Thread: More Insignia/Zenith weirdness

Default More Insignia/Zenith weirdness

Has anyone that owns the Zenith/Insignia CECB come across this??......

WFLX 28, a local for me, has the signal bar jumping from about 15% up to the normal 95%, then down again, then up again, constantly. The picture freezes when bar is down, yet does not go blank.

Ryan told me to try the Coby TV----sure enough, a constant signal. But back to the Z/I, I still have this issue. I have 2 Z/I's, and both are acting this way.

What gives?

cd

I'm having some PSIP weirdness currently with local WTBY-27/54. Usually the PSIP shows generic channels names like "TBN" for 54.1, "TCC" (The Chruch Channel) for 54.2 and so on. Over the weekend, the call letters were shown instead, such as "WTBY-D1" for 54.1, ":WTBY-D2" for 54.2 etc. Since last night, there is no PSIP info being received, so the box reverts to default "27.3", "27.4" (actual physical channels) etc with no call letters/ID. The LG TV shows the same, so this is a WTBY issue, not a reception issue.
    Chris - Poughkeepsie, NY
    DTV DXer since April 2009
    DTV DX screenshots at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtvdxer/sets
    DTV DX Videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtvdxer

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    Has anyone that owns the Zenith/Insignia CECB come across this??......

WFLX 28, a local for me, has the signal bar jumping from about 15% up to the normal 95%, then down again, then up again, constantly. The picture freezes when bar is down, yet does not go blank.

Ryan told me to try the Coby TV----sure enough, a constant signal. But back to the Z/I, I still have this issue. I have 2 Z/I's, and both are acting this way.

What gives?

cd
    I have two Insignia boxes. Neither one of them does that. Yet.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Gotta be a WFLX issue---maybe not like the WTBY one, but an issue nonetheless.

I posted a while back about how WSVN 7-2 had no audio over the Z/I, but it played fine over the Coby. For a few weeks, WAMI 47-1 had no audio either, but I think the Coby played fine.

Miami's LD 44, now WLPH, running Retro TV*, has no audio over the Z/I either, but OK on the Coby. I e-mailed the owner in CA about it, and he said they will be working on the audio; so they are aware of a problem.

<Shrug.>

cd [*Retro hangs in there, despite Antenna/MeTV/Cozi usurping the good prints of classic TV; their "anchor" show is now Doctor Who.....also they were able to bag over 4000 episodes of the old soap "The Doctors" (no relation to the syndie program out now), running 2 eps a day weekdays. It features the old animated NBC Peacock at the beginning & the old NBC Snake logo at the end. Unfortunately the thing is a color kinescope, not video tape. Oh well.]

I've seen it happen, here... Mostly on the indoor (regular viewing) antennas.

Here's the deal... to my NW (the same direction the indoor antennas are aimed) are two sheds, with metal roofs, and a large barn, completely covered in metal. Sometimes, a piece of the sheet metal will come loose and flap in the breeze. When this happens the DTV signals can vary, wildly, as the sheet metal waves about. I suspect this is a multi-path issue (with the sheet metal acting as a reflector) that confuses the DTV receivers.

A couple of years ago the barn lost a large metal roof panel. After this happened I had a hard time getting a good signal out of WPSD 32/6 Paducah, KY (30 mi). Again, I suspect multi-path issues as, normally, WPSD is the elephant in the room. Once the missing metal panel was replaced all went back to normal with the DTVs.

Look around your neighborhood... How many metal surfaces do you see?

Another thing that can cause strange signal action...

http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.p...have-a-problem

... is cell site interference.

Look around your neighborhood... How many cell towers do you see?

I've seen light bulbs (usually when they're about to fail) oscillate at UHF frequencies and cause reception problems.

Look around your neighborhood... How many Christmas lights do you see?

As mentioned earlier in this thread, it just may be the TV station has things fouled up. Some of my locals have had problems getting things right.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Christmas lights makes sense! My display is kinda paltry every year, but the neighbors are pretty good with 'em!

WFLX was normal this morning, so I hope to check again tonight, to see.

No metal roof panels around here. There is, however, an AT&T tower across the highway from us.

Thanks, Ed.

Still dunno why the Coby isn't affected, except maybe it runs on a charge?

cd

Thread Information