), to explain the importance and the necessity of expanding coverage of the University Radio Production Program, UAM Radio 94.1 FM.

In the meeting, the IFT proposed the possibility of accepting the ERP increase for XHUAMC-FM to 3,000 watts, as long as a directional antenna was used to aim the signal at Mexico City, and the other transmitters in the single-frequency network were removed, arguing that the power increase would cause undesirable interference to the SFN. Since we would be going to just one transmitter, we asked for the callsign XHUAM-FM.

(1) In Mexico, all engineering applications must be prepared/approved by certified Telecommunications Peers, which have registration numbers (Abonza's is 201). Peers may also have specializations, for instance the broadcasting specialization mentioned. These are mentioned in every Cofetel and IFT approval I've ever seen. For larger companies (Televisa, TV Azteca and Imagen, for instance), these peers are often employees.

2. Why was the Unidad Cuajimalpa chosen to house the new station?

It helps to mention that when the permits were issued in 2010, the coordinates corresponded to the academic units: Azcapotzalco, Iztapalapa, Xochimilco y Rectoría General [Rectory Building]. These facilities have not moved.

In the case of the Unidad Cuajimalpa, this unit moved in 2013. The transmitter remains at Av. Constituyentes 1054 (2), which was one of the four buildings that housed this campus. This facility has been XHUAMC-FM since the beginning, since at the time it was one of the buildings that housed the Unit. Currently, the Unit operates from another facility.

This location was chosen because of geographic conditions, as height plays an important role in FM broadcasting. FM broadcasting is tropospheric in nature. Because of this, and because XHUAMC had the highest altitude of the other sites, it was the ideal to location to broadcast to Mexico City.

As such, we are not talking about a new station. The station remains at Av. Constituyentes 1054.

(2) If the address looks familiar to you, Grupo Radio Centro is Av. Constituyentes 1154. The hilly west side of Mexico City is also home to a station that may serve as a technical comparison: XHUIA-FM 90.9.

3. At what ERP will XHUAM-FM broadcast?

We're awaiting the official receipt of the document that will certify the changed technical parameters, power increase and the conditions that must be met.

The filing we made to the IFT proposes an ERP of 3,000 watts, the maximum permitted for a Class A station as prescribed in Technical Disposition IFT-002-2016. (3) This was the proposal that the IFT's Commissioners approved on July 5.

(3) While Class A stations in the US can now go up to 6,000 watts, in Mexico, stations with that ERP are in a separate "AA" class.

4. With the new station, are you considering using IBOC (HD Radio) technology, which is already being used on commercial stations in Mexico City as well as Ibero 90.9?

The application that was filed with and approved by the IFT only considers analog broadcast. We hope to later join our fellow concessionaires in providing HD Radio service.

———

My thanks to Ing. Francisco Rodríguez for giving me this interview and for shedding some light on how this project evolved from the initial proposals to go to 6 kW. I imagine these were rejected because of the 400 kHz station spacing. IFT-002-2016 certainly made the 3 kW increase possible.

Raymie thanks for sharing the interview on UAM Radio.
    ___

About El Politécnico en Radio, the agreement is reached through which the creation and operation of the XHUPC-FM 95.7 MHz broadcasting station of the National Polytechnic Institute is formalized.

Hrmm, that is an interesting document right there. They've also desired a power increase and a callsign change to XHIPN-FM. But I don't think they can get 10 kW sandwiched between XHSH and XEUN. They may want to apply for 3 kW.

———

Let's Move

We don't know the identities of these stations yet, but Mexico is getting 41 new FM stations: second-round migrants.

Second-round migrants will be operating in Guanajuato, Jalisco, the State of Mexico, Puebla, Baja California, Chihuahua, Nuevo León, Sonora, Tamaulipas and Mexico City.

In eight cases, there will need to be a drawing to determine which of two equally qualified applicants gets to migrate.

Six frequencies in Sonora and Tamaulipas were not assigned — they may be added to future auctions.

Remember that second-round migrants are required to broadcast in HD Radio.

In other IFT action, XHACA, XHCMR and XHDD will be carrying out power increases. We'll probably be waiting a while to learn more about these.

Thread Information