Page 120 of 171 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1701

Thread: OPMA is changing...

Get ready for Licitación IFT-6!

The IFT's approval of the call for bids and guidelines starts the clock on the most important opening in local and regional commercial TV since the early 90s.

In 24 of the 123 coverage areas, there will be two stations — including some VHFs!

Other notes:

- A potential bidder cannot have more than one other station in the area. This opens up the potential for new full-power Televisa and Azteca transmitters, which could very well be the case in some of the rural areas like Guachochi and X'pujil that have never had TV service.

- There's also a New Participant Bonus for those who either have no broadcast holdings, and in slightly reduced form for radio owners without TV stations in that market, but not for anyone with 20% or more national TV coverage.

Day One is November 28, when the IFT will begin taking declarations of interest from potential bidders. The awards will come down on October 2 and 3, 2017.

We should have the information soon — it must be published in the DOF, and the IFT will also put it on its website this week.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

One last item: in September, Huetamo, Michoacán got its first new radio station since 1969 when XHUET 103.5 "La Guacha" finally signed on. Here's its Facebook, if you're curious.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Two stories with a common thread:

A Follow-Up to a Confusing Radio Situation

XHZHO-FM 98.5 Zihuatanejo, Guerrero, resurfaced two weeks ago with a new name and what appears to be a new operator. When it went under, it was Ke Buena, co-owned with XHUQ-FM 101.9. But then XHUQ stole Ke Buena and XHZHO...disappeared.

It looks like it was spun off in the last month, as it's now "La Nueva 98.5" with an unknown format, new studio address and a newscast carried by XHZIH. Remember, XHZIH has a countdown to something too.

Meanwhile... A Radio Zombie is Made

Among the stations that failed to transition to concessions from permits, one was actually an unbuilt station: XHUTG 98.5, a university station serving Iguala, Guerrero.

Guess what. It's on the air. I didn't think it'd happen myself.

Of the stations that are in permit limbo, I believe only one has actually shut down. That would be XHCRI-FM San Cristóbal de las Casas, which has disappeared from the site of its sister station XHWM. The utility of the second FM probably diminished upon the latter's migration — it's amazing to think that XHCRI, which signed on in time for Christmas 2000, was the first FM in San Cristóbal!

The others are XHMZL Mazatlán, XHITD Durango, XHIC Campeche, the repeaters of the UAT (Tamps.) network outside of the flagship at Ciudad Victoria, and XHHCC Hércules Coah. Each of these stations is operating.
    Last edited by Raymie; 11-23-2016 at 01:01 AM.

Time for some news — more accurately, this El Paso Herald-Post blurb from Saturday, February 13, 1971...

"A phantom Juarez television station for the second straight year has appeared in the February official federal register. According to the register, television station XHBB, channel 20 is the third authorized television station. To date, Juarez television viewers have failed to receive any pictures on channel 20."

(See: DOF 11/25/70)

The DOF today ran the AM-FM transition guidelines, and as had been teased, new migrants must use HD Radio.

Also any new stations that come from this will be class A with a 3 kW max ERP.

The final count of new available frequencies for commercial or public stations:

Salamanca, Gto.: 1 (either XEMAS, XEZH or XESAG)

Guadalajara metro: 8

Mexico City: 2

Toluca: 2

Puebla: 5

Mexicali: 1 (101.3)

Monterrey metro: 4 (88.1, 89.3, 96.1, 96.9, 100.5. Mty also has an unused 88.5 C, plus a 100.1 B1 at Los Ramones.)

Nogales: 6 (note that Nogales has just 5 AM stations. The FCC has unused allotments for Nogales: 89.1 A, 89.9 A, 90.3 A, 92.5 A, 94.1 A and 95.7 A, plus an 89.5 C that probably isn't going to be used here.)

SLRC: 2 (91.1, 93.9, 97.9, 98.7 and a B 106.3 are available)

Ciudad Camargo Tamps.: 2 (only one AM here, XEZD. FCC says 92.7, 99.1 and 105.9 are open As here. There is also a 101.7 that was formerly XHCAO-FM

Ciudad Miguel Alemán: 4 (two AMs operate here, XEWD and XEHI. 95.9, 96.3, 96.7 and 99.9, according to FCC.)

Matamoros: 1 (probably on 91.9 though there's one other A allotment and a B1 going unused)

Nuevo Laredo: 6 (Nuevo Laredo has eight AMs total, of which two are combos)

Reynosa: 2 (102.9, though a AA 103.3 is available, and also an A 106.7 that would be in the Article 90 reserved band)

Río Bravo: 1 (91.7)

And speaking of Mexico City, today began the 23rd General Assembly of La Red México, at which the organization's president called on the IFT to let Radio Educación migrate to FM.

There's also finally a page on the IFT site about IFT-6, though the only thing on it right now is a document I had not seen.

It does clarify that some areas will be getting one V and one U out of IFT-6.

Aguascalientes, Mexico City, central Chiapas, Celaya-Querétaro, Guadalajara, San Luis Potosí, Xalapa, San Andrés Tuxtla, and Zacatecas will get one V and one U. The remaining areas of the 25 getting two stations for bid will get two UHF outlets.

EDIT:

The bases are up at the IFT-6 page.
    Last edited by Raymie; 11-25-2016 at 04:04 AM.

Happy Thanksgiving!

While I'm stuffed with DOF stories, turkey and other things, I wanted to show you a cool view I found on Street View — potentially the only one of its kind.

Not one, but two FM towers *in one shot!*

That's in Durango. You're looking north. The tower on the left with the red buildings is XHUAD from the Universidad Autónoma de Durango. The tower on the right with the blue buildings is XHUNES from the Universidad España. The universities are not separated by much land — around 1,000 feet between the FM towers.

There are other towers in the general area, namely those for XHWX-FM and Grupo Radio Carlos C. Armas Vega.

A few items today...

Licitación IFT-6 in the news

Some interesting news stories about IFT-6 now that it has gotten its day in the DOF.

For Etcétera, Javier Tejado Dondé cautions that the peso has lost value in the last two years which makes building a TV station more expensive, as much of it is nationalized, especially compared with Imagen's base offer from 2015. He also points out some of the features —*operators with one existing station in the license area can bid (speculating that this is to attract Imagen).

Televisa and Azteca could also be in the mix for that reason, Itzel Castañares reports in El Financiero. There are actually regions where Televisa has no stations, such as Guachochi or Xpujil.

Nicolás Lucas of El Economista points our attention to the grand prize: the two Mexico City stations (one V and one U) which will likely attract considerable attention, but will also be the most expensive of them all.

Fundación Cultural para la Sociedad Mexicana: Odd Bedfellows with Commercial Stations

Radio María's incursion into Mexico, the largest by any religious radio service, is two pronged. First, they have effectively bought XELT 920 AM in Guadalajara, which is owned by Televisa Radio but now is in the same city as their national headquarters.

The second is their series of radio stations. There's an AM in Mérida (of questionable legality or being on the air) plus five FMs: XHFCSM Cuernavaca, XHFCS Culiacán, XHPBP Puebla, XHFSM Puerto Vallarta and XHCSM San Luis Potosí.

Three of these stations are sharing room with — or very near —*commercial radio stations. (Cuernavaca appears to have been a new build and XHFSM's tower is not at its site.)

Culiacán: Megamedios owns XHNW-FM 103.3 "Maxiradio", a 1994-vintage combo, but next door to it (and sharing a sign) is Radio María. The massive FM tower there is probably XHFCS as it did not exist in 2009.

San Luis Potosí: XHCSM is located at Capitán Caldera 326. Just down and across the street at Capitán Caldera 315 is MG Radio. The rather accurate Radio FM SLP notes on his site that XHCSM went on air testing with XHESL's audio on one occasion. XHESL broadcasts from Antonio Cossío #105, an FM stick on top of a tall office building. A second set of FM bays appeared around 2015 when XHESL already had a set on there. It turns out this wasn't the only place where FM bays appeared in 2015...

Puebla: The listed address for XHPBP-FM is Calle 2 Oriente #6, Despacho 606. This is in downtown. This ended up solving a mystery for me. You see, I'd been trying to find that address for a while for another station whose studios have since moved, ever since I heard an aircheck of this ID...

"Está usted escuchando XHZM-FM, 92.5 megahertz en la banda de frecuencia modulada, transmitiendo desde sus estudios en 2 Oriente #6, Puebla, Puebla..."

It is very difficult to see correctly, but XHPBP is the *bottom* set of FM bays. The top is XHZM, whose studios have since moved. (The FM stick predates XHPBP, quite obviously.) Finding two stations at once is always sweet.

For what it's worth, since I released my first sheet of FM reference coordinates, I've found around 100 more stations.

Radiorama's new site (yes, a new national RR site) has an impressive list of the stations they represent.

Not because of having most of the stations (including some owned by other groups, such as OEM or ZER), but because it is positively sterling in its correctness of callsigns.

They even got XHEOA right, and the station doesn't even have that callsign correct in their IDs!

That moment when you find a beautiful tower with TWO sets of FM bays but can only see it from across a big fence...

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.3342...7i13312!8i6656

That is in Agua Prieta, Sonora. It's as close as you can get to the border. I believe it has XHSAP-FM and one other ZER station, but I have coords for XHSOS and XHNNO and neither seem to be there. It could be that one moved. Street View does not cover Agua Prieta, so Douglas is as close as we'll ever get.

At 46.45 meters (or 152.41 feet) from the international border, I believe this is the closest broadcasting station to the border. The studios for ABC Radio Mexicali are closer in, but those are AM stations (for now; one could migrate) and their transmitter isn't at their studios.

IFT-6 is certainly getting attention, with 25 interested parties just on the first day of declarations of interest. We know Radio Fórmula and Grupo Radio Centro are interested, and there are inklings that Multimedios could be in the hunt to expand its network to places like Chihuahua and San Luis Potosí where it already owns radio stations.

I suspect another group of bidders to watch are the local and regional cable stations, which are probably unfamiliar names as they almost never merit mention here. Companies like CB Televisión (Michoacán), DI Televisión (Veracruz), and Telemar (Campeche) might want the opportunity to broadcast to part or all of their home states. Radio station owners with an existing limited TV presence could be interested. Perhaps Sergio Valles and the Canal 28 Chihuahua folks will make a run at some of the stations in outstate Chihuahua such as Parral.

Thread Information