Page 56 of 164 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread: OPMA is changing...

Quote Originally Posted by Raymie View Post

I'm surprised that's like that and it's not on 25 like its parent station. I have to wonder if that's a mistake too.

Raymie, I could be wrong, but that was also my first thought. That just does not seem to match up with Mexico's plans to
    not use low-band.
    Danny
    Shreveport, LA
    Mexico/Latin America TV DX ID Tips http://www.tvdxtips.com
    Submit and read DTV Stats http://www.tvdxexpo.com/dtvdxrecords.html
    TV and DTV DX Photographs http://www.tvdxexpo.com
    My Photographs of 100 Mexico TV DX Local IDs http://www.tvdxexpo.com/100mexicotvids.html
    More than 1,100 TV logs since 1994

I'm expecting news to be light this week because tonight was the Grito and tomorrow is Independence Day.

So instead I'm going to go and dig up one of my favorite Mexico TV videos.

It's this set of two XHFN-8 promos from the Imevisión days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X34Jm5sFnkE

The first takes nearly three minutes and is merely images of the city set to the Corrido de Monterrey. You might recognize a thing or two in there!

The second features the full one-minute Imevisión image theme of the era and is also locally produced, with various people shots. The image and sound quality are not great, but the tape is pretty old.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

I know it's not DX, but I didn't find a place to put it. A record I made from XHIC-92.5 last week when I was on San Francisco de Campeche. I don't think it's running with full power (25 kW) since even XHCAM-101.9 (located in Escénica Ave.) with less power (10 kW) is easier to catch in mid-city.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Because this document describes the final technical parameters that will be given to all television stations in the border zone on the Mexican side. (It does not for the US, as that depends on the incentive auction.)
    Sort of. If a station has applied for facilities, those facilities are reflected here. If such an application had not been received, some type of placeholder allotment was used. For example, I'm pretty sure most of the 1 kW allotments in Sonora and Nuevo Leon will be built at lower power when all is said and done.

As far as the US, all the parameters are there except for channel and ERP, both of which will vary, as you suggest, due to the specific outcome of the auction.

There are floating channels, all of which are unbuilt but have IFT proposed allotments, that will be auctioned in 2016.
    IFT proposed them, but when we call them "floating" that means that after the auction shakes out, Mexico will get first dibs on selecting channels for them. Some of them will definitely not remain on the channels requested before this agreement was reached.

Mexicali, Baja California

A very heavy repacking schedule here. The first channel vacant is 19, which is currently in use in Yuma as ASU's last analog PBS translator.
    I will point out that Table 6 makes channel 19 available for KAJB.

The XHLRT one is a facility unknown up until this report came out. The allocation would have been 22 but that is in use on the US side.
    Yeah, I am not entirely sure how XHLRT wound up having channel 22 available in the old agreement, but it dates back to the 90s, it turns out. In any case, we flagged it to them as soon as I spotted it and recommended channel 32, which they accepted.

Ciudad Juárez

28: (New) (from 27)
    29: XEPM
    30: XHJCI (from 41)
    31: C3 (from 43)
    32: XHIJ (from 45)
    33: XHJUB
    34: XHCJE
    35: XEJ (from 50)
    36: XHCJH
    Note how the stations are stacked sequentially. I envision the same thing for the US stations on the lower half of the band. This, too, is by design; the idea being that it will be easier to coordinate things when your nearest source of interference is on the same side of the border. I had wanted to do this for more of the border but it didn't work out anywhere else.

Monterrey

Floating proposed: 14, could be high-VHF too
    Actually, what the comment means is that this floating station will be put on high-VHF and not UHF, but after the auction concludes and we see how VHF usage is on the US side.

29: XHRBA (from 41)

This last one is in red because there is something very wrong here.

There is no XHRBA. (Searching XHRB in the RPC or all the tables will yield a Quintana Roo FM and a Radio Sonora FM in Carbó.) There was once an XHRBT-42, last known programming Proyecto 40, at Río Bravo, Tamps.

This likely should be a newly available allotment instead.
    All I can tell you is that Mexico included it in more than one list of stations they sent to us.

There are many questions to come. But this is an international agreement, I must add, crafted between the FCC and the IFT. Its allocations for unbuilt stations (such as XHCTH and XHABC) are correct in every detail and I do not see any technical faults with it, aside from the XHRBA error.

Again, a major thanks to Trip for pointing me in this unexpected direction.
    You're welcome. And I'm glad to answer whatever questions I am comfortable answering.

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    It is all very interesting, Raymie. From what I gather, it looks as if the FCC & Mexican authorities have already gotten together for Mexican DTV repacking allocations; however if you look at the .pdf, there is absolutely no decision yet on allocations for the US! I realize it all hangs on how LD's will fare in the future, and how the piggybacking will work; but it sure would be interesting to see *now* what channels will be used by our existing stations. I figure that it is too complicated to divvy up the channels at this time here in the USA.
    Since the US side is driven by the incentive auction, channels cannot be chosen at this time. There are multiple options available for each station which the optimization software will be able to use to place the remaining stations after the auction concludes. That's what Table 6 shows.

I'm surprised that's like that and it's not on 25 like its parent station. I have to wonder if that's a mistake too.
    They claimed 4 was correct. I didn't quite believe it either. That being said, I don't know that we would approve the use of channel 25 in Agua Prieta anyway due to KMSB. (Though if the auction drops a different station onto channel 25, you never know.)

- Trip
    Come visit RabbitEars for all your digital TV subchannel informational needs.

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

Thanks, Trip.

It might be easier just to turn off all OTA TV stations next year and get it over with. It looks like it is headed in that direction
    in a few years, so why not just save all of the money this is costing taxpayers and broadcasters.
    Danny
    Shreveport, LA
    Mexico/Latin America TV DX ID Tips http://www.tvdxtips.com
    Submit and read DTV Stats http://www.tvdxexpo.com/dtvdxrecords.html
    TV and DTV DX Photographs http://www.tvdxexpo.com
    My Photographs of 100 Mexico TV DX Local IDs http://www.tvdxexpo.com/100mexicotvids.html
    More than 1,100 TV logs since 1994

Well, I'm amazed and not amazed at the same time that this phantom XHRBA is still on the books when its concession expired in 2010 and that wasn't even its callsign.

If they want to build an XHRBA, give it to the SPR or the IPN or put it out for bid in the 2016 TV auction as a public/social concession. Someone will find it useful. I'm surprised the mistake wasn't caught on their end.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    All I can tell you is that Mexico included it in more than one list of stations they sent to us.
    (referring to XHRBA-29)

Is it possible "RBA" is an abbreviation for something?

At one time there were dozens, if not hundreds, of "XENVA"s notified on AM, in all parts of Mexico. They were placeholders -- not real stations, but frequencies on which Mexico hoped to place stations. "NVA", of course, meant "Nueva", or "New". (just as the FCC lists a station's callsign as "NEW" until actual calls are assigned)
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Quote Originally Posted by w9wi View Post
    (referring to XHRBA-29)

Is it possible "RBA" is an abbreviation for something?

At one time there were dozens, if not hundreds, of "XENVA"s notified on AM, in all parts of Mexico. They were placeholders -- not real stations, but frequencies on which Mexico hoped to place stations. "NVA", of course, meant "Nueva", or "New". (just as the FCC lists a station's callsign as "NEW" until actual calls are assigned)
    The locality in question is Río BrAvo. The actual callsign of the station was XHRBT, to give you an idea of how close it came.

I always wondered what programming XHRBT would have had if it had ever made it on the air. The licensee was Television Informativa del Norte.

http://dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?c...cha=31/12/1969

Quote Originally Posted by mismac7 View Post
    I always wondered what programming XHRBT would have had if it had ever made it on the air. The licensee was Television Informativa del Norte.

http://dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?c...cha=31/12/1969
    I can tell you that with certainty. XHTVM.

A connection to Televisora del Valle de México shows up from the very start of the station's history. In fact, when TIN was selected in 1994 to obtain the channel 42 concession, that same day Javier Moreno Valle won the concession for XHEPR-FM Ciudad Juárez-El Porvenir, Chih. The legal address is the same for both of them: Montes Escandinavos 105, Col. Lomas de Chapultepec, México, D.F. A search of that address brings up, not far, "Elek, Moreno Valle y Asociados, S.A." at Montes Escandinavos 125. And further digging shows some yellow pages listings for "Corporación de Noticias e Información" at 105.

In any event, if you know anything about Javier Moreno Valle's legal history and the CNI saga, the fact that the station wasn't on even by 2009 should not surprise you. (And if you don't, it's one of the greatest sagas in broadcasting history and you should read my condensed version of it and the Wikipedia article for good measure.) Pretty much nothing will exist of the old CNI facilities once the analog era ends. XHTVM-TDT originates from and was allocated a digital channel consistent with other Azteca stations (leaving a tower and transmitter facility unused on Chiquihuite), and the old CNI studios are now Playboy Mexico's headquarters.

Moreno Valle can't enter Mexico right now because he has an arrest warrant out for unpaid back taxes. He lives in Houston. He is pretty much in exile even though he comes from a pretty prominent political family that includes the current governor of Puebla.

Summary: XHRBT never got off the ground because of CNI's troubles. Moreno Valle's legal problems in Mexico ensured that XHRBT would never see the light of day.

Seeing this at the bottom of the XHRBT barrel explains pretty much everything. There was no way that station was ever going to come to air. Even if you're like me and think that Azteca took XHTVM illegally, there is no way that CNI can ever return without sudden legal pressure (not to be expected from the government), massive capital investment and basically building a new TV station from scratch. You might as well put it up for auction.

EDIT: And of course I find something more:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050308...obertura02.asp

That Archive link goes to CNI's website as captured in March 2005, just months before CNI was closed by a strike. It is their "Coverage" page, listing then-current affiliates.

Their Coverage page is divided into three parts. The first is "stations on the air": XHTVM, Multimedios Monterrey, the Intermedia stations in Juárez and Mexicali, XHPNW Piedras Negras, the Campeche and Yucatán state networks, and two small local stations: 22 Arandas, Jalisco (XHARJ) and 4 San Miguel de Allende, Gto. (XHGSM).

The second part is their "coming soon". The Guerrero state network is on here, along with Multimedios Torreón, XHRBT (no surprise), and "channel 38" in Puebla, Cuernavaca and Toluca. This is where the mystery is.

Channel 38 was an analog allocation to Puebla. (It was built as XHOPPA.) But it does not make sense that 38 would have been available in Cuernavaca or Toluca. Toluca has an analog channel 31; Cuernavaca has an analog channel 28. There is no information to suggest such a station was ever put out to bid.

Internationally, CNI newscasts were available on WNVC in Washington, D.C., K40FW El Paso (now K25KJ-D, the sister to XHIJ) and K61GH San Diego (now KSDY-LD 50).

Additionally, going to any CNI snapshot from late 2005 reveals a final article, titled "INFORMACION PUBLICADA EL 18 DE JULIO DE 2005", with information relating to the lack of payments. It reaffirms something I said in here:

"Que a pesar de que no se ha levantado la huelga, y para subsanar parte de los adeudos con los empleados, el día de hoy, a partir de las 13 horas, en Montes Escandinavos 105, se pagará a todo el personal de confianza un mes de salario." [emphasis added]: "Despite the fact that the strike has not been lifted, and to make up part of the debts with the employees, today, at 1pm, at Montes Escandinavos 105, all confidence personnel will be paid one month's salary."

This barrel never truly ends, does it?
    Last edited by Raymie; 09-18-2015 at 03:38 PM.

Thread Information