Page 160 of 161 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161 LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 1604

Thread: OPMA is changing...

Generally similar to US regulation, depending on exactly what they mean by "sponsorships" Here, a "sponsorship" can sound an awful lot like an ad, as long as it doesn't contain a call to action ("stop in today!") or a comparison to competing providers. ("freshest produce in town"). ("Joe's Furniture has Acme office chairs in all colors. Their store at 123 Main Street can repair Lenovo and Dell computers. 212-555-1212.") would be legal.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

So 1560 is silent?

cd

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    So 1560 is silent?

cd
    It appears so.

It will be silent for *good* soon. As a migrant, it must simulcast on AM and FM for one year.

Migrants can re-apply for their former AM frequencies, but Radio Educación is probably the only one that will.

I could see the 1560 frequency eventually being used to relocate one of a couple stations in the AM expanded band (which is the Article 90 reserved band on AM — no such stations have been assigned to it yet). While it's not possible to do so with most of the FMs between 106 and 108, some IFT commissioners have been strident in not voting for the renewals of grandfathered FM stations, and they are getting renewed only because no other stations of equivalent class are available.

As such, XEANAH and XEARZ could very well move. XEUACH is an odd case — the Universidad Autónoma Chapingo was awarded a new station on a new concession for some reason (XECHAP-AM 1130).
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Quote Originally Posted by Raymie View Post
    T

Since September 2007, the absolute control of XEFAJ has always been exercised by the Henkel family, in full compliance with the law, and with the knowledge of regulators, its signal was radiated from land owned by Grupo Radio México [should be Grupo Radio Centro -RH],2.
    I think it was actually "Grupo Radio México" which was Francisco Aguirre's own company and which briefly operated 1560 after Gutiérrez Vivó was "evicted". Eventually, GRM and GRC merged, as Francisco consolidated his control of GRC.

They used a GRC ID. Also, GRM never operated in Mexico City, basically to protect GRC. So that's why I was skeptical.

Meanwhile, do you want to broadcast to Chignahuapan, Puebla? Sak Telecom, S.A. de C.V., didn't, do Mario Óscar Beteta Vallejo gets another chance to add his portfolio —*after he passed on yet another station, at San José del Cabo. Perhaps the low price tag for his bid will entice him?

For the record, that makes three bidders that declined. Producciones Detochomorocho was the original bidder. Corporación Sonitel came in second. Sak Telecom came in third.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

They used a GRC ID. Also, GRM never operated in Mexico City, basically to protect GRC. So that's why I was skeptical.
    1560, when it was doing the all-mariachi format, was run by Francisco Aguirre Gómez independent of GRC. This caused considerable annoyance with the rest of the family, particularly Carlos... who regaled me with the story of his irritation over lunch some years ago. It seems that the Aguirre family members had been bound by a "promise" to never compete in Mexico City, and Carlos' operation of 1560 was a violation of this accord. I would imagine that the fact that the station was an AM on 1560 made it less of an issue, although it bore the initials of the founder of the original ORC, Francisco Aguirre Jiménez.

What's interesting is that I do not see the name of Fraancisco Aguirre Kranz on any of the documents recently; he had been running his father's stations in northern Mexico under the GRM banner and always impressed me as being a good broadcaster. He is the son of Francisco and singer Emily Kranz, who had some Top 40 hits that ORC played in the 60's on XERC and XEJP.

A particular difficulty will be finding a way to get into Ciudad Juárez, which is one of the country's most spectrum-saturated cities.
    Pretty sure there's room on high-VHF.

- Trip
    Come visit RabbitEars for all your digital TV subchannel informational needs.

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    1560, when it was doing the all-mariachi format, was run by Francisco Aguirre Gómez independent of GRC. This caused considerable annoyance with the rest of the family, particularly Carlos... who regaled me with the story of his irritation over lunch some years ago. It seems that the Aguirre family members had been bound by a "promise" to never compete in Mexico City, and Carlos' operation of 1560 was a violation of this accord. I would imagine that the fact that the station was an AM on 1560 made it less of an issue, although it bore the initials of the founder of the original ORC, Francisco Aguirre Jiménez.

What's interesting is that I do not see the name of Fraancisco Aguirre Kranz on any of the documents recently; he had been running his father's stations in northern Mexico under the GRM banner and always impressed me as being a good broadcaster. He is the son of Francisco and singer Emily Kranz, who had some Top 40 hits that ORC played in the 60's on XERC and XEJP.
    Wow. That explains a lot (and it could recur again with Francisco Aguirre Gómez having the TV concession in his name). XEINFO during the 2011-12 period did mention GRC in its IDs but did not play PSAs or INE spots, a potential cause for revocation of its concession.

Of course, Carlos left GRC in 2013 and participated on his own in IFT-4, where he benefited from rollover of stations. He passed on a station in San José del Cabo but will set up shop in Puerto Morelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    Pretty sure there's room on high-VHF.

- Trip
    That's true. A high-V would be a very likely frequency assignment in any event, as the IFT prefers high-Vs for new social and public stations except in international coordination cases. (While it puts them at a disadvantage, it also ensures that the high-VHF spectrum is at least used.) All the high-Vs except 13 (KCOS) would be available for use in Juárez.

———

One item of note in today's news:

La Crónica de Hoy obtained documents via a transparency request from the SCT. These documents are non-binding opinions on radio station bidders in IFT-4. While Tecnoradio did not get one, two previously unreported parties to the auction did: Fórmula Radiofónica and Compañía Periodística Criterios. These concessionaires own some of the Radio Fórmula stations and XHAJ in Saltillo, respectively.

The IFT had yet another meeting (on October 4), primarily consisting of:

-Three resolutions to banish Proyecto 40 from the books and replace it with ADN 40. It took this long, for some reason.
    -The unanimous denial of a station concession to Shuta Yoma, A.C. (I believe it was seeking the same frequency as the other Oaxaca applicant: see below. Shuta Yoma apparently also has ties to a recently revived state political party, which could be part of the reason.)
    -The award of social community stations to: Ojtakuarhu, A.C. (Chilchota, Mich.), Pátzcuaro en Comunidad, A.C. (Pátzcuaro, Mich.), Esperanza, Destino e Identidad Global, A.C. (Oaxaca City and other localities).
    -Some permit to concession transfers, including one oddball: XHITT, which (as it is now apparently owned by a foundation for the technological institute) is actually a social station.
    -10 FM station technical changes.

I went hunting through Infomex to look for transparency requests fulfilled by the IFT that had to do with broadcasting and topics of interest in this space. I found a few worth discussing.

Public Station Applications

One transparency request asked the IFT about requests for public broadcast stations. Here are a few of the noteworthy hitters:

Centro Estatal de Prevención Social del Delito y Participación Ciudadana de Yucatán (3 stations) - Also known as CEPREDEY (still a mouthful), this is a state agency of Yucatán. This agency apparently conducts anti-crime campaigns. Yucatán has never had a state radio service.

Consejo para el Desarrollo Integral del Municipio de Tierra Blanca Guanajuato y sus Comunidades Indígenas, A.C. (1 station) - You can probably figure out where this one would be. The request for a *public* station from a civil association is rather baffling.

Several municipalities: The municipalities of Tepic, Guadalajara, and Sahuaripa (Sonora) placed a request each.

SPR (34 stations) - The SPR, as might be expected, has brought a lot of proposals in recent years.

Universidad Autónoma Agraria Antonio Narro (1 station) - Anyone want to take bets on what this is? If you've been reading me a while, you should know.

Universidad de Occidente (2 stations) - One was probably their bid for a Culiacán TV station that the IFT had to turn down because the SPR had priority for the only available allocation. I suspect the other is for a radio station there. The U de O currently only broadcasts to Los Mochis.

Universidad Pedagógica del Estado de Sinaloa (1) - This is a new name for radio watchers. This is an educational university (as its name implies, it primarily exists for teacher formation). They already have an online station. The UPES operates in all three major cities in Sinaloa, so it's unclear where they are looking for a station.

Universidad Tecnológica de la Región Norte de Guerrero (1) - Permit discontinuity much?

Universidad Autónoma del Carmen (1) - Either they want in TV, or they want to expand to Sabancuy with their radio service. They did file for a station there once.

Requests for Social Community and Indigenous Stations

This one was a list of names and localities applied for. Some have gotten the IFT green light (as recently as last week), while others still await word from the Pleno.

A few of the intriguing applicants are...

Grupo Radio Huejúcar, A.C. - Huejucar, Jal.
    Fundación Guish Bac, Abriendo Los Cielos, A.C. - Tlacolula de Matamoros, Oax.
    Labaa Centro de Desarrollo Comunitario, S.C. - Teotitlán del Valle and a boatload of other small towns (this is Oaxaca after all)
    Wenceslao Monroy Arias - Tenango del Valle, Edomex
    Radio KD, A.C. - Cadereyta de Montes and Tequisquiapan, Qro. (one of a few dual-station applicants)
    Grupo Radioasta, A.C. - Ensenada, BC
    Maja de la Jornada, A.C. - San Mateo Atenco, Edomex (in the Toluca metro)
    Difución Para La Cultura Y Ayuda Social, A.C. - Tecamac, Edomex (north of Mexico City, name is [sic])

One applicant, Digital con Sentido Social 106.3, A.C. (Chilpancingo, Gro.), is immediately recognizable as a pirate forced off the air a year ago.

The XHDCC and XHHCC permitholders also appear here, likely to resolve permit discontinuities.

Shuta Yoma, who had the door shut-a (couldn't resist) on them last week, had applied for stations in San Juan Bautista Cuicatlán, Villa de Zaachila and other localities, and Huautla de Jiménez.

A few names I recognized on the list from their membership in ORC, which also, as has been noted before, applied for its own station to serve the Colima metropolitan area.

RCBC Comunicación, A.C. -*Many more stations than you'd think. They applied for quite a few.

Those were some of the 113 community requests. 18 indigenous stations were also applied for, some by ACs, including that Tierra Blanca grupo (which evidently goes by COMUDI). Most of the proposed stations would broadcast to Michoacán, Oaxaca and Puebla.

BCS Broadcasters-to-Be?

One request for information asked for information on all the noncommercial radio stations applied for in Baja California Sur since 2014. Here's that list:

2014: Universidad Autónoma de Baja California Sur, TDT

2015: Seven stations were applied for in 2015 from four bidders. Three sought untyped social stations, and each one of them wanted both La Paz 95.1 and San José del Cabo 91.5.

Fundación Radiodifusoras Capital Jalisco, Luis Roberto Márquez Pizano, and Asociación Cultural Fronteriza, A.C.

ACF has applied for stations in Baja California in the past, as has a similarly named group with the same legal representative, who also services Media Sports de México (concessionaire for several BC stations owned by Jaime Bonilla). Márquez Pizano evidently has a history in Mexican radio programming, with programming efforts at Radioactivo, Best FM and Pirata FM among others.

The first one is nominally a new entrant, but it is clearly a social wolf for Capital Media. Fundación Radiodifusoras Capital, A.C. (no Jalisco) owns XHORE-FM Morelia.

XHOLP-FM is also in this batch.

2016: Three groups want to set up Article 90 reserved band community stations in La Paz:

Radio Paceñita, A.C.
    Corazón de las Californias, A.C.
    Autonomía Comunicacional, A.C. (there's also a reference to this party having applied for a station in Guerrero Negro, and I don't blame 'em...given the state of radio there, BCS sorely needs "communicational autonomy")

All in all, it's table scraps, but some are interesting, and others are kind of baffling.

Thread Information