Page 70 of 171 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast

Thread: OPMA is changing...

LATE WORD: Another 56 stations are going in the final apagón scheduled for December 22.

Chihuahua: Cd. Camargo, Cd. Delicias, Nuevo Casas Grandes, San Buenaventura
    Coahuila: Cd. Acuña
    Durango: Guadalupe Victoria, San Pedro, Santiago Papasquiaro, Durango
    Quintana Roo: Felipe Carrillo Puerto and Chetumal
    San Luis Potosí: Matehuala
    Sonora: Arizpe, Naco, Sonoyta and Puerto Peñasco
    Zacatecas: Nochistlán, Fresnillo, Jalpa, Sombrerete, Valparaíso, Zacatecas, Concepción del Oro, Tlaltenango

This is the final apagón before the national one. Notably Aguascalientes did not get called up.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

A potential game-changer for the technical information available to us about Mexican broadcast stations is being proposed, but there is a major catch.

The IFT today submitted for public opinion guidelines to create the National Infrastructure Information System (SNII). Among the requirements of the new system is that broadcasters will have to put into the new system information about the technical characteristics of their transmission facilities — coordinates, transmitter information, antennas, feeders, amplifiers, retransmitter information, etc. The new system would likely begin operation in 2017.

The main problem is the way access to this is being restricted in the proposed guidelines. It looks like they are making this information rather reserved and confidential — understandably in some regard. Reading the General Law on Transparency and Access to Public Information, I think they might consider it too much of a national security risk to release.

The public comment period is 90 days starting from today. I would love to file with them and say "some basic information about broadcast stations is made freely available by other countries such as the US — why not in Mexico?", but I don't think they'd listen to me. We have correct geographic coordinates for all TV stations, some radio stations within 320km of the US border, AM-FM migrants (not all combos), permits from the late 1990s, and selected stations that have made technical modifications available in the RPC. However, for older stations in both bands, newer FM stations that were authorized as such (such as certain permit stations), etc., we are missing that sort of information, which creates problems for the DXing community (particularly FM).
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

It's Mexican Thanksgiving. OK, that's not real but hey, I'm thankful for MORE SHADOW CHANNELS!

XHHE Piedras Negras and XHPNG Ciudad Acuña. These together provide both cities with dual network service. I had not heard of them until now! These are also in the FCC database as they have recently done tons of updates.

XHPNW Allende. RF 33, not 39! There are three more.

XHECH Cd. Cuauhtémoc. 23 kW!

Others are in the RPC, one has a link that gives me a 404 error (XHBZ Cd. Guzmán) and some aren't in the RPC but are in the FCC database! Notably XHCDE has a shadow on 19, its post-repacking channel, at Cd. Camargo, and XHSBC at 34 in Palaú.

We also have final digital facilities for XHK La Paz (http://rpc.ift.org.mx/rpc/pdfs/07101...ONAL010833.pdf), XHITC Comitán de Dominguez (http://rpc.ift.org.mx/rpc/pdfs/19081...ONAL010789.pdf), XHCOZ Cozumel (http://rpc.ift.org.mx/rpc/pdfs/12101...ONAL010840.pdf).

And... IT'S A MIRACLE! XHFCQ-TDT (http://rpc.ift.org.mx/rpc/pdfs/01101...ONAL010799.pdf) showed up but not any of the others. Coincidentally XHFCQ is the last one left of SQCS in the tables.

The Senate will take up on Monday an initiative to allow public broadcasters to continue in analog through 2016.

The debate will include the Communications and Transport and Legislative Studies Committees of the Senate.

———

Meanwhile, I found a DOF publication from 2000 that made available 39 new radio stations, none of which were ever built for some reason. (Notably, 96.7 and 101.7 Saltillo were included and earmarked for Ramos Arizpe, Coah., which is adjacent.)

What's really interesting is that the callsigns are protected. For instance, XHEVAB-FM, an AM-FM migrant in Valle de Bravo, Edomex, has that callsign despite there not being an XHVAB-FM. (There is an XHVAB-FM in that list.)

They have classic generic 5-letter callsigns, too. My favorite is XHXCA-FM, which would have been in TlaXCAla, Tlax.
    Last edited by Raymie; 11-26-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Coming soon to a website near you... Mexico!

I've blown out & regenerated my Mexican data. I started with the IFT Infraestructura de Estaciones de Televisión, dated August 14th.
    Through a combination of ACESLI* data from IFT, ground elevation data from Google Earth, and a HAAT calculator with worldwide database on the FCC website, I'm able to estimate the HAAT of the Mexican transmitters.

Some of these coordinates are fishy. The process of pulling the ground elevation data has shown me satellite photos of every TV transmitter site in Mexico. (one in Baja California is only a few dozen meters from the border )

Many of them show obvious towers. Many come up with coordinates *near*, but not quite at, obvious towers. Some come up at high elevations & along roads, but no tower appears to be present. Some show up in city areas -- sometimes with an obvious tower present, often not. Some come up in the middle of nowhere. One station's coordinates plot to the middle of a large river..... I'm not sure what's going on with this. If the coordinates are fishy, the HAAT estimate will be as well.

I've also used the PDF links Raymie posted to the grants for various shadows. I've only used the ones where a PDF is available as I haven't had enough data to do otherwise. This means a LOT of shadows are missing. Many shadows come up with a "-TDT-1" suffix on their callsigns. The -1 is an addition on my part to keep the data happy. (having more than one station with the same call letters is difficult) I may be missing a few where the same station has more than one shadow. Working on that. The programming sources on shadows are missing, that too I'm working on.

Finally, I'm aware there are issues with the mapping. Google changed the way links to their maps work. Someday I'll figure out how to work around it. Time for coding is scarce

It will take a couple of days for everything to percolate in.

Hope this all helps!

*I don't know what ACESLI stands for. In context it appears to be the height of the transmitting antenna above ground.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Quote Originally Posted by w9wi View Post
    Coming soon to a website near you... Mexico!

I've blown out & regenerated my Mexican data. I started with the IFT Infraestructura de Estaciones de Televisión, dated August 14th.
    Through a combination of ACESLI* data from IFT, ground elevation data from Google Earth, and a HAAT calculator with worldwide database on the FCC website, I'm able to estimate the HAAT of the Mexican transmitters.

Some of these coordinates are fishy. The process of pulling the ground elevation data has shown me satellite photos of every TV transmitter site in Mexico. (one in Baja California is only a few dozen meters from the border )

Many of them show obvious towers. Many come up with coordinates *near*, but not quite at, obvious towers. Some come up at high elevations & along roads, but no tower appears to be present. Some show up in city areas -- sometimes with an obvious tower present, often not. Some come up in the middle of nowhere. One station's coordinates plot to the middle of a large river..... I'm not sure what's going on with this. If the coordinates are fishy, the HAAT estimate will be as well.

I've also used the PDF links Raymie posted to the grants for various shadows. I've only used the ones where a PDF is available as I haven't had enough data to do otherwise. This means a LOT of shadows are missing. Many shadows come up with a "-TDT-1" suffix on their callsigns. The -1 is an addition on my part to keep the data happy. (having more than one station with the same call letters is difficult) I may be missing a few where the same station has more than one shadow. Working on that. The programming sources on shadows are missing, that too I'm working on.

Finally, I'm aware there are issues with the mapping. Google changed the way links to their maps work. Someday I'll figure out how to work around it. Time for coding is scarce

It will take a couple of days for everything to percolate in.

Hope this all helps!

*I don't know what ACESLI stands for. In context it appears to be the height of the transmitting antenna above ground.
    Altura del Centro Eléctrico Sobre el Lugar de Instalación. It's exactly what you think it is.

I really think we're going to get a table update soon. BTW I'm not posting links to EVERY SINGLE SHADOW. A bunch more are in the RPC. Lots of low, low ERPs. XHPTP and XHGEM between them have 27 shadows. There generally seems to be better information for Azteca now.

The FCC also updated its data this month and is in parallel with the IFT for a lot of TV stations, including all the XHAW shadows.

There are some shadows that are on separate RF channels. XHFN and XHWX Guadalupe NL (17 and 19). XHCCG and XHMAS León (14 and 16). XHAW has two shadows on 26 and its Saltillo shadow on 51. XHPNW has four shadows on 33 in the Cinco Manantiales region which is its post-repacking channel. Shadow XHI-34 Guaymas has an exceptional intermittent authorization for its station (it is 34 analog-digital) and I believe it was built to allow conversion to digital on that RF. Also on 34 is shadow XHSBC Palaú; the main station is currently authorized for 42.

Most shadows are being given the virtual channels of the old analog station in the area, not of their current parent station, so watch out for discrepancies in virtual channel.

For some reason, new shadows are being listed at the bottom of RPC document lists per station because someone turned "Modificaciones" into "Mofdificaciones".

One programming correction: XHMZE (Morelos) isn't the national Canal 22. It's a local station. It's kind of unbelievable to see it broadcasting in digital because it was at real risk of disappearing.

Where Callsigns Come From

Time for a new recurring feature, Where Callsigns Come From, where I talk about those few Mexican stations with interesting callsigns.

Today's fine example is a permit wolf (semi-commercial station with a permit), XHROJ-FM 104.3 Cancún. This station is owned by Corporativo Quequi through Fundación Maya Cancún, A.C. Neither the name of the civil association, nor Corporativo Quequi, get us close to ROJ.

The answer is actually in the RPC. It appears that the original applicant was represented by/controlled by a Sergio Rojano Sahab, who changed the callsign from the assigned XHFMC-FM about a month after getting the permit. (XHFMC-FM quite obviously comes from the name of the civil association, as is common with permit stations licensed in the last decade.) So I had to look up who our Mr. Rojano Sahab is.

That led me to this:

"Sergio Rojano Sahab, who has dealt in radio communication equipment in 1970 and claims to be advisor to the Association of Independent Broadcasters of Mexico, scams, strips concessions and unfairly competes against small radio and TV companies." (Even more ironic? That article ran in Quequi newspaper. Which owns XHROJ.)

And this, from 2011. He's on the left. On the right is a certain Felipe Calderón:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sergio-rojano-felipe-calder.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	18290

There also is evidence to suggest that Grupo ACIR was somehow involved in Yaakun FM. The website was yaakun.fm/cmai (all ACIR websites have the CMAI ending) and there was a trademark for Yaakun 104.3 FM to Radio ACIR, S.A. de C.V., available from IMPI (Mexico's USPTO).

It appears that Quequi took control of XHROJ on January 7, 2013, when Governor Roberto Borge Ángulo was present to ring in the new station. The station had previously been known as Yaakun FM. Wayback Machine snapshots of the listed website reveal that the station name was Mayan for "caring" and the format likely close to adult contemporary.

Wow, a document I've never seen before:

http://oncetv.ipn.mx/repetidoras/pdf...CANAL%2020.pdf

This is the contract between the IPN and the state of Chihuahua that led to the establishment of XHCHI, XHCHD and XHCHU. It's wild!

Originally, not only was there to be a Juárez repeater (which couldn't happen due to spectrum not being available — they hadn't even decided on technical characteristics), the stations were all going to be on different channels: Chihuahua 22 at 281.83 kW (built 20), Delicias 8 at 6.32 kW (built 20) and Cuauhtémoc 13 at 36.9 kW (built 20).

———

Meanwhile, in more important news, there has been a one-year extension to the apagón deadline of December 31...sort of...for public broadcasters.

Public broadcasters that cannot change over by December 31 will be asked to tell the IFT ahead of time, and the IFT will allow them to be off the air until they return in digital.

Current stations, both public and commercial, will also be allowed to reduce their powers to 1 kW/10 kW to meet the low-power transition deadline.

IFT President Gabriel Contreras has said that this will not impact the timeline for most stations in the rest of the country.

This will mean that some shadows will be on the air in analog in 2016. Get ready for a challenge!
    Last edited by Raymie; 12-01-2015 at 10:18 PM.

Just what I needed: another time sink Took me a few minutes to figure out what the RPC was, but it took more time to figure out how to get it to open.. most of my machines don't support Flash but the RPC won't load without it. Frankly IMHO an example of web design meant to be flashy, not functional. Unfortunately hardly unusual In the process I watched the apagon PSA on the IFT website - interesting. Really, IMHO better done than most of the PSAs supporting the US conversion. Sure wish they'd post this data in a text format & not force us to read a few hundred PDFs

I changed XHMZE to "IND". There's another error - somewhere I lost a field when transferring from text file into the database. Because I can assure you XHMZE isn't running negative 64 kilowatts of power, and they're not at 99 seconds north and 99 seconds west

Shadows go into my database as completely separate stations, so I can configure the virtual channels separately. I'm sure quite a few are wrong - I've been presuming they're using their own old analog channel but in some cases that's going to be wrong. I'm going to try to list all of them -- I don't have a low ERP cutoff. I do ignore FCC data on stations authorized by other administrations. They may be updating it to handle the upcoming repacking but I don't trust them to continue to update it once that's complete.

I'm going to have to add some code to my HTML-generation routines to do entity coding. City names with characters not in 7-bit ASCII (like Palaú and Cd. Acuña) are getting mangled. Same thing happens with Canadian stations but only a handful of places in Quebec. There's a LOT more of that in Mexico.

But it's a start. Your information is GREATLY appreciated!
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Quote Originally Posted by w9wi View Post
    Just what I needed: another time sink Took me a few minutes to figure out what the RPC was, but it took more time to figure out how to get it to open.. most of my machines don't support Flash but the RPC won't load without it. Frankly IMHO an example of web design meant to be flashy, not functional. Unfortunately hardly unusual In the process I watched the apagon PSA on the IFT website - interesting. Really, IMHO better done than most of the PSAs supporting the US conversion. Sure wish they'd post this data in a text format & not force us to read a few hundred PDFs

I changed XHMZE to "IND". There's another error - somewhere I lost a field when transferring from text file into the database. Because I can assure you XHMZE isn't running negative 64 kilowatts of power, and they're not at 99 seconds north and 99 seconds west

Shadows go into my database as completely separate stations, so I can configure the virtual channels separately. I'm sure quite a few are wrong - I've been presuming they're using their own old analog channel but in some cases that's going to be wrong. I'm going to try to list all of them -- I don't have a low ERP cutoff. I do ignore FCC data on stations authorized by other administrations. They may be updating it to handle the upcoming repacking but I don't trust them to continue to update it once that's complete.

I'm going to have to add some code to my HTML-generation routines to do entity coding. City names with characters not in 7-bit ASCII (like Palaú and Cd. Acuña) are getting mangled. Same thing happens with Canadian stations but only a handful of places in Quebec. There's a LOT more of that in Mexico.

But it's a start. Your information is GREATLY appreciated!
    Alright. I do understand your concern — it's a clunky format, but it's better than the nothing we used to have.

XHAW shadows use all 12.x (including Saltillo). Any XHOP__ station (all of them are now operating, though the most recent 10 have just one sub) will not have PSIP to analog if it had one. XHTRES and certain state networks and public stations (Veracruz, Jalisco, Oaxaca, Aguascalientes, UANL Mty, XHUNES Durango which is operating but not in RPC) do not use PSIP and are even branding as their RF channels (Aguascalientes TV is now using a 26 logo).

I've also found some more digital authorizations for the Oaxaca state network. I update the Wikipedia tables based off the RPC, so those should be fine to use (I also list shadows that are some distance away from the station and/or those over 15 kW). XHSGX was authorized for six watts, and XHSMI for just two watts. That is not a misprint.

I'm going to warn you now: XHGEM has 21 shadows, and XHPTP has six more.

———

Oh yes, and some of the concessions from back in July are now in the RPC!

Integración Mexicana con Visión en Zacatecas will build XHZAC-TDT on channel 20. (What a great callsign!) Its legal representative is PRI politician Adolfo Bonilla Gómez, who was deputy for Zacatecas in the 62nd Legislature (2012-15) and is now the state's economy secretary.

Fundación Cultural por Zacatecas will sign on channel 22, with callsign XHFZC-TDT. Its legal representative is José de Jesús Aguirre Campos, who also owns the NTR newspaper. NTR operates an online/cable station known as Canal 44.

Valores y Tradiciones de mi Tierra, A.C., will operate on channel 30 as XHZAE-TDT. The listed legal representative is Rodrigo Rodríguez Reyes. That makes me suspect that this is going to be connected to Grupo Radiofónico ZER — like the permit stations he owns on FM. In 2011, he was the vice president of ZER. I get the feeling they'll change the calls to XHZER-TDT to match their powerhouse FM here.

We also got the concession information for XHUJAT-TDT in Villahermosa, including ERP and transmitter coordinates (unlike the others). But these three "social" stations are PERMIT WOLVES. That's all they are. It's like on radio. If you can't get a commercial station, just masquerade as a civil association and get a social use concession (or, prior to 2014, a permit). ZER does this a ton on radio, and now it's doing it on TV.

On FM, the new stations from this round are...

XHRUC-FM 105.7 Cd. Cuauhtémoc, from the UACh Campus Cuauhtémoc (http://rpc.ift.org.mx/rpc/pdfs/03091...N_ESPECTRO.pdf)
    XHRTC-FM 89.3 Campeche, Camp. (http://rpc.ift.org.mx/rpc/pdfs/14091...N_ESPECTRO.pdf)

Thread Information