Page 137 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1632

Thread: OPMA is changing...

Quote Originally Posted by w9wi View Post
    That would be of questionable legality in the U.S.. (of course, FCC rules don't apply in Mexico!)

Here's a FCC document in which a Texas applicant is found to have engaged in illegal "premature construction" for building the proposed station's tower before the construction permit was issued.

From the document:

I'm thinking some time in the 1920s/1930s, someone built a radio station and then applied for a license. The Commission refused to grant the license, and the applicant went to their Congresspeople and complained how they'd lost all this money building a station they can't legally operate.
    The UAAAN has wanted to get on FM for years. I believe their location in Saltillo (and consequent need for FCC coordination) has been the primary delay. They failed to migrate to FM with their AM permit, too.

The FCC has some empty allotments for Saltillo, notably 102.9 which is now 400 kHz between two operating FMs. 96.7 and 101.7 are available, but they are Class I ghost stations (Ramos Arizpe, Coah.) and so...yeah. 107.3 is in the Article 90 reserved band, so a public station could not be built there. 92.1 would be open, as would 88.1.

(It is worth noting that only one station in the 320-km border swath in Coah. was part of IFT-4, FID 94434 (90.5 Cuatro Ciénegas, Coah.). It should be a Class C per the allotment but it was awarded as a B1.)
    Last edited by Raymie; 03-12-2017 at 09:43 PM.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Don't really have a place for this, but since I was sent the 2015 ARC log, and I'm not sure if these got ID'ed ever...

"Jul29 22:36 My 99.3 (not 93.9, that was EE) was KE BUENA -- Dan EM73QX "

My guess (lots of Guatemala, Honduras in at the time, plus Cozumel and FM to southern and central Mexico) is XHQAA-FM Chetumal which went Ke Buena some time in 2015 or 2016. It had been La Poderosa.

"Jul29 20:30 Es 97.1 Super stereo Miled. I think this is Morelos many stations multi deep up to 108. KW4RZ/ m EM60"

XHQB-FM Tulancingo, Hidalgo. The only Miled station outside of Edomex.

"Jun24 00:19 Es 90.9 Chihuahua "La Caliente" - Matt EN21"

XHAHC Chihuahua Capital

"Jun23 21:22 Es 94.1 XHUAMA Mexico DF MEX - NEW - de RNA/OK EM16gj"

There are five of these. They're 20 watts apiece. Pick your poison: A, C, I, R or X? (No, Grupo ACIR is not involved)

"Jun09 12:35 pix of XHMLC - de WA5IYX EL09ql STX http://www.qsl.net/wa5iyx/images/20150609-045311-1.jpg "

Whoa nelly. I'm going to point out the reason this catch was amazing. XHMLC-TDT in 2015 would have been intermittent operation, from midnight to 6am (it was co-channel with analog 29). (The clock in the image reads 4:56am.) I never thought one of these would have been DXed.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

It's a busy month for TV Azteca...

Today, Proyecto 40 became ADN 40 as part of the biggest brand refresh XHTVM has had since, well, Azteca began running it on a regular basis again in early 2006.

And next week, it's joined by an entirely new service, a+, which will be carried on Azteca 7 muxes in five cities (Guadalajara, León, Toluca, Mexico City and Monterrey) with expansion to 21 cities occurring in the second quarter.

Azteca's regional programming has long been inconsistent, and this is definitely an effort to compete with Televisa and others (Multimedios comes to mind in Monterrey) in the space.

Analysis: Playing the Regional Game

The long history of Imevisión and TV Azteca includes several attempts at regional program production.

In the 80s and even the early 90s, Imevisión made room for local programs produced by arms of the state government — in some cases, the first time local programs were regularly originated from the states. It was a milestone in Mexican television, one that laid the cornerstone for a series of state networks. The Campeche, Chiapas, Guanajuato, Puebla, Quintana Roo, San Luis Potosí and Tlaxcala state networks, among others, were born from Imevisión opt-outs. In Tlaxcala, the local programs sometimes had to be driven to Puebla, or even to the transmitter site of XHTEM-TV on Cerro Tlamacas in the State of Mexico (the mountain that gives the station its callsign), when the microwave link failed. Imevisión also had two stations that were almost all local, XHFN in Monterrey and XHCH in Chihuahua. For the historical significance and the important stimulus this gave to regional TV, this has to be an A- in my book.

In 1995, TV Azteca tried its hand at regionalization, entering into alliances with local companies (such as Síntesis, a news producer, in Tijuana) and creating others (like Veravisión in Veracruz). These were the seeds of the current Azteca local subdivisions, airing primarily news shows but also some local entertainment programming and sports content. Some of these get a B grade, and some get a C. (From what I've heard, Azteca Bajío's local programs are poor in their picture quality.)

But today, from la televisora del Ajusco, comes a move that I can only grade A+. In the long history of TV Azteca, no effort at local programming has been more ambitious than the one they will embark on next week. Local television, for at first five but eventually more than 20 cities, with production levels varying according to the local demand and need, plus the bare minimum of news and sports shows in each of their local divisions.

A+, though, is part of something bigger: the regional television game is getting more and more interesting. A few years ago, we were all watching intently as IFT-1 was launched with the goal of creating two national networks. Though only one emerged from the process, we were left with 123 station allotments that are now in IFT-6. While the participation figures are worrying, there has to be a serious contender somewhere in the list of 24.

We're seeing Multimedios shuffling its lineup in Monterrey, with the impending return of Altavisión. We're seeing Televisa get its first serious competition in markets like León. And we're seeing local television in Mexico City.

Viewers won't have reason to complain—and, hopefully, neither will Azteca.

Some stories on the community radio landscape for your Thursday...

In Tizayuca, Hidalgo, local pirate Énfasis 98.3 has been airing an interview with the head of a company who wants to build an incinerator in the town and is facing pushback. 3,000 residents of the town want construction of the incinerator stopped, but you won't hear that on Énfasis, whose detractors say the company, Valorsum, S.A. de C.V., probably paid for the interview.

Meanwhile, in Sonora, the owner of a new radio station got the old community radio treatment: he was attacked and his motorcycle scorched by unknown assailants. Roberto Marroquín heads the civil association that will own XHVOC-FM Bahía de Kino. Marroquín says the threat likely came from a group that controls a significant portion of regional economic activity, who buy products in Hermosillo and sell them to locals at a high markup.

A community radio station has apparently been awarded to Enlace Taranda, A.C., at Tarandacuao, Guanajuato. I can't find the Pleno approval for this one!

If you're an AM DXer with a mind for Mexico City, you'll want this update, because it's time to pay your final respects to La 69.

Beginning on Saturday, XEN-AM becomes a simulcast of XEJP-AM El Fonógrafo, proving once again that GRC cannot find any useful programming to put on 690 AM.

La 69 served primarily as a simulcast outlet for GRC and Radio Red news programs in its 16-year existence.

Mexico City AM coverage is nowhere near what it used to be. Nobody can convince me that XEW is 250,000 watts.

I was able to hear 620 last week. 1530 was once the easiest Cd de Mexico catch, but it seems that KGBT adjusted their pattern. 730, 830, 970, 1000, 1030, 1500, 1560, 1590, and 1650 have made it here, but none of them are easy.

940 & 1060, although seemingly heard everywhere else, have yet to be heard here.

A Cuban messes up any chance at 1220.

BTW I love El Fonógrafo. A SS standards station!

cd

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    Mexico City AM coverage is nowhere near what it used to be. Nobody can convince me that XEW is 250,000 watts.

I was able to hear 620 last week. 1530 was once the easiest Cd de Mexico catch, but it seems that KGBT adjusted their pattern. 730, 830, 970, 1000, 1030, 1500, 1560, 1590, and 1650 have made it here, but none of them are easy.

940 & 1060, although seemingly heard everywhere else, have yet to be heard here.

A Cuban messes up any chance at 1220.

BTW I love El Fonógrafo. A SS standards station!

cd
    They did dip their power. However, the growth of the metro has certainly made what used to be acceptable AM facilities less useful, not to mention all the band noise.

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    XEW-AM reduced its power, it currently emits with 100 kW.

For the months of June - July 2016, its transmission tower was dismantled after changing the location of the transmission plant to Los Reyes Acaquilpan, Méx.

Along with XEW, XEX-AM with 60 kW and XEQ-AM with 30 kW were also moved to the recent transmission plant.

Quote Originally Posted by RadarDX View Post
    XEW-AM reduced its power, it currently emits with 100 kW.

For the months of June - July 2016, its transmission tower was dismantled after changing the location of the transmission plant to Los Reyes Acaquilpan, Méx.

Along with XEW, XEX-AM with 60 kW and XEQ-AM with 30 kW were also moved to the recent transmission plant.
    Thank you for the info. I still cannot hear XEW. I do hear XEQ from Ocala when I am up there in the null of WMAC.

cd

Thread Information