Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote DTV DX Site

Steve, I've been keeping an eye on the RabbitEars map of stations that this logs, and the distances are incredible. The APRS map isn't even showing any good tropo, and yet you're still picking up the long-haul signals. It just goes to show that rural unobstructed areas are far superior for DXing... just like the time I did some FM Dxing in the Bahamas. It's amazing what you can hear when you're away from all the sources of interference and nothing is in the way.

I just ordered my receiver so I can get my DXing autologger.
    Andrew

My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

And all that with a 30ft tower. Danville proper sits in a broad basin, 30ft would probably only get me out of the basin and about 10 ft up.
    Daniel KC9HZN
    Danville, IL
    EN60

Grundig G3 (stock antenna)
    GigaWare HD Radio dongle
    Sony CRT TV, DigitalStream Converter Box, Terk HDTVa antenna
    Car radio (stock, no HD, no RDS)

Quote Originally Posted by kc9hzn View Post
    I see that WBXC-CD has turned on its digital signal. (It's been a tropo target of mine for a few years, the difficulty of receiving it is amplified by its history of going dark.) I had a dental appointment over in Champaign back in January, and I took a portable TV to see which of the Champaign LPTVs were still transmitting on analog. I found W34DL, which had been a TBN station at the time of the digital transition but was HSN as of last January. According to Wikipedia, WBXC-CA had been an America One affiliate, can you tell what it's running now?

Edit: Apparently, I misremembered what frequency it was on, it seems the HSN station is W39BH.
    I have received WBXC-CA 46 but I couldn't tell what was on the air. With the remote setup, I can visually monitor almost everything but what it sends out in audio and video. I've attached a screenshot of what I can see while DXing. This is a shot of KMOV, St. Louis, just over 200 miles, which has been in and out almost 24/7 (at least this week). It shows the RF channel, virtual channel number and subchannels, if any, along with signal strength and signal quality. I did notice earlier today that WBXC-CA has two subchannels in addition to its main channel, but none of them were labeled with channel info.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KMOV july 24 2015.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	241.7 KB 
ID:	17490

Quote Originally Posted by NN2E View Post
    "This morning's best catch so far has been WPSD 49/32, Paducah, KY @ 249 miles."

Steve... I'm guessing you either mean WPSD 32/6 with it's tx located at Monkey's Eyebrow, KY or WDKA 49 with it's tx near Vienna, IL. Maybe, you saw them both and just combined the info.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    Sorry......You are correct Ed. I received both WPSD and WDKA. I typed WPSD and added the channel info from WDKA. I hate typo errors.

Andrew, the DX location makes a HUGE difference. In just over four days since the autoscan setup was connected to Rabbitears, where all stations received by tuner 0 are logged (tuner 1 is the one operated manually so those do not get added to the scanned list), the setup has logged 131 stations. I manually logged two additional stations this morning, so the total I'm aware of is now at 133. I believe this new setup is working quite well.

The tropo just kept coming in this morning until early afternoon from as far away as Omaha, NE (443 miles), Kansas City, MO (386 miles) and Des Moines, IA (322 miles). I was using the remote setup for over 6 hours as the stations kept rolling in. The scanned channels are here http://www.rabbitears.info/tvdx/one_...019DEC0/tuner0

So WBXC-CD has a couple of subchannels, interesting. I suppose what I need to do is buy or borrow a portable ATSC (not necessarily ATSC-M/H) receiver and take it on a DXpedition to Champaign to figure out just what it's running. Better yet might be a laptop with a TV tuner, so I could run TSReader on it.
    Daniel KC9HZN
    Danville, IL
    EN60

Grundig G3 (stock antenna)
    GigaWare HD Radio dongle
    Sony CRT TV, DigitalStream Converter Box, Terk HDTVa antenna
    Car radio (stock, no HD, no RDS)

The new remote DTV DX site has now been running and connected to Rabbitears for one week. The autoscan tuner in the setup has so far received and logged 157 DTV stations. All were received via tropo, as no Es has been noted at the Illinois location. The best distance log to date has been KMEG 39/4, Sioux City, IA @ 471 miles.

New stations logged between last night and this morning included:

WHRM 24/20, Wausau, WI @ 315 miles
    WQOW 15/18, Eau Claire, WI @ 351 miles
    WSAW 7/7, Wausau, WI @ 315 miles
    WAOW 9/9, Wausau, WI @ 315 miles
    WHLA 30/31, La Crosse, WI @ 294 miles
    WEAU 38/13, Eau Claire, WI @ 328 miles

Steve, I'm enjoying your reports here and on WTFDA BB about the remote DX. I read your post yesterday on the BB about the
    lady turning the computer off. I'm glad the problem was nothing more serious than that.
    Danny
    Shreveport, LA
    Mexico/Latin America TV DX ID Tips http://www.tvdxtips.com
    Submit and read DTV Stats http://www.tvdxexpo.com/dtvdxrecords.html
    TV and DTV DX Photographs http://www.tvdxexpo.com
    My Photographs of 100 Mexico TV DX Local IDs http://www.tvdxexpo.com/100mexicotvids.html
    More than 1,100 TV logs since 1994

As of Thursday, May 5, Mike G. and I made a change with the UHF antenna setup at the Milford, IL remote DX site. I packed my Finco P-7 (7 ft. parabolic/dish) UHF antenna in a 10-ft. U-Haul truck and drove it 111 miles to the IL DX site. Unlike the Channel Master parabolic, which could be folded up, the Finco unit is not the same way. Once the P-7 is put together it is quite an ordeal to take it apart and then put it back together with all the various necessary parts. And because it is quite large, this was the smallest enclosed unit available to move it.

Once at the IL DX site, we lowered the 30-ft. tower and removed the horizontally stacked XG91s that had been in place since July 2015. From previous tests in the past few years, we feel that the P-7 will provide a little better signal for DXing. We will see if this pans out over the next few weeks and months.

I've attached some pics, including one of the P-7 in the truck and then some pics of the P-7 mounted on the tower. We left three feet of extra mast above the P-7 for future use, instead of cutting it off. The center of the P-7 antenna is at 35 ft. AGL. In making the changes, the Antennacraft CS-1100 VHF antenna was lowered slightly, from 32 ft. to 29.5 ft. AGL. The separation between the two antennas is 2.5 ft. Also, we recently moved the Yaesu rotor from the top of the tower to inside the tower by mounting it on a rotor plate. This provides more protection for the rotor and better stability for the mast.

Mike took his Sencore FS-74a field strength meter and checked a few DTV stations prior to us taking the stacked Yagis down. Then he checked the same stations after we switched to the Finco P-7 antenna. At virtually the same height on the tower, local WICD 41/15, Champaign, IL @ 42 miles jumped up 6 dB in signal strength with the P-7 over the Yagi stack and another local, WCCU 26/27, Urbana, IL @ 28 miles jumped a whole 9 dB in signal strength over the Yagi stack. We were both quite amazed at the difference with these two "local" stations. Mike attempted to compare signal strengths with other somewhat local stations between 57 and 80 miles but the signals in the afternoon were quite unstable and jumping around a lot. It was difficult to come up with any convincing conclusions with these stations. It will take a little time to see how real distant DX compares between the two different UHF antenna setups.

Thanks again to Mike G. for engineering and setting up this wonderful remote DTV site and allowing me to control it from my house in Indy or from anywhere with my iPhone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uhaul truck may 2016.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	345.5 KB 
ID:	18743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mounting P7 may 5 2016.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	524.7 KB 
ID:	18714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7 ready to go may 5 2016.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	18744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7 up may 5 2016.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	18745
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7 ready to go may 5 2016.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	18715   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7 in UHaul truck may 5 2016.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	337.2 KB 
ID:	18716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7 up may 5 2016.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	18717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7 installed may 5 2016.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	18723  
    Last edited by indysteve; 05-13-2016 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Reloaded pictures, hopefully in the right position.

I originally commented here about how to rotate the pictures from an iPhone, but we learned its a Firefox thing. So I just learned something else about Firefox, which is the browser I am using for internet. IF you click on one of the pictures that is tilted, it opens the view window with the picture tilted. BUT - when I RIGHT click on the image and the properties box comes up, I tell it to VIEW IMAGE, it displays the picture CORRECTLY DISPLAYED! Go figure!!
    Last edited by Jim Thomas; 05-13-2016 at 02:18 PM. Reason: More information became available
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Thread Information