Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: YouTube Airspy SDR Review and Comparison.

Thanks NickNJ for the review & the video of your use of the beta of SDR Console software. What beta version of SDR Console software are you using? is it 2.3 Beta? I am waiting for the F Female Jack to SMA Male Plug Straight RF Coax Connector Adapter that I ordered on Ebay to come in. Then I will be able to hook up my Airspy SDR to my FM-6 outdoor Antenna.

Simon has build 1940 at the download section right now and it will work.
    http://v2.sdr-radio.com/Download.aspx
    v2.2 will not work.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

This is actually the version that will work with Airspy, it's a "kit" that the developer posted on the SDR Console Yahoo group... https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvyyx9r2j7...b1959.zip?dl=0

The disclaimer of course is that the kits are betas (use at your own risk), but I've not found any glaring bugs yet.

Default SDR Play with SDR Console v2.3b build 1962 - RDS Text fixed.

Simon Brown/G5ELI (http://v2.sdr-radio.com) released his latest build 1962 on the Yahoo SDR-Radio.com group.

The RDS Text on the FM Stereo Spectrum screen was fixed, and now comes up
    quickly along with the other RDS data.

It also would be nice to have the RDS Text data added to the FM Stereo RDS screen
    (which can be saved as a text file). Auto-logging feature also would be nice as
    a future enhancement.

Fred Nordquist
    KJ4BUG -FM03AF

There was a little surprise FM E-Skip opening to MN, WI, and the Dakotas here on Friday 12/19, and I was able to record a small segment on the Airspy. A link to a YouTube video is below. You may notice the waveform was a bit jumpy - I had not experienced this before using it, I think I simply had too many applications running at the time on my laptop (it may also be partially related to the latest beta version of SDR Console I am using, build 1966, but I am not positive).

I didn't have an external drive ready to record on Friday so that limited the length of the opening I was able to record (I quickly ran out of SSD space!). In experimenting in writing directly to my 3 TB external USB drive this weekend with SDR Console data recordings, after about 5 minutes of recording I seem to run out of memory on my laptop. I am not sure if the computer is unable to keep up with the amount of data being written to the external drive or what the deal is. I'm a little concerned, but I need to play around with it some more.

http://youtu.be/BebxGxH80VE

Another video, this time from an E-Skip opening after 11 PM Eastern Time into FM on Friday 12/26 into MS, AL, and TN. Had some success tuning around IBOC in this one, albeit with flamethrowers out of Jackson in WUSJ and WJKK. WPLZ was a nice surprise in this at 669 mi., as I had no idea working the opening live that paths that short, relatively speaking, were around. If I had heard the country music live on 95.3, I would have assumed it was WFFN and probably moved on.

http://youtu.be/KaJsmNl9GuI

here is a review of the Airspy One SDR in my location. this morning I was receiving light Rio Grande Tropo conditions and had a chance to test out the Airspy One to see how well it does with Tropo. my Airspy was receiving a strong XHTAM-17 Matamoros audio signal on 493.750MHz and video signal on 489.250MHz. dead bulls eye on the two frequencies. there was no drift off of the frequencies like the RTL Dongles have problems with. no adjustment needed. the Airspy One was cold and I just started it up. no warm up needed. my Air spy test was done with XHTAM-17 signals not strong enough to have video or audio on my Analog TV. test done with SDR Sharp ver. 1.0.0.1331 software. the Airspy SDR has a very clear strong XHTAM-17 signal on the WFM mode. my Realistic Pro-2004 Scanner has nothing but static noise in WFM mode. but when I put my scanner on NFM mode strong garbled-speech audio XHTAM-17 signal with some static. as for XHTAM-17 video signal, the Airspy SDR has a strong signal tone on LSB Mode on 489.250MHz. The Airspy SDR also has a very weak video signal tone on the RAW mode. the Pro-2004 scanner has a very faint XHTAM-17 video signal on the WFM mode. my Airspy also was receiving a very faint weak video signal tone on 711.250MHz on LSB mode. must have been XHVTV-54 Matamoros trying to make it here. no audio signal on 715.750MHz on the Airspy. no audio or video signal for ch,54 on the Pro-2004 scanner. with the Airspy I can lower the noise floor to hear a very weak ch.54 video signal tone buy using the IF, Mixer, and LNA Gain sliders. on the FM Band the Airspy One is is very good with Tropo. Its just as good as my Sony XDR-F1 radio. Airspy has one thing my XDR-F1 does not, and that's lighting fast RDS decoding with PI codes. will come in handy come E-Skip Season. the only station that airspy have a overload problem with is 90.3 WBRH when antenna pointed at their tower. I can lower the gain and lower the noise floor some to lower the overload some to be able to hear stations near 90.3 on the dial. I have that same problem with 90.3 WBRH overload on my car radio & portable radios here. my Grundig G5 has overload problem with 90.3 WBRH bleed over splatter also. I live less than a mile from the 90.3 WBRH radio tower. My sony XDR-F1 radio does not have the 90.3 WBRH overload problem. that radio seems to be bullet proof from any overload going by all the reviews of it on the internet. here is my FmFool.com plots in my location.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMFMTVDTVBRLA-FM.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	16536
    Last edited by amfmtvdtvbrla; 01-05-2015 at 12:50 AM.

Default YouTube Airspy SDR Review And Comparison

Thanks for the posts everybody. I am starting to get interested in this, too.

Here are some screen shots of the Airspy One vs the RTL2832U Dongle in action here in my location.

RTL2832U Dongle:

Name:	90.3 WBRH RTL.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	431.6 KB 
ID:	16537Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K249DV  WTGE RTL.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	453.5 KB 
ID:	16538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WYNK WFMF RTL.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	472.3 KB 
ID:	16539

As you can see bad overloading & bleeding splatter all over the place.

Airspy One:
    90.3 WBRH with antenna turned away from their tower. FM-6 antenna pointed southwest in all these screen shots below.

Name:	90.3 WBRH.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	423.9 KB 
ID:	16540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KTDY Airspy.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	421.7 KB 
ID:	16541Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WDGL Airspy.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	437.4 KB 
ID:	16542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WFMF Airspy.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	441.7 KB 
ID:	16543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTGE Airspy.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	439.7 KB 
ID:	16544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WYNK Airspy.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	434.2 KB 
ID:	16545

90.3 WBRH with FM-6 antenna pointed at their tower.

Name:	WBRH Overload.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	492.2 KB 
ID:	16546

as you can see there is some overload and bleed over splatter present here but as you can see in the screen shots below is, all I have to do is adjust the LNA Gain down from 5 to 0 in the Airspy Controller and Bam!!! no more overload. FM-6 antenna is still pointed at WBRH tower. and I live less than a mile from their tower.

Name:	KLSU Airspy.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	397.5 KB 
ID:	16547Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRKF Airspy.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	397.9 KB 
ID:	16548

I hope this review helps all the DXers here decide if Airspy is worth to buy.

Nice review of the SDRplay RSP here showing great results achieved with it during the recent tropo lift in Europe http://www.sdrplay.com/JHweb/FMDX.html

Thread Information