Page 163 of 164 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164 LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 1632

Thread: OPMA is changing...

Yarrrrrrrrr! A pirate has washed ashore in Toluca...and no, it's not unlicensed!

It's Capital Pirata FM Toluca — the fourth Pirata FM and the first new one since CapitalMedia acquired the format — operating on 89.3 MHz, which began sailing the airwaves on Monday.

This is second-wave migrant XECH-AM 1040, which had previously carried the Radio Capital talk format. The new FM callsign is XHCH-FM, and it is broadcasting with 3,000 watts (all second-wave migrants are Class A).
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

The IFT is a pretty paper-heavy organization. All filings are still done on paper, which has implications for the speed and quantity of information available through the agency. (It also makes it difficult if you live in a remote area and, for instance, want a radio station, to file the appropriate documents, because going to Mexico City is lengthy and costly.)

Today, the IFT's Strategic Planning Coordinator, Aldo Sánchez, said at an event that next year the IFT is slated to implement an online filing system and eventually electronic signatures.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

To the list of Imagen Televisión's infrastructure partners we can now add XHTIX-FM (Radiológico) in Cuernavaca.

An authorization, approved in October 2016 but not placed in the RPC until a year later and only at my insistence (aka a transparency request) was the full document put up, reveals XHCTCU was moved fairly quickly from the MVS facilities to XHTIX's site after going on air.

One more station will be clearing the Article 90 reserved band.

XHFW-FM is to move to 88.5 MHz. It joins sister XHTW, which was assigned 94.9, as moving down from 106-108 MHz in Tampico.

It was time for the IFT-6 winners to pony up today, and pony up all of them have.

Every bidder showed up, and here are a couple of specific stories:

El Economista has a full story on the Aguirre family's return to television after 45 years and a failed attempt to launch a TV network. For the privilege, he paid nearly 426 million pesos, or more than $22 million.

One of the bigger winners by station count, Multimedios, made its payment on Thursday, according to a story in Milenio (which is MM's newspaper). The total cost for the Mexico City, Durango, Guadalajara, Juárez, Monclova and Puebla stations was 647 million pesos, or more than $33.8 million.
    Last edited by Raymie; 11-14-2017 at 01:18 AM.

Broadcasting wasn't the main focus of this IFT Pleno meeting, but repacking and station moves showed up on the agenda nonetheless.

The highlight is that XHGUA-FM 106.9 Guaymas (Sonora state network) will be moving to clear the Article 90 reserved band...and if you've been following me, you might know where they're headed. That's right, 94.7. (It's in the title of the resolution this time.) This is the first public station to be moved and it is also the only transmitter in this state network above 106 MHz.

XHTJB and XHLNA were also given their repacking papers.

I found several more Article 90 reserved band clears, so I've updated my list to reflect that.

Of the 130 stations with permits/concessions that are still valid that were around in 2016 on 106-108 MHz (which excludes many recent community awards)...

-6 are existing community/indigenous stations that do not need to move. All six, coincidentally, are on 107.9. (XHTM is excluded as its permit is marked as not renewed by the IFT, and it probably would have gone here, too.)

-22 stations so far have been told to move. The reserved band is totally clear now in Tampico as XHEOLA was given its marching orders. A few other stations have also been identified.

-40 stations will not be moving at all because there is no place to put them at the same technical parameters.

-The fate of 62 stations was unknown.

Also excluded, though it existed on the March 31, 2016 tables, was XHIXH (canceled at state government request).

The 68 stations remaining are commercial, public, and social untyped. All of these can be moved. We know more about commercial stations here because of the recent wave of renewal activity around them. Only this week, in fact, was XHGUA added to the list becoming the first public A90 clear.

Some of the 68 stations obviously cannot move. XHUAR Juárez, for instance, has a high ERP and is on the border. Others, especially at Class A-type ERPs, are move bait if there is room available. XHUAEM Cuernavaca broadcasts with 203 watts. XHAPU in Hidalgo has 250 watts. These transmitters could very well find new homes, that is if Central Mexico's clogged dial doesn't impede them.

There are several untyped social stations that would be eligible for a move. The Article 90 reserved band applies only to the community and indigenous subtypes of social stations. Examples of stations with potentially confusing fates are XHTLAN Mazatlán (private university), XHPAT Pátzcuaro (owned by a person as a social station), and XHCSM (social untyped owned by an A.C.).

Oh DDear!

XEDD-AM/XHDD-FM has a sleepy little history.

It got its concession on September 12, 1969 and was owned by Adalberto Javier Pezino González. This station on a high frequency of 1560 kHz was one of just two duking it out for the listeners of Montemorelos, Nuevo León, which today has a population of more than 50,000. (The name on the books is Ojo de Agua, with a transmitter site due north of Montemorelos.) Only two years earlier did XERN "Radio Naranjera" come to air.

XEDD moved to 800 in the 90s, a time when many AMs found lower frequencies, and its concession was transferred to Audio Publicidad, S.A. de C.V. By this time, there were two FM stations also in the area: XHLOS-FM 97.7, part of the Nuevo León state network, and XHMSN-FM 100.1, the lone commercial FM station in the orange capital of Mexico. Like many stations, XEDD became an AM-FM migrant. In May 2013, it became XHDD-FM 92.9 and was now one of two commercial FM stations in the region alongside XHERN-FM 100.9. XHMSN had bolted town by then, relocating to a hill in Cadereyta.

Why do such a thing? Because who wants to broadcast to the 50,000 people of Montemorelos when you can take a crack at the four million in Mexico's third-largest metro, all the while saying you're trying to replicate your AM service area?

In this light, XHDD's technical modification will almost certainly mean the end of XHDD as we've known it for 48 years.

It's a two-parter, and so we start kind of looking backwards. XHDD will have the first FM shadow to operate in Nuevo León. This facility will operate at the existing transmitter site, at a lower power and antenna height, turning it into a 250-watt booster.

However, it's the new stick that will truly be special. It's on La Peña in Guadalupe, Nuevo León, from a new 100-meter tower. And it broadcasts with a whopping 100,000 watts — the first new 100 kW station authorized in the country since XHEMA-FM conducted its upgrade in 2013 for the exact same reason (AM service area replication).

Why raise your power and move your stick more than 50 km?

This is why.

(Note: The Ojo de Agua on this map is not the one where XHDD's been all these years. It's on the edge of the signal contour due north of Montemorelos)

That signal contour increases XHDD's value tremendously. It also should make every current XHDD employee very nervous as to the station's future in Montemorelos.

It's sayonara Montemorelos (except for a shadow), hello Monterrey.

** MEXICO. Mexican FM migration --- Update on my attempt to find out the status of every Mexican AM station (through Facebook chats, webstream monitoring, sending messages via the "contact us" section of web pages, etc.):

Out of roughly 952 stations, my research leads me to believe that there are...

374 (39.3%) stations I'm pretty confident are still active on AM.

12 (1.3%) that I think may still be active on AM but I need more
    evidence.

31 (3.3%) that I think are off AM but I need more evidence.

535 (56.2%) that I'm pretty confident have left AM.

So, probably almost 60% of Mexican AM stations are gone. All the info I've gathered has been sent to Neil Kazaross for the upcoming IRCA Mexican List (Tim Hall, CA, Nov 7, ABDX via WORLD OF RADIO 1904, DXLD)

** MEXICO. YUCATÁN RADIO PROJECT

I'm on a journey to see how many Yucatán Peninsula (YP) stations have been logged. To say they're rarer than the proverbial hen's teeth, is an understatement. So far I have found 20 of the 50-odd YP stations logged somewhere from 10 states, Ontario and Finland.

Have you personally heard any? I never did including the 4 years I lived in S FL (1972-1976), though there were far less YP stations on then. My friend Ron Schatz in Miami heard XEZ-600 but I never could (30 miles north of him) even using similar equipment (R388 vs R390A).

Tim Hall has logged 5 on his FL travels early this century but none from his annual treks to the NV/UT border (I met him there 2 years ago: Perseus, multiple beverages).... no YP.

Hauser, a prolific Mexican DXer has only 1 that I know of – XEA-1370. Says he DOESN'T keep a log!

When done, I'm planning to write an article with my findings. I have seen the coverage maps for all of the more recent YP stations: all radiate from NNW to ENE. A couple of the interior stations are omnidirectional, but none seem to throw their signal either due West or due South.

Bottom line, compared to, say Florida stations, most YP stations DON'T "get out well". Despite being on or near WATER! I'm no engineer but the whole area is bedrocked in Limestone, a lousy conductor. I wonder how much of a factor that is? (Ron Schiller, rschiller28@gmail.com, NRC since '51 (off and on), Writer-"From the Archives" in DX News, St George UT, IRCA DX Monitor Nov 18, published Nov 14, via DXLD)

That`s not exactly what I said. I do keep logs, in original notebooks, and on the web; just not an all-time list of stations heard. Here are our exchanges about this: (gh)

Glenn - I consider you to be one of the foremost authorities on Latin American DXing so I'm asking for any insight you can give on the topic of AM in Mexico's Yucatán.

I first encountered it while living in S FL in the 70s. Altho only 700 miles or so over water from there, I could NOT hear anything of the 3 Mexican states: CAM, QR, & YUC. Ron Schatz in nearby Miami (he with an R388 & I with an R 390A) DID log XEZ-600 in Mérida.

More recently I had the good fortune to join Tim Hall on his annual central NV trek to a remote motel where he strings multiple beverages & DXes from his car with a Perseus & huge capacity laptop. He logged quite a few Mexican stations this year (over 4 nites in Oct) but none of 3 Yucatán states, tho he logged stations from 19 other Mex states.

It got me curious & I start digging around and asking others their experiences. So far I've heard of 13 loggings from 9 stations being logged from the 3 Yucatán states from 6 DXers. I found YOUR logging of XEA-1370 amongst them.

How many stations have you logged from the 3 Yucatán states? Mind you, this encompasses over 50 years of DXing! At any given time there seem to be 15-20 total Yucatán AMs, tho FM is taking more & more. Of course, most are low power, tho one Canadian DXer (Charles Reh) has logged two of them (but as he says, none the past 43 years!)

Any help appreciated, Glenn. I'm putting an article together about it and will give credit where credit is due. Enjoy you many reports in the NRC bulletins! 73, (Ron Schiller, NRC, Editor "From the Archives",
    St George, UT, Nov 4, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Ron, I really wish I could help on this, but unlike most DXers, I don`t keep a loggings roster. Long ago I decided that I`d rather spend my time DXing than bookkeeping. I don`t really remember hearing XEA, and don`t find it searching my archives back to 2000 or so (but XEABCA recently, not quite the same!)

If it`s handy could you give me the XEA log and where you found it.

I did take a look at the three states` listings on pp 39-44 of the latest IRCA Mexican log, and I must say that none of the calls look familiar. Likely some of those have gone to FM only by now.

The peninsula does seem to be sort of a dead zone for MW DX. I know I have heard a number of FM stations in the Mérida area, as that has been good for sporadic E; probably more FMs than AMs.

You should be sure to include Terry Krueger in Clearwater. I know he reports some of those stations. 73, (Glenn to Ron, via DXLD)

Glenn - Thanks for replying! Dead zone is a good description of the Yuc! Your XEA-1370 was I believe on 10,22,73. I keep copies of bulletin sheets where my musings or loggings appear & I believe it is there that I saw your XEA. Btw, the only logging so far I've found of XEA!

I'm going thru Terry K's logs on his website (found 4 stations there) and will contact him after finishing (logs from 2010 to present). So far the count is 10 different stations logged by 8 different DXers with Terry's 4 and David Gleason's 4 (from PHX) being most so far.
    If I find any more of yours, I'll let you know.

As you know, most of the YP stations are low power but being by water I'd think they'd "get out" better. I know I tried mightily in the 70s from SE FL with no luck at all. I remember Schatz hearing XEZ-600 in Mérida (he DXed with an R388 & I with an R390A) probably 30 miles apart, but no luck for me. Kreuger has also reported XEZ. Connelly caught a pair in MA, Conti likewise from PEI Exped, & Charles Reh (ON) two --- but like Charles said, none in the last 43 years! Truly a dead zone! 73, (Ron to Glenn, ibid.)

Glenn: Thank you for forwarding my note to James Niven [and Michael Beu]. He responded and has two YP loggings made on the same day from Padre Island, TX.

I'm about half way thru the DX Newses I have going back to 2010, and your logging of XEA-1370, is your ONLY YP log (of your MANY Mexicans) that I've found.

I read with your interest of your multiple loggings of the Villahermosa, TAB station's 3rd harmonic on 2970. TAB is the Mexican state just west of Campeche; looks on a map like it should be part of the Yucatan. Rarer than CAM, QR or YUC with a larger population! (Much may well be indigenous, and TAB is more oil than tourists, apparently.)

Latest totals: 34 logs from 17 stations by 15 DXers in 9 states & Ontario. Furthest Conti-NH at just under 2000 miles. 8 of the 17 stations are still I believe active. Nov 11. Many thanks again!
    73, (Ron, Nov 10, ibid.)

Thread Information