Page 113 of 164 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1636

Thread: OPMA is changing...

I have no idea what prompted El Economista to write about this long-running radio station dispute, but...it's not often you see the name Infored in a news piece from 2016!
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

"Now batting, for Imagen, wearing #39..."

It's XHCTRM-TDT for Reynosa and Matamoros. And I do mean both of them!

Revealed today by the FCC (FIDs 199669 and 199670). It's also believed to be the first Imagen station to carry a shadow (as it needs to).

Main XHCTRM will be located at Reynosa and broadcast from 26°04'35.7", -98°17'13" with 145.55 kW.

The shadow in Matamoros will pump out 40 kW from 25°52'17.7", -97°30'18".

I can't find a tower at the exact Matamoros location (though Azteca is nearby, which would be a first) and Street View does not cover the Reynosa location.

There does seem to be a stick very close by at Reynosa on Av. Herón Ramírez. A search of the street name indicates that this is probably Multimedios. That would make two Imagen stations on MM towers (the other is in Ciudad Victoria). XHCTRM's antenna height would be 5 meters below shadow XHVTV's.

Matamoros could be one of a few things. Azteca's nearby, but so are XEEW-FM, and potentially most importantly, 2300 feet away is Calle Panamá 200, Col. Modelo, a Multimedios FM transmission site.
    Last edited by Raymie; 10-14-2016 at 02:08 AM.

There's also one small item community radio news tonight:

La Mexicanita Sapichu, A.C., operating a pirate on 88.9 in Sicuicho/Los Reyes, Michoacán, will move to 104.5 MHz and take the callsign XHMXS-FM. Full technical parameters and coordinates are not available.

The IFT has set the third quarter of 2018 as its end date for repacking Mexican television stations.

Some 260 main stations will need to move to new frequencies.

This process has slowly gained steam. Televisa is moving (three of its four) Mexico City stations out of 600 MHz, some new shadows are being built on post-repacking assignments in border areas, and the IFT evidently has a channel plan for all stations (as seen in the shadow XHAUMs that went up earlier). All Imagen TV and other transmitters to be built or bid out will also be in UHF or high-VHF.

The Aguascalientes and Cuernavaca transmitters of Imagen TV are now on air.

I have not heard yet from...

La Paz
    León
    Acapulco
    Chilpancingo
    Ixmiquilpan-Pachuca
    Oaxaca
    Cancún

Oaxaca *might* be on air. The BCS and Guerrero stations are in areas where forum posters just aren't common.

———

Seems like Televisa was not happy about the Azteca move to channel 1... This is being reported by the venerable Jenaro Villamil of Proceso.

"Azteca has run an intensive marketing and social media campaign to alert its viewers to rescan their TVs on October 27. Televisa has said nothing, even though the IFT maintains a free hotline to inform the public.

The announcement by Azteca caught Televisa executives unprepared in the face of the coming challenge of virtual channels.

... Frustrated Televisa executives called another meeting [with the IFT] on Wednesday, October 12. That meeting was attended by IFT Chairman Gabriel Contreras and Commissioners Adolfo Cuevas, Elena Estavillo and Ernesto Estrada.

Televisa representatives demanded the IFT to revert the assignment of channel 1 to TV Azteca as it would affect the station's "program identity"; they criticized the decision to launch the new virtual channels on October 27.

Chairman Contreras listened to them but signaled that there would be no going back. The assignment to Azteca was within the guidelines issued by the IFT and the TDT policy, as attendees of the meeting told Proceso.

The decision puts Televisa in a tight spot. For decades, Azcárraga's TV channels had the lowest numbers. They'll now have to accept that channel 1 belongs to Grupo Salinas ... and 3 to the new Imagen Televisión network."

Well, it caught *me* unprepared, and I was the first person to report this news. (It's a genius move by TV Azteca.)

Villamil also published the first part of a multi-part series charting the rise to power of Grupo Imagen.
    Last edited by Raymie; 10-16-2016 at 06:40 PM.

Tonight's the night!

At 8pm Central Time, Imagen Televisión will air its first programming and end more than 23 years of the national commercial television duopoly.

So, some interesting news and notes as we near the launch:

-The León transmitter is on today, as is Oaxaca, part of a network covering 70 million people in 60 major cities In an interview with El Universal, Olegario Vázquez Aldir stated that Imagen plans to put on 10 new transmitters before year's end. The focus was on state capitals (indeed Xalapa, Tepic and Chetumal are the only missing state capitals), highly populated cities, and cities with higher per capita GDP.

-Why the name change from Cadena Tres? Vázquez Aldir cited a few reasons: they didn't want to be "the third network" even though in 2006 the idea of such was very important, and they wanted a name that was more forward-looking. (Brand recognition probably helps, too, but he won't say that.)

Analysis: Where To Next? The Next Stations Imagen Should Build

We now have an idea of why Imagen built its first transmitters where it did: it focused on state capitals, highly populated areas, and cities with higher per capita GDP.

So, by those criteria, where does Imagen TV need to go next? I suggest 13 cities that are missing from the Imagen table.

State Capitals

• The largest coverage areas in Mexico are often found at the Las Lajas transmitter sites serving Xalapa and central Veracruz. Xalapa, however, was not built in this first round. The SPR, one of Imagen's infrastructure partners, has a facility on the mountain, so it's rather baffling to not see this one be built immediately. This also falls in the "large service area" category as more than 4 million people are in its drawn service area.

• Chetumal, Quintana Roo, also missed out on Imagen TV, as did...

• Tepic, in Nayarit, the only state not included in any current Imagen transmitter's statutory coverage area. This one might be higher on the totem pole than most simply because they are completely missing Nayarit at the moment.

Highly Populated Cities

• Tijuana, though there's a reason for this and Imagen probably would have had it by now if not for [REDACTED].

• Reynosa-Matamoros (and both of them), which were just approved.

• Celaya, which requires a shadow of the Querétaro transmitter whose callsign is XHCTCY. (The SPR is here, and the Querétaro transmitter's service area was indeed drawn with Cerro Culiacán as its center.)

• Poza Rica, Veracruz (Cerro Azul).

Top Three Most Populated Remaining Service Areas (using IFT figures which do overlap between different transmitters, and not including other sites mentioned)

• Iguala-Taxco-Cuernavaca. A lot of the 2.6 million people here are already being served by the Cuernavaca transmitter. The actual new station would probably serve fewer people and be located in one of the two cities in Guerrero.

• San Andrés Tuxtla. 1.6 million people.

• La Barca-Atotonilco-Zamora-Sahuayo. 1.5 million people in Jalisco and Michoacán. The main problem is that CE has *four* transmitters in this service area and Imagen will get one frequency, which I expect to be built at Zamora. This is why we have shadows.

Cities with Highest Per Capita GDP

• Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche, whose 2012 GDP per capita was a staggering (for Mexico) US$89,525. It's probably a little lower due to the collapse in oil prices.

• Monclova, Coahuila, which was sixth...with $14,125. (There is a huge dropoff after Carmen and another one after Campeche!)

• Nuevo Laredo.

———

Before they do that, they might want to fix the audio. The single largest complaint on night 1 has been low audio levels on Imagen TV nationwide. People are complaining that they can't hear the various programs.

The other main problem is that cable systems, particularly smaller and midsize ones, haven't added Imagen. Even then, Totalplay was pretty late in getting it on its lineup (just was added this afternoon).
    Last edited by Raymie; 10-18-2016 at 01:50 AM.

Well, here's another Imagen complaint... no signal in parts of the State of Mexico.

The prime suspect seems to be areas north of Chiquihuite, where shadows become necessary to receive anything that broadcasts from there. Azteca has shadows on Cerro Melchor Ocampo. But if you want Canal Once or Imagen TV, you're out of luck. And that was one of the common threads of me fielding Imagen questions on Twitter last night. People in places like Ecatepec, Cuautitlán, Tultitlán, etc. not getting Imagen.

There also are complaints of poor signal to the east, in Chimalhuacán, Neza, etc. (Azteca's stations also have a shadow set in Chimalhuacán.)

There are things you never want to hear about in radio, and one of them is a good old-fashioned family squabble.

Unfortunately, that's exactly what's been going on at XEMS Matamoros, one of the oldest stations of Grupo Radio Avanzado. The 64-year-old station has been mired in a succession dispute for years. The catalyst was the death of original concessionaire Antonio Gallegos Escalante on May 26, 2007. Instead of a will, upon his death in Brownsville, Gallegos Escalante left his heirs an unfinished divorce from his first wife, Delfina González Hinojosa (he had formed a family with another woman, María Rebeca Medrano González).

The result was that many heirs — six Gallegos González children, two Gallegos Medrano children, plus Medrano González and González Hinojosa for good measure — went to the courts. The first wife's family had the most reason to fight. Earlier court cases had declared that María Rebeca and her children were the only rightful heirs to the station. In a court decision published last Wednesday, however, a Tamaulipas judge ruled that Delfina and all eight children from both marriages had to equally share XEMS.

Antonio Gallegos González was named head of his father's estate. It turns out that he owns a radio station, too: XERI "Radio Rey", which broadcasts from Reynosa.

But the long-term result is that Grupo Radio Avanzado's ownership structure has been drastically altered. Oh yeah, and they broadcast from the Edificio María Rebeca. That name might not be lasting much longer.

Thread Information