View Poll Results: What's Your Score for the 2014 E Skip Season?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - the best ever

0 0%

1 11.11%

1 11.11%

1 11.11%

2 22.22%

1 11.11%

0 0%

1 11.11%

1 11.11%
  • 1 - the absolute worst ever

1 11.11%

Thread: What Is Your Score for the 2014 E Skip Season

Default What Is Your Score for the 2014 E Skip Season

Pick a number from one to ten, ten being the ultimate skip season ever and one being the worst. Explain if you want to.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Due to a busy daytime schedule (and working evening shift) I've gone two years without catching *any* skip openings.

My schedule has actually been *worse* this year -- but I've noticed multiple decent openings, some going for hours, and into interesting places like New England.

It's not anywhere near the BEST year, but it's a whole lot better than 2012 and 2013.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Default I'll give it seven points.

I'll give it seven points. I'm not sure whether it was truly a good season or not because it's my first Es season, but I gave it a good score because getting Es was an exciting experience.

I remember my first Es opening. I was DXing some weak tropo one late May morning and I was listening to WCAL's faint signal on 91.9, when suddenly another station faded on top of it with a full quieting signal. I thought, "That's odd. I've never heard tropo fade in like that," but I still just thought it was some sort of odd tropo. After about half a minute, it finally dawned on me, and found the bottom end of the band full of signals! That was the day I identified WLTQ from Florida, my first Es catch.

I wish I had gotten into this a few years earlier, so I would be able to get analog TV via Es. I'm still kicking my self about that.
    Last edited by 88-108; 01-18-2015 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Fixing typo
    My equipment: A Grundig G3 and a folded dipole

I gave it a 9! This is the best Es year I have EVER experienced. There is a huge difference between being in a large market with 35 channels of IBOC, six channels of Jesuscasters and too many Vancouver/Victoria pests (Seattle area), and one with only 16 locals, and a few LPers (Yakima). That opened up brand new channels for me, like 96.5, 97.3 and 98.1 that were never available in Seattle due to locals. I count almost 110 new ones via Es this year - a smash over the other years in IBOC-filled Seattle. Don't miss it.
    Why I gave it a 9 is because this season failed to have a Denver/Cheyenne/Scottsbluff opening. I used to get Cheyenne and Laramie and sometimes Denver, pretty often from Seattle. Denver is still 915 miles (compared to 1015-1020 from my Seattle area QTHs) and Cheyenne is about 875 (compared to about 970 from Seattle). I also failed to get into Oklahoma City, which Dave Williams down in Redmond/Bend gets a lot from May-August. I did get a few new ones from OK and OK is a new FM state for me this year. Also added WI for a new FM state, ON for a new province, and Chihuahua for a new Mexican province with a 100+ mi record broken with a 1469-mi log of XHECS 97.3 "Imagen" from Chihuahua on 5/25.
    ALL IN ALL - AN IMPRESSIVE YEAR!!

-crainbebo
    FM/AM/SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!

Can't give it more than a 5. No long skip, only 3 decent openings, and many openings were short, low-MUF, weak and very geographically concentrated. That set of conditions doesn't make for a good season. It's better than 2012, but that was the worst ever here. The only good thing was adding 3 new translators at 150, 38 and 23 watts.
    Russ Edmunds
    15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id
    Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Onkyo T450RDS; 4) Tecsun PL-310;
    Sony XDR-S3; Sony ICF2010; all w/ APS-9B @ 15';
    2) Sony ICF2010 barefoot w/ whip

I gave it a 6. The tremendous event to the Caribbean and Mexico May 26 was the highlight. Maybe the record low sunspot activity for the cycle peak may have something to do with depressed Es conditions.
    Randy KW4RZ Fort Walton Beach, Florida panhandle EM60

I gave it an 8. I got the NPR station from Las Vegas, NV, for the second year on May 25, 2014, only this time, I was able to record it on my laptop computer, by using a plug going from my Grundig S450DLX Radio's Earphone jack, to the Microphone In jack on the computer. I used the radio for my first year of FM DX'ing, which began on June 1, 2013.
    Since May 25, 2014, I've recorded the FM DX I've received.
    KNPR was the first FM station I received via DX.
    Also on May 25, 2014, I received a Colorado FM station for the first time, KVJZ, 88.5 FM, Vail, CO. Next, I received a UnID NPR station on 88.7, later mixing with another station.
    After that, I received a Montana station for the first time, KCGX, 93.1, Sidney, MT.
    Next, I received a station from Canada for the first time, CKMW, 88.9, Winkler, Manitoba.
    Toward the end of the recording, it may have mixed with an NPR station, possibly KNPR. I also received a French language station from Canada, but never had an ID.On July 20, I received an UnID classical station on 88.5. On July 21, I received an UnID on 91.5. Next, I received a station on 91.3, when my local NPR station KUAF, Fayeteville, AR, was off the air.
    The other station I heard turned out to be College radio station KRSC, Claremore, OK.
    On July 24, I received classical station KUCO, 90.1, Edmond, OK, over local station KBNV, Fayetteville, AR.
    The two stations began to mix toward the end, with KBNV becoming dominant again.
    I first received KUCO as KCSC, on June 2, 2013. On August 9, 2014, I received NPR station KMUW, 89.1, Wichita, KS.
    I first received them on August 1 or 2, 2013. This time, on August 9, I recorded it on my computer.

I gave it an 8 out of 10 because I received more stations this year than last, but I never knew what the UnID stations were.

Kegan

Thread Information