Page 151 of 151 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151
Results 1,501 to 1,504 of 1504

Thread: OPMA is changing...

The IFT's on Break

No business happened today at Insurgentes Sur, or indeed no business will happen at the IFT for two weeks. That's because the agency today ushered in its annual two-week summer break.

It's a good time to reset and look at the events of the year and the developments we can look forward to from now through December.

IFT-4

IFT-4 is almost over. Aside from some deadlines for second-place bidders to pay, their concession awards, the formal declaration and the external audit, we can close the books on IFT-4 as an auction.

At some point, I anticipate that we will get information on the callsigns of the new stations (see below, actually), and further down the line, technical information. However, this may be hard to come by early on. Information on studios and transmitter facilities may come at first from station IDs. Many stations should be on air by the end of the year.

The presence of new stations, especially in regions of the country friendly to Es and tropo DX and with stations in classes as high as B1, should lead to a variety of new logs for DXers. The return of a number of AM frequencies may satisfy DXers who haven't had new commercial AMs to log from Mexico in a very long time, though programming may not be that exciting.

——

We have callsigns for 14 stations now as a result of mostly RPC additions.

FM callsigns begin with P (why, I have no clue) and three letters denoting the community. Examples: XHPGYM 93.3 (Sonora Emedios in Guaymas), XHPCTN 88.3 (Multimedios Radio dba Radio Informativa in Compostela, Nay.), XHPCIE 90.5 (Radio Zócalo in Cuatro Ciénegas, Coah.). This latter callsign was announced publicly by Zócalo themselves.

AM callsigns integrate the concessionaire's name and the location. We know of two. Radio Operadora Pegasso will be putting on air 1030 kHz in Lagos de Moreno, Jalisco, as XEROPJ. XEFRTM 770 in FResnillo, Zacatecas, belongs to Transmisiones Mik.

IFT-6

IFT-6, while set to deliver far less than a national network (the 36 stations in 22 coverage areas cover about 60% of the country), will be bid out next month. We will learn the identities of the 16 bidders at that time.

Here's a list of the folio numbers and the number of stations each bidder has sought:

A1-431222 2
    AF-223042 1
    C9-504525 2
    I0-220022 1
    M9-531341 7
    P0-340204 3
    Q0-250031 1
    R1-103343 1
    R1-151504 3
    R5-415113 1
    R9-502524 2
    T0-551252 5
    T1-013032 1
    T1-510541 13
    T9-012555 1
    TG-550512 1

The bidders AF and TG are people with initials FA and GT, respectively, if the pattern from IFT-4 holds. The others are companies. Half of the bidders are seeking just one station, while only two bidders seek six or more.

Second-Wave Migration

This past week's announcement of second-wave migrants being authorized begins the ticking clock for what will be remembered more as the most important HD Radio expansion in Mexican history than a cleanup from migration.

We don't know eight of these yet, because there are tied applicants that must be separated by drawing.

New Public and Social Stations

There has been an unusual dearth of new noncommercial assignments in the last few months, probably because of demands related to IFT-4, IFT-6 and second-wave migration. We should see activity pick back up to usual levels in the second half of the year.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

The fact that concessions and callsigns have been trickling in is giving us a chance to review ownership ties. The biggest story so far concerns two bidders, Radio Operadora Pegasso and Transmisiones Mik, which each acquired AM stations (Lagos de Moreno and Fresnillo, respectively).

The two stations have different legal addresses, but they share something in common: Avenida Aguascalientes Norte 711 in Aguascalientes and Carretera Panamericana Salida Norte s/n, Colonia Industrial, Fresnillo, Zacatecas.

Both of these locations are home to car dealerships. And not just any car dealership. Torres Corzo Nissan.

At first, I thought the Torres might be tied to Torres Corporativo Radio, which ultimately decided not to go through with its pursuit to reclaim 610 AM Fresnillo. Instead, I learned that Torres Corzo has an automotive presence in other states.

And that there's a senator for San Luis Potosí named...Teófilo Torres Corzo. His SIL profile includes mentions of sitting on the board of directors of a bunch of companies, including some newspapers.

While I attempted to figure out what was going on, this article provided the lead. It's from SLP as well, an interview republished on the occasion of the death of Elías Navarro Martínez, who was one of FM's biggest promoters there — he started XHOD and XHPM.

It mentions that he combined his stations with those of Carlos Torres Corzo (there's our name again) to form...GlobalMedia.

So will this be GlobalMedia's expansion outside of San Luis...on AM stations, no less, having avoided the Calvillo FM? It sure makes you wonder...
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

I can't find this information for anywhere other than Puebla, but we know the identities of the five AM-FM migrants in Puebla.

I predicted the migrants in January:

Radiorama's XEZAR 920 and ABC Radio's XEEG 1280 are shoe-ins as neither owns FMs in Puebla. XEPA is sort of independent and could also migrate. Simply because of the amount of available stations, Grupo Oro, Grupo ACIR and maybe Cincoradio are likely to get one FM each.
    Indeed, XEZAR, XEEG and XEPA are among the migrants, and Grupo Oro (not Cincoradio, whoops) got on the board with XECD.

I whiffed on #5 because I forgot about Tribuna Comunicación, the franchisee for MVS in Puebla with one FM already. Its 1250 AM XEZT was given the green light.

As such Puebla will have these new stations:

XEPA 89.7
    XEEG 92.1
    XECD 92.9
    XEZT 95.5
    XEZAR 96.1

Callsigns are not available, but XHPA and XHCD are already in use for other radio stations and will not be assigned. XHEG, XHZT and XHZAR are available, in the case of the latter reviving a callsign that was used for a former Nuevo León state network FM.
    Last edited by Raymie; 07-20-2017 at 12:18 AM. Reason: correct owner of XECD

Yarrrr! Another pirate has attracted attention, this time on 102.1 in Saltillo. "La Estación de la Raza" doesn't have a concession, so the CIRT and state deputy Melchor Sánchez de la Fuente (more on him in a minute) want it shut down by the IFT. The deputy says this pirate is causing interference to Saltillo's licensed radio stations.

Sánchez knows more than something about radio. He's the son of Radio Medios de Coahuila (Monclova) founder Melchor Sánchez Dovalina, who put XHMS, the state's first FM, on the air in 1966. More recently, he's been a state and federal deputy and is a member of the PRI.

Thread Information