Page 94 of 164 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144 ... LastLast

Thread: OPMA is changing...

Quote Originally Posted by Gargadon View Post
    It's very hilarious that the only station autorized to multiplexing in Campeche is XHAN-49 (Canal 5), the only city in all the state where Televisa has two stations.
    That's almost certainly for Gala TV Campeche. XEPM has had an SD feed of itself for some time.

The real head-scratcher is XHTUA Tuxtla Gtz where there's already Canal 5 (on XHTX).
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

So I went through some bad international treaties and came up with some interesting "lost radio stations" that were mentioned in the DOF but never happened...

XERA-FM 89.1 Guadalajara - A double whammy of excitement, this 14.3 kW ERP station with an XE callsign was to be owned by Rafael Rubio González. It ultimately became XHRA on 89.9, with the same concessionaire. XHGDA was put out for bid in the late 80s. (Sept. 30, 1968)

XHRK-FM 98.3 León - 4 kW station to be owned by Ana María Romo Romo (also see below). The XHRK calls were not used in Monterrey until the early 70s. (Nov. 26, 1968)

XHRD-FM 98.5 Tijuana - Listed in several editions of Broadcasting Stations of the World, a 99 kW blowtorch and border blaster that would have been owned by Víctor Manuel Díaz Romo. If the name sounds familiar, Víctor Díaz came from the Díaz Romo family of broadcast pioneers in Jalisco and ended up running the Tijuana unit as Califórmula Broadcasting. (March 15, 1969)

XHMT-FM 97.7 Matamoros Tamps. - Became XEEW-FM, though here it's listed with a callsign that would have been more traditional. (April 14, 1975)

XHAGC-FM 107.9 Aguascalientes - A Class B to be owned by José Manuel de Alba Muñoz. (October 3, 1977)

XHNV-FM 90.1 Monterrey - The 1974 US-Mexico FM treaty lists this and some other...odd stations. I don't know where the lineage goes, but XENV-AM likely has something to do with it. 90.1 was vacant in Monterrey until 2008. 90.9 was given as XHXL-FM.

XHGH-FM 105.9 Cd. Juárez - A noteworthy misspelling because this would be in line with the original concessionaire's name. XHGU is named for Guillermo O. Huerta Ramírez.

XHAP-FM 104.9 Mexicali, XHFE-FM 89.9 Mexicali - I got nothing. Both of the stations on these frequencies in Mexicali were awarded in the 80s. Note that XHMC was listed as a station on 100.5 in Monterrey — which no longer exists.

That document also lists XHMMP instead of XHMMF. Weirdly, that concession was awarded in 1980 too.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

On Monday, another public comment period will be opened, this time for the guidelines for completing AM-FM migration in cities like Puebla and elsewhere. More info on this when the documents are made available.

Virtual channels remapping incoming... http://www.ift.org.mx/comunicacion-y...-de-television

Quote Originally Posted by Gargadon View Post
    Virtual channels remapping incoming... http://www.ift.org.mx/comunicacion-y...-de-television
    Oh, I missed that!

Looks like VC-Day will be October 27. It *will* force all national networks into a single channel number. Education efforts and news of the remapping will begin in August. We should have tables of the assignments late next month - within 30 days of the effective date of the guidelines.

I wouldn't want to be KVIA or KCOS right now. When that day comes, viewers OTA are going to see double 7 and double 13, and it seems the IFT will not allow for adjustments near the border like they really need to — or like I suggested in the comment I filed with the IFT.

It's also noteworthy that I think Televisa is moving towards changing the name of Canal de las Estrellas to Canal 2. This would go hand in hand with that move.
    Last edited by Raymie; 06-18-2016 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymie View Post
    FIRST on the Mexico Beat: A yawner of an item from the IFT last month is suddenly much more exciting!

A closer read of some stenographic versions of Pleno meetings reveals that the multiprogramming request made by Multimedios Televisión is not for Milenio or Teleritmo:

"Mi voto acompañará a los asuntos III.55 a III.59, son solicitudes de autorización de multiprogramación, que presenta Multimedios y Televisión, para brindar el acceso de ante multiplex a la programación del canal 52 MX..."

This is big news. 52MX is owned by MVS; its name comes from the channel 52 concession MVS attempted to use back in 2001 (but couldn't apply to non-subscription television due to the nature of the concession, as covered before).

The stations that will carry 52MX are XHNAT, XHVTU, XHTAO, XHVTV and XHSAW.
    I read on one of the Mexican forums that XHVTV has lit up a new channel 54.4.

Quote Originally Posted by mismac7 View Post
    I read on one of the Mexican forums that XHVTV has lit up a new channel 54.4.
    Just saw that now. They're also citing me for the news on 52MX, so I'm going to link to the stenographic meeting notes that prove it and excerpt the appropriate segment [sic]:

"Mi voto acompañará a los asuntos III.55 a III.59, son solicitudes de autorización de multiprogramación, que presenta Multimedios y Televisión, para brindar el acceso de ante multiplex a la programación del canal 52 MX" (Page 79)

Multimedios has been a pioneer in multiplexing its stations, usually with Milenio TV and Teleritmo. It looks like they're abandoning some of that here for what must have been a lucrative offer from MVS.

——

Also, this piece from Excélsior is interesting. It talks about the fact that more than 500 radio concessions come up for renewal this year but that the price of concession renewals has skyrocketed, making them expensive for broadcasters; this is exacerbated by a switch from annual to one-time payment. It even mentions that within the CIRT, some broadcasters are considering not renewing all of their station concessions.

——

We also got the stenographic notes from the June 8 meeting where several broadcasting matters were discussed.

Some notes:

-No multiprogramming in Agua Prieta, Los Reyes Mich. or Ocosingo. In each of those localities, the IFT found Televisa would have more than half the program streams, not permissible for Televisa as the agente económico preponderante.

-There were also 18 permit conversions, 15 FMs and 3 TVs. 3 of the FMs will become social-community stations; the other FMs and the TVs will become social. I cannot think of who the social TV stations might be but there are very few possibilities: Canal 28 Chihuahua (two stations), XHMAP Monclova, XHUAD and XHUNES Durango, XHCEP and XHGSM in Guanajuato.

I've panned some of the articles from Puebla publication E-Consulta in the past, but they have beat everyone but us to the punch when it comes to analyzing the impact of the virtual channel decision. Instead of writing an article that rehashes the IFT press release — a sure sign that the site subscribes to Notimex — E-Consulta nailed it:

Televisa Puebla's channel 3 must change numbers as a result of the IFT's approval of the General Guidelines for the Assignment of Broadcast Television Virtual Channels. According to the agreement, beginning October 27, 2016, when a viewer tunes in channel 3 anywhere in the country, the station that will appear will be Cadena 3, a business of Olegario Vázquez Raña that will begin operations this year.
    Many local stations will need to find new numbers, as 2, 3, 5, 7, probably 9, sort of 11, and 13 will be used for national services; there will probably be some displacements from 11 in areas where Canal Once operates its own transmitter. For some stations, this will be the second channel change in their history. For instance, XEFB will have to find a number that's not 2 or 3. For others, it will be a first: stations on both coasts and near both borders will face this dilemma.

In other cases, the dilemma will be which channel to apply across an entire network. TVMÁS has never used former analog numbers in digital (except where they did not have separate digital facilities). Telemax has dozens of transmitters and does use PSIP. The SPR will probably get virtual channel 30 nationwide.

I anticipate that the even numbers - 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 - will be home to various local and regional services, some state networks (for instance, Canal 10 Chiapas) and displaced locals. I expect Multimedios will become 12 in the cities it operates. There will be also scattered channels in the "UHF" band with channels 14 and higher, though not many.

XHBG with its ridiculous change of branding to channel 27 (its digital physical channel) now looks like it made a wise choice.

The IFT's proposed Guidelines for AM-FM Migration are up, and it's going to be a battle royale for some and a bumper crop for others.

Just 46 new commercial FM stations will come of this, in these areas:

Salamanca, Gto.: 1
    Guadalajara: 8
    Mexico City: 1
    Toluca: 2
    Puebla: 5
    Mexicali: 1
    Monterrey: 4
    Nogales, Son.: 6
    San Luis Río Colorado: 2
    Cd. Camargo, Tamps.: 2
    Cd. Miguel Alemán, Tamps.: 4
    Matamoros: 1
    Nuevo Laredo: 6
    Reynosa: 2
    Río Bravo: 1

Note only one new frequency in Mexico City, which will likely mean quite a few owners (ABC, Radio Chapultepec, Radio Educación, Radiorama) fighting for one frequency.

Today also saw another major event: the publication in the DOF of the call for bids for the IFT-4 AM and FM station bid.

(Note to readers: There are two big bidding processes now in the works, IFT-4 for radio and IFT-6 for television. I will refer to both by these official names.)

Thread Information