Page 169 of 171 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 1701

Thread: OPMA is changing...

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Would that explain why Radio Red 1110 has been ultra strong this fall-winter? Heard more and better than usual?
    Huh?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ulLDGYQkrI

In all fairness, your reception could well be Aurora-related. We are exempt down here!

Be that as it may....that wattage claim....yeah, right. (/sarcasm)

cd

Season hasn't been terribly auroral at all. I'm finding a somewhat general improved reception of this station.
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    Huh?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ulLDGYQkrI

In all fairness, your reception could well be Aurora-related. We are exempt down here!

Be that as it may....that wattage claim....yeah, right. (/sarcasm)

cd
    The final pre-RPC edition of the IFT tables says 100/50.

The whole AM removal thing also smacks not only of cost cutting but potentially economic competition (or, in more usual English, antitrust) issues.

Remember that GRC has 53.7% audience share in Mexico City. While it has been the audience leader in the capital since 1970, according to its BMV annual report (thanks for being publicly traded!), this has been the best decade in its existence. In 2011, it topped 50% audience share for the first time ever. XEQR-FM alone has more listener share than Televisa Radio, the next-best group (16.9 versus 16.7 percent).

Mexico City, in turn, is the largest radio market in the country, about 35% of the national market. Not only is it extremely populous (metro area comparable in population to New York), but it has a high human development index and is the residence of many of the national power brokers and the political, financial and media capital of the country, which is to say it probably skews more ABC+ than other large markets. (Imagine New York City if it were the capital of the United States. You might see why there's something of a national media bubble.)

One of the biases this generates is that volumes are written about national and about Mexico City-area broadcasting matters. Tons of ink was spilled this year on the migration of XEINFO, for instance, and on the award of Violeta Radio. But broadcasting news from the provincia rarely merits national attention. Here are some of the stories this year that did get it (I sampled El Universal):

-Outcry over format changes at the Nuevo León state network FM in Monterrey. The reason was that it looked political, and Jaime "El Bronco" Rodríguez is running as an independent for the presidency in 2018.

-Radio announcer killed while leaving his station in Morelos. This fits into the whole "Mexico is deadly for journalists" category. (Another thing that barely missed the year-ender, largely because the victims come more from newspapers than broadcasting, and it's not of direct import to DXers.)

-The Audiorama tower collapse in Cuernavaca after the earthquake. Even then, this was a mention in a larger item about devastation in Morelos and Puebla.

-The call to get a concession that became XHGCY. Again, this was preceded by a natural disaster and ORC (the community radio association backing Guna Caa Yuni Xhiña) correctly used that moment to draw attention to their pending application. It was approved by month's end.

Other stories are more industry-based (what do kids listen to), revolved around IFT-4 (which had several political-ish strands), or were technical in nature.

You might see what makes this space different. My technical approach to stories (like the XHDD authorization that amounted to a Monterrey move-in), heavy reading of documents, and emphasis on what goes on outside Mexico City all give me a different flavor compared to even the specialized media.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

I have just been recently reading of Brazil's decision to do away with using the AM radio dial. In 2013 the MCTIC, which oversees communications in Brazil, gave approval for the migration of AM radio stations to the FM dial (Decree 8.139). Immediately upon the approval of that new decree, of 1,772 AM stations in Brazil, 1,381 asked MCTIC to switch to FM. Those were to be stagger phased into the FM dial through 2017. All of those stations supposedly surrendered their AM licenses. The MCTIC estimates the remaining number of stations on AM in Brazil will be migrated to the FM dial during 2018. The AM band will then have far fewer stations than are there currently. I find it interesting that with México and Brasil (ck) vacating the AM radio airwaves, how many more countries will follow suit?
    Last edited by Jim Thomas; 12-31-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Corrections
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    I have just been recently reading of Brazil's decision to do away with using the AM radio dial. In 2013 the MCTIC, which oversees communications in Brazil, gave approval for the migration of AM radio stations to the FM dial (Decree 8.139). Immediately upon the approval of that new decree, of 1,772 AM stations in Brazil, 1,381 asked MCTIC to switch to FM. Those were to be stagger phased into the FM dial through 2017. All of those stations supposedly surrendered their AM licenses. The MCTIC estimates the remaining number of stations on AM in Brazil will be migrated to the FM dial during 2018. The AM band will have far fewer stations than are there currently. I find it interesting that with México and Brasil (ck) vacating the AM radio airwaves, how many more countries will follow suit?
    One clarification regarding Brazil - I understand that migrating to FM is strictly voluntary and not mandatory. Almost 600 stations have migrated to FM, NOT the 1,391 stations requesting the migration, as cited previously. The MCTIC still has to approve all migrations and some are just not logistically possible. SO - there will still be an active AM radio band in Brazil for some time to come.
    Last edited by Jim Thomas; 12-31-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Corrections
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    One clarification regarding Brazil - I understand that migrating to AM is strictly voluntary and not mandatory. Almost 600 stations have migrated to FM, NOT the 1,391 stations requesting the migration, as cited previously. The MCTIC still has to approve all migrations and some are just not logistically possible. SO - there will still be an active AM radio band in Brazil for some time to come.
    AM-FM migration in Mexico was similarly voluntary, but everyone wanted it.

There are a few stations, though, that did not migrate despite probably being able to if they wanted (e.g. there was space on FM). These include:

XERSV 810 AM in Ciudad Obregón
    XEGL 1270 AM in Navojoa, Son.
    XEIX and XERNB in Sahuayo, Mich.
    XERY in Arcelia, Gro. (renounced migration auth), and probably their sister XEXY Cd. Altamirano
    XEDJ 1450 AM in Magdalena de Kino, Son.* (shuttered either in 2004 or 2007)

Another, XEQC 1390 in Puerto Peñasco, had an auth and everything but never built out the facilities or renewed its concession.

XEDJ is a zombie on the books — though I personally suspect its concession, which most recently would have expired January 8, 2017, may not have been renewed.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

How are you spending the new year? If you're Luis Fernando Álvarez Laso, concessionaire for XHPACP-FM 97.1, you're waiting to hear from the IFT so that you can start broadcasting.

With its comparatively high profile and existing internet presence, XHPACP "Radio TexMex" has been among the easiest stations to track in this post-IFT-4 landscape. We've had a good amount of technical information on this, the first commercial radio station in Acatlán (a second, XHPAOS 94.5 from Grupo Acustik Media, is not too far behind).

All the transmitting equipment is ready — some of it had to be transported up the mountain by a team of 10 burros because no vehicle could make the trek.

TexMex is hoping to get the green light by the end of the month.

———

There was also some programming news related to Acustik that dropped yesterday.

Acustik's media empire not only includes those new radio stations (and a pirate and questionable social wolf) but a new cable channel, and they signed high-profile media personality Víctor Trujillo (known as "El Brozo", previously of Televisa) to be part of the new TV and radio venture. His program will debut January 15.

There's also now an @AcustikNoticias Twitter account, which somehow has 1 million followers. I think this might explain it...
    Last edited by Raymie; 01-03-2018 at 01:46 PM. Reason: corr name of concessionaire

One of 2018's less interesting stories is the saga of the Article 90 clears — more than 20 stations being moved below 106 MHz. The first of these is now promoting their frequency change.

It is XHYW-FM in Mérida (106.7 to 98.9). Aside from the name of the Facebook page, the Grupo Rivas website also has been updated with a new Mexicanísima 98.9 logo and there are even balloons spelling out "98.9 FM" in the studio.

Gargadon says that they have said on air that the frequency change will not actually take place until next month.

Mérida has one other station in the reserved band, XHYRE-FM (Radio Educación). It is a class A, so it should find a new dial position fairly easily.

Staying in Mérida, it's a sad day as the founder of Radio Ecológico XHIPM-FM 102.3 died yesterday.

Francisco McManus Soto, who headed the Instituto para la Protección del Medio Natural, A.C., received the permit on August 16, 1999 and brought XHIPM to air six months later.

In a somewhat unusual marriage of IFT-4 winners, it looks like the format Media FM will be carrying to all those FMs (and AMs) it won in IFT-4 has a lot to do with the auction's biggest winner.

Media Group, as they are calling themselves, includes these stations and the cable-only Canal Seis. (You might recall they were turned down in an attempt to bid in IFT-6 as Media TV.)

The stations look like they are going to launch as Acustik Michoacán. You heard me right, Acustik.

Media FM describes Acustik Michoacán as "the most ambitious radio project at the state level" with eight stations. Not coincidentally, Media FM won eight stations in Michoacán in IFT-4. (The fate of its trio of Coahuila AMs is still unknown.)

Acustik Michoacán's schedule includes programming coming from the Acustik mothership, including the aforementioned program with Brozo but also the Javier Solórzano radio newscast, which ceased broadcasts on the Arroba FM network at year's end. (Solórzano, who also hosts Once Noticias on TV, is not to be confused with Javier Alatorre, the host of Hechos on TV Azteca, who also has his own radio newscast distributed through GCIM and aired on Audiorama stations.) There are also programs simulcast with Canal 6.

Given that the Brozo show debuts January 15, it's possible that may be the start date for some of Acustik's stations.

It's unclear if the Media FM "Acustik Michoacán" stations are on air; there is a program lineup, but as they had a casting for airstaff last month, I'm not sure how close they are.

The stations of Acustik Michoacán are

XHPQUI-FM/Mich. 92.7 Quiroga
    XHPHGO-FM 92.7 Ciudad Hidalgo
    XHPMAR-FM 94.3 Maravatío
    XHPNIM-FM 97.1 Nueva Italia
    XHPAPM-FM 100.9 Apatzingán
    XHPATZ-FM 103.7 Pátzcuaro
    XEMEFM-AM 1240 Morelia
    XEUORN-AM 750 Uruapan (that callsign, somehow, is correct)

According to the web stream, XEMEFM *is* identifying (as XEME, natch) and claiming it is 25 kW. It is the first AM from the auction that appears to be on. Studio facilities are at the Hospital Victoria Medical Center (also an office building), a 13-story building on Morelia's east side. Transmitter is in Col. Niños Héroes.

1240 AM may be on program test —*no commercials, all English classic hits, and a schedule not matching what should be on at this hour.

Thread Information