Page 139 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 1390

Thread: OPMA is changing...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    Is there an emoji for *egg on my face*??? I knew it was Trión all along and didn't even REALIZE I was typing a typo!!! Maybe I didn't get enuf sleep last night. Hmmm. DB has been corrected. I would make a correction to my previous post but that wouldn't be wiping the egg off my face.
    You were probably thinking about the car brand. I'm still baffled as to why this is coming out of Radio Fórmula, though.

My personal hunch is that RF is rolling this out particularly in areas with more young people and also in the areas where it has two FMs.

The second case would cover additional markets, namely Acapulco and Mérida (and also Mexico City, but...)

The first case might explain Mazatlán or Coatza, which are cases where RF has one station.

I also think Trión might be rolled out on the FMs Radio Fórmula gets in new-round migrants (GDL and MTY especially).
    Last edited by Raymie; 03-21-2017 at 08:22 PM.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post

Is this just plain old acoustic alternative??? And EE songs to boot? Maybe someone else knows. Audio clip attached of a live stream recording.
    Keep in mind that English language music played in Latin America does not always follow the charts and lists from the US or other English speaking countries, and the format definitions are obviously different.

Going way back, there's a fact that demonstrates this clearly: Credence Clearwater Revival sold more records and got much more airplay across Latin America than the Beatles. So it should come as no surprise that there are formats of English language music that just don't fit US descriptors.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymie View Post
    They also had quite the launch party in León for it. I never thought Fórmula would be up to this...
    Not as big a surprise as you might think! Rogerio Azcárraga, the owner of Radio Fórmula, personally managed A&R for his record label, Orfeón, which in the 60's was one of the pioneer promoters of local pop/rock in its early years in Mexico. Rogerio also owned XEDF, "La DF" on 970 AM which was one of the big three Top 40 stations in Mexico City along with Radio Éxitos 790 and Radio Mil on 1000 (XERC and XEOY).

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    Not as big a surprise as you might think! Rogerio Azcárraga, the owner of Radio Fórmula, personally managed A&R for his record label, Orfeón, which in the 60's was one of the pioneer promoters of local pop/rock in its early years in Mexico. Rogerio also owned XEDF, "La DF" on 970 AM which was one of the big three Top 40 stations in Mexico City along with Radio Éxitos 790 and Radio Mil on 1000 (XERC and XEOY).

That is true. But in more recent years, Radio Fórmula had no music-heavy stations. This was especially true of their stations outside of Mexico City which they bought to extend RF's program reach. I mean...the last time they had this much music on a station was maybe XEDF-FM "Radio Uno" (grupera) in the 90s?
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Quote Originally Posted by Raymie View Post
    That is true. But in more recent years, Radio Fórmula had no music-heavy stations. This was especially true of their stations outside of Mexico City which they bought to extend RF's program reach. I mean...the last time they had this much music on a station was maybe XEDF-FM "Radio Uno" (grupera) in the 90s?
    That was the last of the music operations up until now. I am wondering if Rogelio is sensing saturation in talk programming and looking for lower cost, less politically sensitive programming. If AMLO should win next year... as the polls indicate... we may see a radical swing towards more regulation.

When he was doing music formats, he was very passionate about them... at one point I was discussing managing his FMs in Mexico City and he saw them as the future of radio; that was in the mid-70's when FM still had very low shares.

The multiprogramming train stopped by the IFT on March 8...

TELEVISA and locals

XHSLV
    XHLPB
    XHQRO

AZTECA

4 stations (presumably a+)
    a+ in Mexico City (XHIMT)

DENIED!

XHAS

There were also new station awards:

Comunidad Indígena Mixteca de San Pedro Tututepec, social indigenous FM (Oaxaca)
    RCBC Comunicación, A.C., social community FM (Taxco, Iguala and Buenavista de Cuéllar, Gro.) This station will probably be located in the latter as RCBC stands for Radio Comunitaria de Buenavista de Cuéllar. Has previously operated as a pirate on 97.7 MHz.
    Universidad Autónoma de Querétaro, public TV (Querétaro)

One more item, from the INE...

We now know the locations of some additional Imagen TV transmitters...

Aguascalientes: Cerro de los Gallos (probably shared with the SPR)
    León: Cerro Gordo (SPR, not MVS which is elsewhere)
    SHADOW Melchor Ocampo Edomex: Guadalupe and Oxtoc, Tultepec, Edomex (19°41'43.27", -99°08'13.24"). There is a massive telecom tower but no broadcast equipment at the site indicated. This is a newly discovered shadow (and an important one given all the coverage complaints from Edomex viewers when Imagen TV started up!).
    Tijuana: This tower, matching FCC data (still skeptical of 350 kW ERP)
    Tuxtla Gutiérrez: Av. Cipres 14, Cerro Mactumactza (shared with the SPR)
    Uruapan: Cerro de la Cruz (shared with the SPR; speaking of XHOPUM, there have been some changes in its technical parameters consisting of moving the SPR antenna up 10 meters and changing the beam tilt to -8 degrees!)
    Veracruz Puerto: XHQRV-FM tower, Calle Jiménez (former Ultravisión offices)

I suspected Aguascalientes, Tuxtla and Uruapan were on SPR sites, especially Uruapan. The first two had similar coverage maps to the SPR transmitters. Tijuana was specified anyway but it's nice to see it here. I also suspected Imagen would use its own tower in Veracruz. Melchor Ocampo is a nice surprise.

Not seen yet anywhere: La Paz, Chilpancingo. I don't think either is on air. Tepic is mentioned in the context that in January when the document came out, they were working hard to get it to air because Nayarit has gubernatorial elections this year.
    Last edited by Raymie; 03-25-2017 at 02:49 AM. Reason: confirmed Tuxtla - SPR

It's the question we've been asking since the IFT-4 high bidders were unmasked...

"Who is Tecnoradio?"

We now know two of the shareholders.

Holding 306 of Tecnoradio's shares is is Cenobio Alfonso Amilpas González. He's been a legal representative for two cable TV companies, as well as XHEPI-FM Tixtla, Guerrero, and has a long history in the radio business.

More surprising is the other large shareholder, with 249 shares: Carlos Lara Sumano, current director of the Instituto Mexicano de la Radio. That has Gabriel Sosa Plata and others confused and a little worried about potential influence.

Roundup of stories from IFT meeting documents:

Multiprogramming: The XHAS denial was specifically in reference to their attempt to put Telemundo in SD on their DT3 (it was filed prior to the announcement of lost affiliation, on November 18, 2016). They were told no. They did get LATV on DT2, which they've had anyway. XHLPB and XHQRO were Gala TV. XHSLV's auth doesn't make it clear what the second sub is really for.

Chiapas, Chiapas, Chiapas: The Radio Siltepec concession specifies 99.9 MHz (station had been on 102.5). The Chilón, Chis. indigenous station is not new - it is a permit transfer of XHBAK-FM.

The most interesting move, by far, is related to a few things. You might recall the 2017 PABF calls for some TV stations whose defined coverage areas are entire states and which are clearly tailored for the state networks. XHTTG is the first one of those. The Chiapas state government can now set up shadows of XHTTG anywhere in the state, converting Canal 10 Chiapas into an SFN.

XHSBB, XHITC and XHTAA, which were the other three remaining permits on hand after the SCHRTyC shed six of them, would be given six months to be converted into shadow XHTTG, probably without changes to the viewer besides sharing RF 44.

Expect this to happen in Veracruz, Tlaxcala and Nayarit in the near future. Here's the relevant part of the 2017 PABF:

That moment you realize XHVTV actually has two shadows and a main stick...

(They are located at the Panamá 200 Matamoros and Herón Ramírez 1015 Reynosa sites.)

That also confirms the pretty-much-known shadow XHOR Reynosa.

I learned of one additional digital shadow by this method... XHTPG Cima de Cerro Alto, Mpio. de Xalisco, Nay. (approx 21°26'54.2"N 104°58'28.5"W)

Thread Information