Page 38 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: OPMA is changing...

A good article from the Gran Diario de México, El Universal, about the new plans for the Radio Centro package and an interview with Alejandro Navarrete of the IFT. Some highlights:

Different processes for different concession types: "What we have to remember is that public and social [use concessions] are not auctioned off, they are direct assignments, so they use a different mechanism; when we talk about bidding processes, we're only talking about commercial concessions."

And yes, we could get new noncommercial stations from this: "So government institutions and other organizations can participate? That's correct. We'll make the evaluation and depending on the availability of the channels that we have, we will decide how to assign them, if they will be for commercial, public or social use.

If it's a very concentrated market, it will probably be more attractive to bring in new commercial competition; if it's a market that's more diversified in competition and we have public or social use requests, there the evaluation could tilt in favor of those last two types."

A national network, under the IFT's definition, reaches 30% of the population in each of Mexico's 32 federal entities. Navarrete explains that can be done with fewer than 40 stations, depending on the combinations utilized.

New border stations are a possibility: "Have you thought about including the country's largest cities, including border areas? Yes; in fact, it's part of what we've been negotiating, a very complicated negotiation with the FCC in the United States, exactly to allow for the possibility of having more than one available channel in big cities including those on the border."
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

After having to shut down XEDA AM, Radio S.A. continues running into problems as its five Hermosillo radio stations have been forced off the air by industrial action.

The culprit, as you might have guessed, is STIRT, which is asking for the concessions to be revoked (and awarded to others) against the lack of pay to 35 workers.

For his part, Carlos Quiñones says that two prior administrations had not done a good job of managing the stations and 15 years of documents had to be audited. He also does not have kind things to say about the head of STIRT Hermosillo, either.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

I've mentioned I live in metro Phoenix. So I figured now might be a good time to share what probably was my first experience with a radio signal from Mexico.

In Phoenix, we had a baffling sports talker situation for years. Through all its owners over the years, KTAR has held a kind of lock on Arizona sports. Aside from the Coyotes for a few years, KTAR held the rights to everything (and they now have the Yotes too). The Bonneville Phoenix station cluster, from 2007 to 2014, looked something like this:

KTAR FM 92.3, news talk
    KTAR 620, local sports talk
    KMVP 860, brokered gospel and sports overflow
    KPKX 98.7, adult hits

While KTAR was nominally an ESPN Radio station, it had a penchant for local sports talk and many commitments to live sporting events. This meant that if you were driving in a car and wanted to listen to the World Series or NBA Finals, your options were almost nonexistent.

I say "almost" because there were two, in fact. One was to listen in Spanish on KBMB 710, our ESPN Deportes outlet. I had to listen to part of one game of the 2013 World Series this way—and it was a stern test of my ability to decode Spanish AND Spanish baseball lingo. (It went OK, but I'd be better at it now).

The other was only an option at night: to turn your dial to the barren expanded band, where beginning at KMIK 1580 (Radio Disney, on the market for nearly 11 months now and our only 50 kW night station in Phoenix), 120 kHz of nothing ended at the tippy top of the dial, 1700. All I knew was that it was in San Diego and it was ESPN Radio. It was useful for those moments when KTAR had something else to show you — I recall listening to one game of the NBA Finals this way.

What I did not know, of course, is that 1700 was not in San Diego, but rather Tecate as XEPE. It's an interesting station historically, too: originally authorized for 1600 kHz as XEKTT (Tecate also had an XEKT), it somehow managed to become Mexico's second X-band radio station, and also its most powerful at night at 10/10. (The only other X-band at the time was XEUT 1630 Tijuana, which is part of the UABC Radio state network.)

Last year, the Bonneville folks finally did a sensible thing by flipping KPKX to sports talk, "Arizona Sports 98.7 FM" (with the KMVP-FM callsign), which left KTAR to become ESPN Phoenix 620. Glenn Hauser called it a waste of a station, but it was an improvement in Phoenix, and it allowed Bonneville to manage those chaotic sports nights by using 98.7, 620 and 860 (in that order) as sports overflow. It ended up spurring another format flip, too: Clear Channel's KYOT ditched its short-lived (mercifully) Eva FM format and became "95.5 The Mountain", or in other words, KPKX under CC.

And as for the X-band? XEPE is likely going to be the only commercial X-band station ever in Mexico. Besides XEUT, there are four additional expanded band radio stations in Mexico — the first three are all in the Mexico City area:

XEUACH 1610
    XEARZ 1650 (the only other station with a nighttime power greater than 1 kW; in this case, 5)
    XEANAH 1670
    XEFCSM 1700 (the only 50 kW day expanded band station I know of)

In order, that's: university, Grupo ZER with another one of its kind of famous permit stations which it probably obtained as an easy way to get into Mexico City and all that jazz, university, FCSM (read: Radio Maria). All permits. And Mexico has begun reserving the X-band for future dedicated use to social use and community radio stations (also, 106-108 MHz).

Nowadays, I know all that stuff. But back then, it was the ESPN Radio bailout—and a useful one, at that.

Actually the situation of XEFCSM is very strange. IFT says Radio María Mérida is on 1700 kHz, but Radio Maria's website says they are right now on 680 kHz. And I don't think it's really working with full power, because in my radio I can hear easily XEQT-800, XETVR-1150, XECAM-1280, XETEB-920 and a weak XEBAL-1470, and before shutoff for FM migration, XEWB-900.

More news on the IFT spectrum auction, this time from El Economista:

* There's been a lot of interest in regional networks, particularly in northern and southeastern Mexico, but also with interest in central and western regions as well.
    * The IFT will put out to bid some 200 new stations. That's an astounding number.
    * Televisa and Azteca can participate, but market analysis may make it hard for them to expand where they already have lots of stations.

More new television and radio stations are coming to Mexico with concessions issued by the IFT.

The biggest news is that the 26th state network in Mexico will come into operation, in Zacatecas, where the state government now has a public use concession. Residents of the state will also benefit from a new television station to an institution of higher education. There will also be three new social use concessions for civil associations on television — the first SUCs for television service.

On radio, new PUCs are being awarded to a private university and a public entity in Chihuahua.

No further information was available from the IFT press release.

What exactly is the difference between a public use concession and a social use concession?

According to the Federal Telecommunications and Broadcasting Law (modified by Enrique Peña Nieto's "reformas"), public use concessions are given to Federal, State, Municipal dependencies or public Universities. Social use concessions are given to civil associations or private Universities (in this case we have community radio stations). Both of them are non-profit concessions, and under the former Cofetel, both was known as "licensed stations".

Quote Originally Posted by Gargadon View Post
    According to the Federal Telecommunications and Broadcasting Law (modified by Enrique Peña Nieto's "reformas"), public use concessions are given to Federal, State, Municipal dependencies or public Universities. Social use concessions are given to civil associations or private Universities (in this case we have community radio stations). Both of them are non-profit concessions, and under the former Cofetel, both was known as "licensed stations".
    You couldn't have explained it better.

For instance, the new Zacatecas state network (which will be sister to XHZH-FM 97.9) has a public use concession. When permits are migrated, most of the public television stations we're used to talking about will be public use concessions: XEIPN (federal dependency), state networks, public university television stations (XHMNU), government-owned indigenous broadcasters, and so on.

Civil associations and civil societies (AC and SC) will have social use concessions. For instance, the Universidad Huasteca Veracruzana, with its station XHUHV 97.9, has a social use concession because it is a private university. There are quite a few existing radio stations, but not as many in TV, that will have this concession type.

It's sneaking up on you, isn't it...

Juárez. Tecate. TUESDAY.

The impending digital switchover also has American consequences as K26KJ will flash-cut on July 16 and become K26KJ-D (25.x). It looks like this Multimedios station, owned by the same Cabada US family as those XHILA translators in Yuma and Calexico, will have at least two subs right off the bat.

Thread Information