Thread: the SDRPlay SDR...8mhz of FM spectrum

Default the SDRPlay SDR...8mhz of FM spectrum

Recently I was given an SDR to test from SDRPlay in the UK. I specifically wanted to check out the FM on this unit because being able to see 8mhz of spectrum during a skip or tropo opening, and being able to record it and play it back later, would be a great aid to the FM DX hobby (the Elad FDM-S2 just does 6mhz).

I tried it out for two weeks and then bought it from them. I wrote a review of their RSP (SDR) and posted it here. Check it out.

This unit sells for half the price of the Elad FDS-S2 and should be affordable to many more DXers. I think it's a keeper.

Mike B
    Enfield, CT
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Sounds pretty good for AM/FM/TV/NOAA. Doesn't the Elad only go up to 160 MHz? When I get an SDR I might want to monitor for ATSC carriers with it (for tropo in addition to e-skip). Is the SDRPlay good for spotting weak ATSC carriers (well before an Insignia box would register them)?
    :: Ryan Grabow
    :: egrabow.com/dx
    :: facebook.com/egrabow440
    :: youtube.com/user/egrabow440
    View My Logbook
    91 Digital TV ::
    407 FM Stations ::

Quote Originally Posted by egrabow View Post
    Sounds pretty good for AM/FM/TV/NOAA. Doesn't the Elad only go up to 160 MHz? When I get an SDR I might want to monitor for ATSC carriers with it (for tropo in addition to e-skip). Is the SDRPlay good for spotting weak ATSC carriers (well before an Insignia box would register them)?
    The E2 only goes up to 160mhz (just missees weather radio freqs). It will monitor lowband analog TV video carriers fine. When it (or the dongles,even) use my TV antenna, I can see the carrier from ch2 in Ontario...about 400 miles!) and I've never seen video from it on TV because it's too weak.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

mikesdx.com

I've been playing around with SDRPlay receiver with the SDR Sharp Software for a few days.
    I like the all band coverage of LW beacons, medium wave AM, ham bands, weather bands, TV, Short wave, Utility bands, etc.
    Also ability to see the signal strength and vary the bandwidth and filters, as well as RDS PI/PS/RT on FM.
    I figured out how to record/play back the sound for a selected frequency (had to select "Raw" in the Radio drop-down menu).
    I have not yet discovered how to play back the baseband recording. When I play back the IQ wave file, it sounds like it's
    playing an unintelligible fast forward in a non-stop loop, and with no RDS displayed on FM.
    There are no good reviews or operating procedures or tips that I could find on this setup.
    Anyone have similar issues? Could it be adjustments needed with my PC Sound Card, or is my PC too fast?
    Fred Nordquist
    KJ4BUG
    Last edited by fredn-mcsc; 11-11-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Fred I should have mine back by this weekend so I'll look at it. I can always email Jon Hudson at SDRPlay and tell him about it, or I can give you his email address. You shouldn't need to have to use RAW for audio audio recording. There should be a recording tab on the left side menus of SDR Sharp that lets you select either audio or baseband recording.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

mikesdx.com

Mike,

In your review, you mentioned that you compared SDR-Play with the Onkyo T450 and the Elad S2.

You then went on to outline the comparison with the Onkyo but not the S2.

What were your conclusions WRT the comparison between the S2 and the SDR Play, especially with the Band 2 performance?

I get no overload whatsoever when my antenna is aimed SSW using the S2. I get a weak image or two with SDR Play. Selectivity is no problem with either. I have to use antenna phasing when DXing to my SSW and I like the S2 better for that because of the software. I can nudge the phaser into a null easier with it because the S2 spectrum responds almost instantly to any slight adjustment to either dial of the phaser.

I posted more at the Skywaves forum about this a few months back. For $150 it's a very good buy. Just don't use it in a city with two dozen powerful local signals a few miles away from the SDR beause it will overload.

Let me add that I use a preamp with the S2 but the SDRPlay unit doesn't seem to need it, probably because it already has an LNA. But the RSP would cause problems with the extra gain while the S2 would not and does not overload even with the preamp.

Hope this helps a little.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

mikesdx.com

Thread Information