Page 106 of 157 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1568

Thread: OPMA is changing...

Quote Originally Posted by NN2E View Post
    Thanks a bunch! I'll add them to my DTV 'shopping list.' The Matamoros / Reynosa area is probably going to be my best shot at logging a Mexican DTV.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    Their VCs after VC-Day (in order) are 13, 9, 54, 2, 8, 7, 13, and 12.

As for the other areas...

NUEVO LAREDO

RF 17 (VC 17) - XEFE
    RF 25 (VC 4) - XHBR
    RF 45 (VC 12) - XHNAT
    RF 50 (VC 21) - XHLNA (note out of line VC)
    RF 51 (VC 7) - XHLAT
    RF 38 (VC 57) - XHLAR (also non-standard VC)

The stations in Nuevo Laredo have decent ERPs, unlike those in Piedras Negras (the highest-powered stations have 43 kW):

RF 25 (VC 13) - Shadow XHHE
    RF 32 (VC 7) - XHPNG
    RF 38 (VC 2) - XHPNT
    RF 43 (VC 5) - XHPNH
    RF 39 (VC 12) - XHPNW
    RF 44 (VC 4) - XHPN

Ciudad Acuña is not better, with a maximum ERP of 50 kW:

RF 25 (VC 13) - XHHE
    RF 32 (VC 7) - Shadow XHPNG
    RF 34 (VC 2) - XHAMC
    RF 36 (VC 58) - XHCAW
    RF 43 (VC 5) - XHCHW

Your best bet is probably the RGV area and maybe Nuevo Laredo, but if you're lucky, don't count out Coahuila...
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Thanks again! I've got them all copied and added to 'the list.' Yall have saved me hours of connecting / reconnecting / refreshing / cursing, etc. Now, a little help from the tropo-propagation Gods is all I ask. :-)

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

By the way, those are post-VC-Day virtual channels. I've put them in there for the long haul.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Meeting the Wrecking Ball? The Edificio Puga Arriaga in San Luis Potosí

When the technical documents for Imagen stations came out, I recognized one of the addresses that was provided for a transmitter site: Av. Venustiano Carranza #985, Col. Moderna, San Luis Potosí. I remembered it from a station ID file uploaded to YouTube, a 90s ID for XHPM-FM back when MVS Radio was still in San Luis and Stereorey was still a national network. XHPM moved from the site in 2009 or so, after MVS proper left San Luis and the stations passed to its local partner, Controladora de Medios.

When Radio FM SLP, an excellent Facebook and Twitter page that has picked up some of my findings, put out this news, someone mentioned something I had not heard about the facility. It was to be demolished.

To figure out what's going on, we need to learn about what's wrong. For that, we have an article from Plano Informativo, and I will translate it in full.

———

Edificio Puga to be demolished
    Proposal to construct a new building capable of withstanding natural disasters
    Emilia Monreal, Plano Informativo, February 4, 2016

The Edificio Puga, considered among the oldest buildings in San Luis Potosí, with a height of 56 meters, will be remodeled, and there is talk of its possible demolition, in order to rebuild it with the necessary structural support, as it has always been vulnerable in windy seasons or when earthquakes have been felt in the area.

Located at the corner of Av. Venustiano Carranza with Calle Benigno Arriaga, the building has 14 floors, not counting the first floor and penthouse. In recent years, it has suffered some damage, such as on December 9 of last year, when it had to be partially evacuated after the elevator, which has always been a problem in the building, collapsed.

Besides the frequent complaints of the workers of ISSSTE [the state health agency for civil servants], due to the constant evacuations, the building, among the oldest in the capital city, has always been pointed to as a risk.

As of now, some offices that were being rented out have been evicted, on the grounds that the building is to be remodeled.

It was also the home for many years of the old Stereorey radio station, where one of the first radio newscasts was begun and broadcast.

Although there has been some resistance to the project, confidential sources reported that since December they have stopped renting some of the offices, claiming remodeling. On various occasions, Civil Protection has argued that the building is not in usable condition, as it lacks a series of capabilities that guarantee the safety and structural stability for the people who work in it and for those who may have business, particularly in the ISSSTE offices.

———

Código San Luis has another article, which I will also translate. It is from March 1 of this year.

Edificio Puga, 35 Years Later
    Unionized ISSSTE workers in San Luis Potosí ask for the state offices to be moved; the building does not have adequate safety measures; it is not appropriate for people with disabilities
    Omar Acosta, Código San Luis, March 1, 2016

On February 19, unionized ISSSTE workers from the San Luis Potosí delegation held a demonstration, in which they argued that the Edificio Puga, located on Av. Carranza in this city, is no longer sufficient to handle the different administrative processes that currently take place in its offices.

Led by Juanita Arriaga, Secretary General of the union, workers expressed their fear of staying in the building, given that the useful life of the building had ended. For her part, the Secretary General assured that on several occasions she had sent letters to the [ISSSTE] delegate in San Luis and had talked with federal authorities, with no response.

Chief among the reasons listed for a change in facilities were the many rightsholders who come to the building daily, mainly between the ages of 30 and 65. Some of them must use wheelchairs, which creates problems when it comes time to arrive at the floor and office necessary. Additionally, the building's stairs and elevators are so old that they make it impossible for people with disabilities to get around.

The administrative and filing spaces have grown in number and size, Arriaga claimed, and it has become so convoluted that it is impossible to offer quality service to members. She also talked about the sanitary conditions, which she described as not appropriate for the office's staff, as the bathrooms were insufficient and extremely small, dealing with constant drainage and infrastructure issues.

Código San Luis went to investigate a bit more about the topic and went to the Edificio Puga to try and corroborate the reports of the complainants. We first went to find Rubén Moreno, who is in charge of civil protection at the building. After searching for him on different floors, we found him on the sixth floor with personnel of Extintores Chong who were changing out the building's fire extinguishers to remain up to code; however, it would be a conversation we will talk more about later.

Our first questions revolved around the building's structural condition. Ruben stated that the building has major construction issues, being a 35-year-old structure. Its windows, from floor to ceiling, are completely vulnerable during windy season, when workers enter into panic due to the noise and the volume of air that rushes into the building.

One present item are the emergency stairs on the outside of the building. However, they seemed more for decoration than utility; what's more, it's almost prohibited to use them as they are not completely anchored to the wall of the building, only minor solders and some screws half-ready to come out. On this matter, Rubén told us that state civil protection had already recommended the removal of these emergency exits, given the potential for accidents.

When we asked him about the state of the elevators, he told us they were the same ones the building opened with, using a basic fuse mechanism. We accompanied Rubén for 14 floors down to the elevator control room. People certainly are scared to use the elevators given the constant failures they have. To get to the control room, one must take an adapted and sturdy staircase. Once inside, we found a large motor with pulleys and cables, as well as small pieces that are activated when the elevator is called or a floor is selected.

Rubén explained to us that it is a basic mechanism which can be operated manually. Given the recurrent failures, the staff has developed a technique to free [ISSSTE] rightsholders that are trapped in the elevator, which takes about 15 to 20 minutes to identify where the person is trapped and up to 40 to get them out.

On the matter of fire extinguishers, as we mentioned earlier, the building managed to contract Extintores Chong, considered one of the better businesses in the category and which offers installation and fire prevention training. Standards require enclosed spaces to have a fire extinguisher every 14 meters; Rubén says that this rule is met and exceeded.

The workers also discussed the lack of space for file storage. In our investigation, we found an office used for file storage. The filing cabinets next to the window had begun to tip onto the window, bringing with it the fear of breaking glass due to the cabinets' weight.

The bathroom problem which Juanita Arriaga referred to during her press event was more than noticeable. Their small size makes it impossible for wheelchairs to enter, while deteriorating plumbing makes the faucets unusable.

When we met with the municipal head of civil protection, Heladio Tristán Tristán, he denied any request on behalf of ISSSTE employees to issue a technical study in order to pressure the building's owner to renovate or demolish the building. He claimed that those were rumors in light of the building's decay but that nothing was closed off on the matter.

And it's true. While the unhappy workers express their discontent for their workplace, the ISSSTE delegate in San Luis Potosí, Alberto Rodríguez Jacob, has implemented a policy of ignoring their requests, with the hope that the problems and demands are forgotten, demands coming not only from the workers, but from the rightsholders that every day must try their luck in this slowly collapsing building.

———

For their part, building administration placed an ad in newspapers, calling rumors of its demolition a lie and stating that the elevators have been certified by their manufacturers.

...I really have to wonder why Imagen chose this site.

The SPR isn't here yet, and it could be that Imagen is building on Edificio Puga as a short-term solution before moving to, say, Cerro de los Caballos (home to most TV stations in SLP) on a new tower shared with the SPR (when they build their fourth-wave stations). The IPN is here too, so it's not like options Imagen used in other cities weren't available.

As I was reviewing the list of stations by virtual channels released by the IFT and processing it, I came across a channel swap I had not known of before.

It occurred in Veracruz and involved XHAJ (old 5) and XHAI (old 9). XHAI was the Canal 5 repeater for central Veracruz, while XHAJ was half of Telever, broadcasting the local programs to the area. XHAJ, however, got VC 5, while XHAI was labeled "Local" and given VC 8. (XHCLV Gala TV got VC 16.)

I was not sure why. As two stations from the same site, XHAJ and XHAI should be almost identical. Then I checked my list of shadows again and realized there's one difference.

Both XHAJ and XHAI have shadows in Orizaba, on Cerro Macuilacatl, and in Nogales. So do XHAH (Las Estrellas) and XHCLV. But there's one extra shadow for XHAJ which is outside the service area of the central Veracruz transmitter region.

It's located in San Andrés Tuxtla, which is 235 km away from Las Lajas. That's among the most distant shadows in the country, if not the record holder, with about 25 km on XHI between Obregón and Mochis. (It still beats it out in a tower-to-tower measurement with 222 km.) Furthermore, it's an oddity. XHAJ's RF is 49. But shadow XHAJ San Andrés Tuxtla is on RF *3*9. That's not a misprint, and it's not like there is a 49 around to spoil the party. There's an RF 39 in Veracruz, though: XHAH.

Furthermore, the reports of XHAJ to Canal 5, even with the shadow, are baffling. The next town over is Santiago Tuxtla, with which San Andrés forms a metro area known as "los dos Tuxtlas" (the Two Tuxtlas). It's in Santiago Tuxtla that we find XHATV (old 3), which I had on the books as Canal 5, and the Televisa transmitter site on Cerro El Vigía (out west), plus Azteca's two stations. San Andrés has a transmitter for the state network, XHGVS RF 26, and an Imagen allotment, RF 23. The two Tuxtlas have three radio stations between them: the most noteworthy, XHDQ-FM 103.9, was the first station of Grupo ACIR and retains a throwback logo and special name.

One extra item helps to resolve some of the mystery. Shadow XHAJ may have been in reality more of a shadow XHAH, as CE was completely missing. Just a couple of years ago, the IFT's list of Canal 5 stations included XHATV. Given its provenance as one of the "rural" stations awarded in the 80s, not having CE was kind of odd.

The shadow XHAJ, however, needed to be brought in line with its parent. The main way to do that without changing anything else was to flip the main transmitter to C5, XHATV to Estrellas, and XHAI to local.

On this week's edition of "They Shut Down Our Station"...our unfortunate victim is in the capital city.

That's right, today it was a Mexico City station that got seized. Radio Zapote broadcast on 102.1 MHz and had been on air for 15 years on the frequency.

I like how the IFT seizes community stations. But religious ones, as illegal as them, are still on air.

^ Divine intervention?

cd

We have a Laguna:

XHCTTR-TDT will operate from Cerro de las Noas in Torreón with 160 kW ERP. 25-31-29, -103-27-21. The tower is not being shared with other broadcasting services.

And now...it's time to play it again with a second edition of "They Shut Down Our Radio Station" this week!

The unfortunate station was Radio Notisur on 106.1 MHz in Chilpancingo, Guerrero, which was seized by the PGR yesterday. Apparently its public demands and complaints against the local government weren't being well received.

Thread Information