This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeLorenzo's Classic DX

HCFA2-540 Radio Tropicana, Guayaquil, Ecuador - What an amazing ID including call letters, frequency, slogan, city, country and continent! Heard on February 12, 1979 at 0700 UTC from West Yarmouth, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Receiver was Hammurlund HQ-100 with SM-1 Space Magnet antenna.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MidCapeMarc; 10-05-2012, 04:24 PM.

Radio Mundial-860 Rio de Janeiro

Note the ID (or slogan) "Mundial" (MOON-dee-ow) at 40 seconds into the clip. Again heard from West Yarmouth, MA on December 4, 1978 at 0635 UTC using HQ-100 and SM-1. Another amazing signal. In the 41 years since I have not heard ANY station from Brazil as loud as this.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MidCapeMarc; 05-05-2020, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Saudi Arabia-1521

Although approximately 6,000 miles from most points in the Northeastern U.S., the 2 megawatt SBA transmitter from Duba is one of the easiest Medium Wave Trans Atlantics (TA's.) The best time to get them is around local sunset before 50kw WWKB-1520 in Buffalo becomes too strong. This reception was made on October 12, 2004 at 2300 UTC from South Dennis, Mass. using a JRC NRD-525 receiver and 140 foot broadband loop antenna. There is a top-of-hour ID after the time pips. At 6 seconds after the last pip, you can clearly hear "Ahr-uh-BEE-yuh Sah-ooo-DEE-yuh" (Arabia Saudi).
      Attached Files
      Last edited by MidCapeMarc; 05-05-2020, 12:13 PM.

Comment

HJBL-1160 R. Aeropuerto, Barranquilla, Colombia

Although not nearly as distant as Paraguay or Brazil, I've always enjoyed this audio clip of HJBL-1160 because of the detailed ID (including call letters - "Ah-chay Hoe-tuh Bay El-ay") and interesting choice of background music which, I believe, is from George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue." Again, this reception was made from West Yarmouth, MA using the HQ-100 and SM-1. The date was January 29, 1979 at the stations' 0455 UTC signoff.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by MidCapeMarc; 07-27-2012, 06:12 PM.

Comment

KXBT-1630 Vallejo, California

Although coast to coast MW reception has become quite rare, in the early days of the X-Band it was still possible. In 1996 and 1997, the only US station operating on 1630 kHz was KXBT in Vallejo, CA. They of course later moved to 1640 kHz and changed call letters and formats a couple of times. Here are two audio clips of KXBT-1630 from November of 1996 and 1997 respectively as received at my shack in Auburndale (Newton) Mass. Receiver was the JRC NRD-525 and antenna was the Quantum Loop.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MidCapeMarc; 07-27-2012, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Radio Turks & Caicos-1550

Years before Turks & Caicos became such an easy catch on 530 kHz, this was a rarely heard country. On February 28, 1979 during severe Auroral conditions, I stumbled onto a weak signal in English all alone on 1550 kHz. I was rewarded at 2322 UTC with an ID from Radio Turks & Caicos. It was later reported in DX NEWS that this was probably the first known reception of this station in North America. Once again, the location was West Yarmouth, Mass. and the equipment was the HQ-100 receiver and SM-1 antenna.

Moral of the story: To get rare DX, you do not necessarily need high-priced equipment and acres of land for antennas. What you do need is a good location and the combination of skill and luck to be in the right place at the right time.

Update 2012: Turks & Caicos has now become a rare country again. The 530 transmitter and tower were decimated by 2 hurricanes and there are now two Cuban stations occupying the 530 frequency.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by MidCapeMarc; 07-29-2012, 01:21 PM. Reason: 530 kHz station decimated by 2 hurricanes and replaced by Cuban stations.

Comment

Radio Globo-1100 Sao Paulo, Brazil

In mid to late May of 2005, this station was widely heard by DXers in Eastern US and I was one of the lucky ones. Rocco Cotroneo in Brazil was kind enough to provide translation of this clip. It was a soccer match between Palmeiras and Sao Paulo and the score was 0-0. The announcer shouts Globo at 5 seconds and again at :12. Due to Auroral conditions, there was no trace of usual dominant WTAM-1100 Cleveland. Reception made from South Dennis at 0053 UTC on May 19, 2005 using the NRD-525 and noise-reduced longwire.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by MidCapeMarc; 07-29-2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Faroe Islands-531

In late January 2009, there was an unusual opening to Northern Europe. One rarely heard station (and country!) heard here on Cape Cod almost daily between January 22 and January 31 was Kringvarp Foroya Utvarpid-531 kHz from Akraberg in the Faroe Islands. The Faroe Islands are located north of Scotland between Norway and Iceland and belong to Denmark. Here are 2 clips from that time period, both received with the JRC NRD-525 and Conti Super Loop antenna. The first clip, recorded on January 22 at 2100 UTC - 4:00 pm local time - is amazingly loud & clear and includes the top-of-hour announcement. We're not sure if there is a station ID but the reception was confirmed by the language, Faroese, by several Scandanavian DXers via the Real DX Group. The second clip was also recorded on January 22, 5 minutes earlier at 2155 UTC. As I mentioned earlier, this reception "window" lasted for 10 days. Who knows when the window will open again.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by MidCapeMarc; 05-05-2020, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Update: Much to my surprise, the window to the Faroe Islands had reopened by Sept 20, 2009 and possibly before. Heard here most nights from Sept 20 through this writing (Oct 8) although not nearly as loud and clear as last January. A fourth TA has now entered the Faroes/Spain/Algeria mix - I suspect Iran but have not yet been able to confirm it. 531 is one of my favorite TA channels. Very little adjacent channel splatter and no IBOC hiss!
                  Last edited by MidCapeMarc; 10-09-2012, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Kaliningrad-1215

The 1.2 megawatt transmiiter at Bolshakovo, Kaliningrad was heard relaying The Voice of Russia World Service on October 30, 2010 at 2207 UTC. Check out the nice ID in English. Heard from South Dennis, Mass using the JRC NRD-525 receiver and new East/West Delta antenna. Fellow DXer Chris Black from South Yarmouth helped me put up the Delta after my Super Loop was blown down by Hurrican Earl in September 2010. The Vertical section of the Delta is about 90 feet long and the horizontal section is about 60 feet. It is located in the woods about 50 feet behind my house.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by MidCapeMarc; 10-04-2013, 11:04 AM.

Comment

ZP19-645 Radio Caaguazu, Coronel Oviedo, Paraguay

Radio Caaguazu-645 Coronel Oviedo, Paraguay was heard on February 19, 1979 at 0836 UTC. Again, reception was from West Yarmouth, MA using the trusty, if not flashy, combination of HQ-100 receiver and Space Magnet antenna. I was unemployed that winter and thus had lots of time to DX
                      Attached Files

Comment

YNOW-540 Radio Corporacion, Managua, Nicaragua

R. Corporacion-540 Nicaragua heard on February 13, 1979 at 0535 UTC. Same location and equipment as above: West Yarmouth, Mass with HQ-100 receiver and Space Magnet antenna. ID at 5 seconds folowed by intro of a Julio Iglesias tune.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X