Page 143 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1478

Thread: OPMA is changing...

IFT-4 reaches another critical phase this week: all bidders must declare whether they wish to continue and get the stations they want, or decline and have them reassigned to the next highest bidder. It may be the moment of proof for Tecnoradio: will it pay up for all those stations, only take some, or just pay the security deposit and run?
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Default *Vieja Escuela* México FM radio stations....old skool

So in my *almost daily* pursuit to update México FM listings in the WTFDA FM database, I come across documents that make me ponder things and curious of other things. I've found I am already way past Bill Cosby's "Why Is There Air?" Perhaps....the IFT doesn't conduct regular inspections of licensed radio stations in México, such as inspecting the equipment and site inspections of where the equipment is located?? I am just curious why on radio stations that have been licensed for eons I never find updated documents showing where their transmitter is located? My cell phone will tell me the GPS of any place I am standing on this globe. In the radio license documents from México, there is a line that says...Ubicación del equipo transmisor (location of transmitter equipment) and will generally list the city. On radio station modification documents, further down the document it will show the LAT/LONG for the transmitter coordinates. Here is an example of that...

XHAH-FM 90.1 Juchitán, Oaxaca
    http://rpc.ift.org.mx/rpc/pdfs/090252648002b873.pdf

Some of the radio stations in the bigger cities that have been around forever, in their documents, for the *ubicación del equipo transmisor*, it just says the name of the city! As an example, the location of the transmitter for a certain station is Hermosillo, Sonora. Duhhhh! A 784,000 population city and that's all they know. The antenna is *somewhere* in the city. I think we lost the antenna.....uhmmm, I'm sure we lost the antenna but we're pretty sure its still in the city.

But then that is par for course. I've gotten use to seeing that type of thing in the old radio documents from México. Seems to be the popular choice in days gone by.

And then there are documents like this one.....

XHW-FM 90.1 mc/s - does anybody use megacycles anymore??? This appears to be from 1964? What cracks me up is the original signor of the document, who was from the office of the SCT, was crossed out and someone else put their initials on it. Maybe someone was shoehorned out of office and their signature was no longer worth a.....

http://rpc.ift.org.mx/rpc/pdfs/090252648002864e.pdf

Researching FM radio stations from Latin America is almost as exhilarating as.... (you finish the line )
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    So in my *almost daily* pursuit to update México FM listings in the WTFDA FM database, I come across documents that make me ponder things and curious of other things. I've found I am already way past Bill Cosby's "Why Is There Air?" Perhaps....the IFT doesn't conduct regular inspections of licensed radio stations in México, such as inspecting the equipment and site inspections of where the equipment is located?? I am just curious why on radio stations that have been licensed for eons I never find updated documents showing where their transmitter is located? My cell phone will tell me the GPS of any place I am standing on this globe. In the radio license documents from México, there is a line that says...Ubicación del equipo transmisor (location of transmitter equipment) and will generally list the city. On radio station modification documents, further down the document it will show the LAT/LONG for the transmitter coordinates. Here is an example of that...

XHAH-FM 90.1 Juchitán, Oaxaca
    http://rpc.ift.org.mx/rpc/pdfs/090252648002b873.pdf

Some of the radio stations in the bigger cities that have been around forever, in their documents, for the *ubicación del equipo transmisor*, it just says the name of the city! As an example, the location of the transmitter for a certain station is Hermosillo, Sonora. Duhhhh! A 784,000 population city and that's all they know. The antenna is *somewhere* in the city. I think we lost the antenna.....uhmmm, I'm sure we lost the antenna but we're pretty sure its still in the city.

But then that is par for course. I've gotten use to seeing that type of thing in the old radio documents from México. Seems to be the popular choice in days gone by.

And then there are documents like this one.....

XHW-FM 90.1 mc/s - does anybody use megacycles anymore??? This appears to be from 1964? What cracks me up is the original signor of the document, who was from the office of the SCT, was crossed out and someone else put their initials on it. Maybe someone was shoehorned out of office and their signature was no longer worth a.....

http://rpc.ift.org.mx/rpc/pdfs/090252648002864e.pdf

Researching FM radio stations from Latin America is almost as exhilarating as.... (you finish the line )
    You have just described the reason AM-FM migration documents like the one you posted, older permits, technical modifications from recent years, and anything with an address on it are valuable. (Heck, this "somewhere in the following city" thing is still going on with those concession transfers!) The IFT definitely has this stuff, but it wasn't in the concessions themselves.

That XHW concession makes it the oldest FM on the entire Baja peninsula (prior to the declaration of statehood for BCS in 1974!) —*the same man founded the first AM, FM and TV in BCS (though as you know, the TV station is long gone). Not sure why Walter Cross Buchanan's signature is crossed out, though you might notice his own signature includes a "cross" under it... (Cross Buchanan is definitely remembered in the field, and at his alma mater, the IPN. There are schools and facilities named for him!) You'll find more megacycles even through the mid-60s (it's on the XEH-FM 93.2 stuff from the mid-60s), though by 1969 they were using "mHz".

XHW today is one of the Promomedios California stations — the ones with next to no web presence that have a near-total stranglehold on BCS radio listeners. This is one of the stations' web pages. Most look like this.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

I'm kind of like Raymie. Sometimes I like to use Google Maps (with Street View when its available), to chase down radio towers in México, when I know they *might* be able to be tracked down. Especially the older stations that have a following and have found their way on to Google Maps.

Case in point - XHSAT-FM 90.1 Villahermosa, Tabasco. We DON'T have an antenna HAAT in the WTFDA FM database. BUT, hold your horses, emus, ostriches or whatever you're riding.
    Their original license is from 1995 - http://rpc.ift.org.mx/rpc/pdfs/0902526480029936.pdf

I do a little more snooping through the IFT Website...I find this document 100913 PRORROGA (not sure what that means)
    http://rpc.ift.org.mx/rpc/pdfs/40942...73804_3326.pdf

I get a street address, which I can use on Google Maps.

I find them, I use the *Whats Here* feature of Google Maps, to get the LAT/LONG coords for the Grupo Acir building that evidently XHSAT is located in. You can plug the LAT/LONG numbers into Google or Google Maps...
    17°58'46.2"N 92°56'11.0"W

Paste that into Google or Google maps, then go to street view. Hmmm, wonder what the height of that stick is? Its gotta be more than 30 meters. But the XHSAT document doesn't say a word about where their tower is located or what its antenna's height is. But I visually found it on Google Maps.

Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

I'm kind of like Raymie. Sometimes I like to use Google Maps (with Street View when its available), to chase down radio towers in México, when I know they *might* be able to be tracked down. Especially the older stations that have a following and have found their way on to Google Maps.

Case in point - XHSAT-FM 90.1 Villahermosa, Tabasco. We DON'T have an antenna HAAT in the WTFDA FM database. BUT, hold your horses, emus, ostriches or whatever you're riding.
    Their original license is from 1995 - http://rpc.ift.org.mx/rpc/pdfs/0902526480029936.pdf

I do a little more snooping through the IFT Website...I find this document 100913 PRORROGA (not sure what that means)
    http://rpc.ift.org.mx/rpc/pdfs/40942...73804_3326.pdf

I get a street address, which I can use on Google Maps.

I find them, I use the *Whats Here* feature of Google Maps, to get the LAT/LONG coords for the Grupo Acir building that evidently XHSAT is located in. You can plug the LAT/LONG numbers into Google or Google Maps...
    17°58'46.2"N 92°56'11.0"W

Paste that into Google or Google maps, then go to street view. Hmmm, wonder what the height of that stick is? Its gotta be more than 30 meters. But the XHSAT document doesn't say a word about where their tower is located or what its antenna's height is. But I visually found it on Google Maps.

PRÓRROGA means RENEWAL (or more literally, EXTENSION). A few of them around the end of COFETEL (2013) have addresses.

Finding station studios can sometimes be really useful. For instance, I recently found Grupo ACIR Irapuato in an 11-story office building from the 60s. The stick is there too.

That said, the usefulness increases when there's not a mountain that makes more sense and offers better coverage. In somewhere like Chilpancingo (where I recently discovered that Guerrero's state TV network managed to hold on in the capital city — 435 watts ERP and it's enough to cover Chilpancingo!), the stations are on mountains or slopes. In the case of XHMZI which I mentioned last week, its mountaintop position gives it one of the best coverage areas in Coahuila.

Another thing. If you need help, try listening for a TOH or BOH ID and hope you get a transmitter location. This is how I nailed XHZTA-FM Zihuatanejo (now in Mexican FM Station Coordinates as of today), which came to air just under six months ago after 16 years in permit limbo. Since XHZTA is currently simulcasting XHGRC-FM Acapulco, they're giving a dual ID which includes full info for XHZTA, "transmitiendo desde las oficinas del FIBAZI, Av. José María Morelos s/n, Col. Centro, C.P. 40880". The FIBAZI is a government agency, FIdeicomiso de la BAhía de ZIhuatanejo (which took forever to track down). There is no stick on Street View simply because of the newness of the tower.

The IFT's first Comunicado since Easter break has some broadcasting news in it.

The headline for us is ostensibly not quite related to broadcasting. You're probably familiar with the push by American broadcasters for new cell phones to enable the FM capabilities in their hardware. This is now a Disposición Técnica in Mexico — new devices authorized for sale in the country that have FM capabilities must enable them.

There were also some multiprogramming items:

-XHABC Chihuahua was cleared for multiprogramming, adding a 28.2 subchannel.

-Azteca 13 with a 2-hour delay was on XHTVM's second digital subchannel. This will be replaced with Azteca Noticias, which was booted off XHIMT by the launch of A+.

-Something about XHBR switching out Las Estrellas and local programming. I have not quite understood the channel alignment for Televisa Nuevo Laredo since VC-Day because it was the opposite of what had been in place.

-XHQRO Cancún's addition of Gala TV has been delayed.

"Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting radio towers now, in Mexico City. Look, I think I found one...."

It's 96.1 XEUN "Radio UNAM" radio tower, looking from Rafael Dondé. Ooh, I didn't have that one in my bag of goodies on the WTFDA FM database for the antenna locations. I'm guessing its 120 meters?

Paste this in your URL line and enter....goo.gl/GUipTH

Added one more...goo.gl/htBAm0

The Grupo Acir studios and towers in Cd. de México. Hard to know which one belongs to XHM 88.9, Radio Siempre.

Sorry Raymie, didn't mean to hijack your forum :-( I just couldn't resist. Be warned, I am trying to recover from the flu this week and am doing drugs.
    Last edited by Jim Thomas; 04-18-2017 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Xtra nfo
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

"Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting radio towers now, in Mexico City. Look, I think I found one...."

It's 96.1 XEUN "Radio UNAM" radio tower, looking from Rafael Dondé. Ooh, I didn't have that one in my bag of goodies on the WTFDA FM database for the antenna locations. I'm guessing its 120 meters?

Paste this in your URL line and enter....goo.gl/GUipTH

Sorry Raymie, didn't mean to hijack your forum :-( I just couldn't resist. Be warned, I am trying to recover from the flu this week and am doing drugs.
    That's the studios, but...Radio UNAM's FM stick is in Ajusco.

Also in Ajusco is this big stick. Can you name what's on it?

(Ajusco is also home to the headquarters of TV Azteca, which has earned itself the nickname "la televisora del Ajusco" over the years, and a backup xmtr site for the IMER. While Azteca has expanded the facilities, the core of the site was built for Canal 13 in 1976.)

———

Let's sell some stations.

One transfer I know to be involuntary:

XHMP-FM Torreón Coah., Braulio Manuel Fernández Aguirre to María Cristina Murra Talamás. After the Coahuila senator's death in February 2016, the stations are now in the hands of his widow who was married to Fernández Aguirre for more than 50 years.

XHRE-FM Piedras Negras Coah. to XHMED, S.A. de C.V., and XHSL-FM to Master Radiodifusión, S.A. de C.V. Co-owned stations whose last known owner, Súper Medios de Coahuila, was said to be linked to associates of disgraced former governor Humberto Moreira. Súper Medios previously exited television by selling XHPNW to Grupo Zócalo, but given the number of stations they own in Piedras, a different buyer for the radio stations was to be expected.

———

And let's create some new stations.

The Universidad Autónoma Intercultural de Sinaloa becomes the first intercultural university on the airwaves with XHMFS-FM 95.7 (calls likely mean Mochicahui, El Fuerte, Sinaloa), a class A broadcasting from, well, Mochicahui.

We knew the calls and frequency, but in Santa María Huatulco, XHHDH-FM 106.3 will hit the air. 104.7 was requested but is apparently being reserved for some other applicant who also wanted a social station in Huatulco.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymie View Post
    Also in Ajusco is this big stick. Can you name what's on it?
    That big stick is property of NRM Comunicaciones. I think it's used for FM broadcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopyFan93 View Post
    That big stick is property of NRM Comunicaciones. I think it's used for FM broadcasts.
    From that location, transmit the following stations: XEOYE-FM 89.7 MHz and XHSON-FM 100.9 MHz.

Thread Information