No announcement yet.

MW DX from Enid OK by Glenn Hauser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You must have meant, ``there are no letters that *are* "foreign" letters.

I can hardly quibble with the RAE, but I was speaking traditionally, when K and W were, if not foreign, the ``least native`` letters. DEG may find exceptions, but in general you would not find them in real Castilian words --- now they have to accept them with so many foreign proper names, borrowed words and abominations like ``ke buena`` just to be cute or distinctive. As for Y, if it is pure Spanish, why call it Greek Y? (BTW cursive Y in Greek is gamma -- should that be Greek upsilon?). Yes, it helps to make it ``ye``. No matter how you pronounce it in Spanish, or English, W is cumbersome from two to four syllables.

It is hardly necessary to point out that all these letters are used in Mexican and other callsigns. I would still like to hear WKY go all-in as ``doble-u ka i-griega``.

73, Guillermo Glenn Hauser

Comment

• Originally posted by Glen Hauser View Post
      You must have meant, ``there are no letters that *are* "foreign" letters.

I can hardly quibble with the RAE, but I was speaking traditionally, when K and W were, if not foreign, the ``least native`` letters. DEG may find exceptions, but in general you would not find them in real Castilian words --- now they have to accept them with so many foreign proper names, borrowed words and abominations like ``ke buena`` just to be cute or distinctive. As for Y, if it is pure Spanish, why call it Greek Y? (BTW cursive Y in Greek is gamma -- should that be Greek upsilon?). Yes, it helps to make it ``ye``. No matter how you pronounce it in Spanish, or English, W is cumbersome from two to four syllables.

It is hardly necessary to point out that all these letters are used in Mexican and other callsigns. I would still like to hear WKY go all-in as ``doble-u ka i-griega``.

73, Guillermo Glenn Hauser
      The regulators of the Spanish language in Spain (which is not to say that they have total sway elsewhere) had a forced epiphany as computers started taking over data processing.

Called "sorters" in the Spanish of Spain ("ordenador"), computers did not sort so well on compound letters like Ch, Ll, and Rr. On the other hand, they found way too many "W" and "K" characters, many introduced by words adopted into the language or from names and last names that contained them. In Spain, common names like "Iñaki" had to be dealt with even if they were Basque or Catalan in origin.

So the insistence in alphabetizing, and, of course, sorting, based on those complex characters was gradually replaced by the use of a more standardized alphabet that included "k" and "w" as well as "ñ".

But the use of "W" and "K" goes much farther back, with a good example being Juan Mackenna, one of the liberators of Chile back over 200 years!

And given names names like Karl and Washington go back at least 100 years in many countries, furthering the total familiarity and ease with the usage of W and K.

Comment

• When the Real Academia Española is involved, you know it's gonna get thorny.

Foreign letters have carried some cachet to them in certain contexts — they are cool and hip. The use of English outside the English-speaking world is often associated with premium products and services.

But I also think it worth noting that there are also a lot of indigenous languages in the Spanish-speaking world that make extensive use of W and K, alongside other letters.

This leads to names of places (Tunkás, Yucatán), people, organizations (Ojtakuarhu, A.C. —*XHCHIL-FM), station calls (XHBAK-FM, which was initially owned by Comunicación Educativa y Cultural Bats'il K'op, A.C.) and names (Radio Educación Señal Kukulkán) and entire peoples (Wixárika) that include these letters. And that's just Mexico.

(Some indigenous languages also include unusual diphthongs, accented variants of Latin letters like ï, and even ' as letters in their written languages.)
        Follow En Frecuencia on Medium and Twitter @EnFrecuencia, your Mexican broadcasting blog.

The Reference Section features the HD Radio map, list of Article 90 reserved band clears, and more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raymie View Post
          When the Real Academia Española is involved, you know it's gonna get thorny.

Foreign letters have carried some cachet to them in certain contexts — they are cool and hip. The use of English outside the English-speaking world is often associated with premium products and services.

But I also think it worth noting that there are also a lot of indigenous languages in the Spanish-speaking world that make extensive use of W and K, alongside other letters.

This leads to names of places (Tunkás, Yucatán), people, organizations (Ojtakuarhu, A.C. —*XHCHIL-FM), station calls (XHBAK-FM, which was initially owned by Comunicación Educativa y Cultural Bats'il K'op, A.C.) and names (Radio Educación Señal Kukulkán) and entire peoples (Wixárika) that include these letters. And that's just Mexico.

(Some indigenous languages also include unusual diphthongs, accented variants of Latin letters like ï, and even ' as letters in their written languages.)
          Of course, the indigenous languages often had no written form or, in many cases, had pictograms rather than letters. Spelling in the European language of the area was adapted to the sounds as opposed to any written representation in a European type of alphabet.

Over the years, spelling have changed... much as the reforms in the way Chinese is written in "our" Western alphabet. "Quechua" in Ecuador is now properly spelled "Kechua"... although the spoken language has not changed other than assimilating the usual assortment of technical and contemporary terms. One of my stations in Quito ran programming in Quechua and it was interesting how many terms from that language were part of everyday Ecuadorian Spanish.

The RAE, like any "maximum authority", tends to be resistant to rapid change, but in the last few decades it has been much faster in accepting usages as well as being less parochial about "Americanisms" from the nations of Latin America. They still are rather sticky about Anglicisms, whether British or from the US but that is more nationalism than protection of the language, I think.

Comment

• Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, April 1-14, 2019

All times and dates strictly UT!

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna
            only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S
            inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S;
            Nissan stock caradio as specified;
            IC-R75 with E-W longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily
            all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also
            VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham,
            which may be found in several archives
            without much delay, such as
            http://www.hard-core-dx.com/index.php?topic=Hauser

And compiled weekly along with
            extensive news from many other
            individuals and
            publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST:
            http://www.worldofradio.com/dxldmid.html

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011
            are archived in this forum with open access:
            http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.p...-Hauser/page76
            [over 348,000 views! as of April 14, 2019]

UNIDENTIFIED. 1380, April 14 at 1245 UT, blinds.com ad by Dennis
            Prager. Unlike 1390 with a jumble of weak signals in the absence of
            local KCRC, adjacent 1380 without any splash has good talk signal. So
            I try to find a station list for Prager, but no such thing; instead
            you have to e-mail him with location and he will answer with
            suggestions! https://www.dennisprager.com/find-a-station/

Checking the listings, most likely KXFN St Louis The Answer but `Best
            of Prager` is not scheduled until 15-16 UT, while before 13 UT it`s
            `Townhall Review` which could still contain such a commercial.
            https://theanswerstl.com/programguid...y&timeFilter=0
            Prager`s home station is another `The Answer` somewhere (Glenn Hauser,
            OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Enid is just beyond the edge of the big storms to the
            south and east, so it`s quite a surprise when the OG&E power goes off
            sharp at 2030 UT April 13. Unfortunately I don`t have battery power
            set up for the R75, and tho the line noise level should be down, there
            is still storm noise. So to accomplish something, we go shopping to
            another part of town with power. During which I bandscan caradio and
            find the outage goes far beyond our neighborhood:

Dead air from KNID and the other Chisholm Trail stations on 107.1,
            106.3, 97.7 and 95.7. Also 1390 KCRC. This means the FM transmitter
            sites still have power but not the studio on Willow next to the three
            AM towers. The FMs had resumed modulating by 2240 check.

These are off the air completely: the two LPFMs on 94.3 and 99.9 which
            are on the same minitower. Other local AM & FM signals continue
            unscathed. 94.3 carrier back on by 2240 but not 99.9.

We later hear that the power resumed at least in some parts at 2149.
            But guess what, 1390 KCRC never comes back! Suffered some damage, or
            AM appendage overlooked to restart?

Since KCRC was 24h NSP, very strong and also with spurs near 1330,
            1360, 1420, 1450, this is a rare chance to DX something else at least
            on 1390. Nothing audible under daytime conditions, and near sunset
            just a graveyard-like jumble. Not until 0558 UT April 13 do I make a
            serious effort to DX 1390, but there are still no dominant signals.
            This is really to be expected as all the nearest 1390s in adjacent,
            even second-adjacent states run quite low power at night. For
            instance, KFFK Rogers AR is only 30 watts. KGNU Denver 139 watts. KNCK
            Concordia KS 54 watts. KJPW Waynesville MO 111 watts. KHOB Hobbs NM
            500 watts. KULP El Campo TX 500 watts. KBEC Waxahachie TX 260 watts.

I`m trying both on the DX-398 for DFing, and on the R75 for better
            gain on the E-W longwire. Slightly above the jumble at 0558 UT is C&W
            looping NW/SE; 0600 news from same? 0602 back to music. At 0605 I
            think I *may* hear a WROA ID in passing, but I already know that
            Gulfport MS is a possibility with its 5/5 kW U4 and NOStalgia format.

Awake at 1225 UT after sunrise, maybe still some SRS? C&W looping E/W.
            at 1233 UT mentions ``1390`` amid C&W; 1253 UT now a station with
            financial talk by M with W sidekickess; 1258 UT fade-out. 1300 UT a
            ToH ID I just cannot copy but then can recognize Fox ``news`` sounder;
            now that`s a useless clue! Give up while KCRC still remains silent
            past 1800 UT April 14. All very frustrating. Maybe there will be
            further chances (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1600, April 10 at 1933 UT, searching for some rare music
            on the AM band, ``1600, The Cush, and 1600kush.com``, i.e. KUSH in oil
            terminal Cushing OK, east of Stillwater. Cush is pronounced like in
            cushion; then C&W or nostalgia, or ``Americana``.

[and non] This reminds me to enumerate the few stations around here on
            daytime/groundwave listenable primarily with music, not including
            foreign language, gospel huxters: 780 KSPI, 860 KKOW, 900 KSGL (split
            with gospel huxters mornings), 1070v KFTI, 1280 KSOK, 1600 KUSH.
            Everything else is talk or sportstalk (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX
            LISTENING DIGEST)

Until the next, Best of DX and 73 de Glenn

Comment

• Mostly Mexican MWDX to Enid OK, March 16-April 26, 2019

all-band reports, mainly SWBC,
              also VHF/UHF, sometimes utility, ham,
              which may be found in several
              archives without much delay, such as

individuals and publications in DX
              LISTENING DIGEST:

All my MW DX reports starting August
              2011 are archived in this forum with
              open access:
              [over 350,000 views! as of April 26, 2019]

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly
              DX-398 with internal antenna
              inside E-W or inside
              randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio
              as specified; ICR-75 with 100-foot E-W longwire.

** MEXICO. 650, April 25 at 1155, 10 minutes after Enid sunrise,
              Mexican music and Spanish, fast SAH, presumed the usual SRS dominator
              XETNT, Los Mochis, Sinaloa. Faded by 1200. However, next morning, see
              below:

On April 26 pre-sunrise I tune the lowband for Mexicans still
              propagating:

540, April 26 at 1126, potosina ads, i.e. XEWA SLP (I was also hearing
              it after 0500 NA with ``Los Cuarenta`` slogan.). Nulling this at 1126,
              I have another Mexican, no doubt XETX Chihuahua which typically
              dominates a bit later.

550, April 26 at 1127, Mexican music loops WSW, which would be XEPL,
              Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua, the only N/W Mexican, dominating for now before
              KFRM overtakes.

650, April 26 at 1128, NO signals at all on 650, nor any XE on 610,
              sibling station to XETNT, XEGS Guasave, Sinaloa. Strange, and
              wondering if these too are giving up on MW. Both are supposed to be
              24h per 2018 IRCA Mexican Log.

710, April 26 at 1136, ``primera edición`` of newscast from BM Radio,
              i.e. XEDP, Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua; not off-frequency this time. 1151
              news of marijuana bust in Delicias, citing grams, then mentions
              Oclajoma!

800, April 26 at 1128, ad for Laboratorios Camacho from Los Ángeles,
              i.e. one of the major advertisers on XEROK Juárez; with KQCV OKC
              easily nulled. But a few minutes later XEROK has vanished, and is
              normally inaudible at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Pacific JBA MW carrier search, March 21 at 1236-
              1245: 594, 774-NW & WSW, 828-NW, 882-WSW, 972-NW, 1098-W, 1422-NW,
              1548-WSW, 1566-NW. Very likely sources of all these from Australia,
              Pacific and East Asia should be obvious. Should have started earlier
              before LSR 1234 UT, while I was trying to get back to sleep, but
              finally upgave and intuned (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Pacific JBA MW carrier search, April 25 at 1146-
              1152 as I happen to awaken just at LSR 1145: 864, 882, 1035, 1548,
              792, but by far the strongest is 1098 from west, the all-night open
              carrier from V7AB, Marshall Islands. The others are too weak for a
              definite DF, but probably from WSW = S Pacific rather than NW = E Asia
              (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Pacific JBA MW carrier search, April 26 at 1138:
              702, 837-WSW with two beating, 1098, 774 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
              LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 2097.3-CW, March 24 at 0310, beacon A clearly audible, one
              Morse letter every dekasecond. Based on some references, we have been
              attributing this to Quartzsite AZ, but Steve McGreevy in the Mojave
              says it definitely is not, unknown exactly where but in Q. only a
              skywave signal is received (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** COSTA RICA [and non]. 2859.812, March 21 at 1153, JBA carrier,
              suspected the known active second harmonic of 1430, Radio San Carlos,
              as IDed recently by Jay Novello, NC, but without a precise
              measurement. In *2017y* I reported:

``COSTA RICA. 2859.82, Jan 18 at 0049, JBA carrier on the signature
              off-frequency of R. San Carlos, Ciudad Quesada, 2 x 1430v as
              previously identified``.

Now at 1155 I have no signal on 2940+, indicating that harmonic is
              considerably east from here even tho our sunrise is not until 1234;
              and a carrier on 2960 as if Mobile 1480 x 2 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
              LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2940.132, March 25 at 0609, trace of modulation, vs
              staticrashes, second harmonic of something on 2940.066v. I`ve already
              mentioned the likeliest, but no reports received from anyone who can
              ID it for sure, and the spring storm season is no help (Glenn Hauser,
              OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2940.14, March 28 at 0540, harmonic with the most
              modulation yet but still too weak, seems YL talking but can`t tell
              language. At 0548 an OM instead. Have been presuming it`s 2 x
              1470.07v, but since 2+9+4 = 15, a multiple of 3, this could also be a
              third harmonic of 980+.
              http://mwlist.org/mwoffset.php?khz=980
              shows a few remote possibilities (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
              DIGEST)

** COLOMBIA. 2940+, re my several recent logs of an harmonic here,
              many tnx to Brett Saylor who has definitely IDed it as the same one
              which was being heard a few years ago:

``Hi Glenn, Regarding the reports of a station on 2940.x, I heard HJNT
              Huellas Radio, Cali, Colombia on approx. 2940.11 kHz (2 x 1470.x) with
              impassioned Spanish preacher at 1030 UT on 2 April 2019 on my Perseus
              SDR and south 16' x 36' Wellbrook broadband loop; confirmed this was
              HJNT via comparison with the TWR kiwiSDR in Bonaire and the station's
              own web stream at http://www.radios.com.co/huellas/ --- Best 73, Brett
              Saylor W3SWL, State College, PA``

Huella means footprint, or vestige, apropos for harmonic, unlikely
              chosen deliberately! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** COLOMBIA. 2940.132, April 23 at 0556 UT, music detectable on ~S9
              signal better than usual, but storm noise level peaks S9+20. Of
              course, it`s HJNT, Radio Huellas, Cali, long-running second harmonic
              of 1470.066 as already identified elsewhere, but I would still like to
              hear an ID, myself (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Comment

• XETNT should never have stayed on past a year; it was not the Mochis station with a continuity obligation. (That would be 540 XEHS-AM, on the air for the benefit of 27,552 people.)

On the other hand, XEGS is continuity obligated. More than 21,000 people depend on it for their only radio service.

Most continuity obligation stations are on low frequencies.

There's still the chance, of course, someone wants to run a social AM radio station and assumes the continuity obligation. That's happening with XEEJ Puerto Vallarta, which will soon yield to a new station XECSBK on 650. Other frequencies that are part of continuity obligations are being advertised the same way.
                Follow En Frecuencia on Medium and Twitter @EnFrecuencia, your Mexican broadcasting blog.

The Reference Section features the HD Radio map, list of Article 90 reserved band clears, and more.

Comment

• Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, April 15-28, 2019

individuals and

[over 350,000 views! as of April 28, 2019]

890, April 26 at 1133 UT, with KTLR OKC nulled,
                  ``Escúchenos, la nueva radio cristiana``, i.e. KVOZ; searching on that
                  slogan leads to two of my own logs in 2011 & 2012, so it`s hardly new!
                  NRC AM Log shows CoL as Del Mar Hills, with address in McAllen, so a
                  suburb of that? NO. Del Mar Hills is not to be found even in the
                  large-scale Rand McNally road atlas. Radio-locator shows it`s Laredo:
                  https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pa...service=AM&h=D

1060, April 19 at 0504 UT on the R75 with E-W longwire,
                  Mexican music, not so eclectic as to be expected from XEEP CDMX but
                  the SW 6185 is already off. Switching to the DX-398 for DFing at 0544
                  UT, now it`s WSW/ENE so that rules out XEEP and points to KIJN Farwell
                  TX; now I am suspecting the songs are of praise, especially with
                  keywords Vida, Viva, Santo and Gloria.

Trouble is, KIJN is a 10-kW direxional daytimer! But it`s well-known
                  as a longtime cheater running at night, In Jesus` Name -- WWJD? SS but
                  not religious beyond in almost same direxion is KXPL El Paso TX,
                  another 10 kW daytimer ND, but not such a cheater. There are other USA
                  SS on 1060 in NRC AM Log, none of them likely here and none religious,
                  in CA, NV, NC, NC.

More on 1390 KCRC Enid: in original report I did not make
                  clear that it was totally off the air from 2030 UT April 13, rather
                  than open carrier like its related FM stations.

Shortly after filing that report, I find 1390 finally back on by 19 UT
                  April 14, after some 22.5 hours of silence; could it be they were
                  working on getting rid of the spurs? Ha! I am no longer hearing them
                  at 2235 UT, 1360 clear for KPHN El Dorado KS with EWTN, and 1420 for
                  KTJS Hobart OK, except now there is expanded splatter from 1390 even
                  beyond that +/- 30 kHz range. Rather I think KCRC had to switch to a
                  backup transmitter with different deficiencies.

April 15 at 1412 UT check, still no spurs circa 1360 & 1420, but the
                  splatter continues, obscuring 1410 Wichita which never suffered this
                  KCRC problem before.

1390, April 16 around 1830 UT, as I drive around north
                  side of Enid, it`s clear that the reactivated KCRC has an expanded
                  radius of desensitization as far as my caradio is concerned. Now I
                  can`t hear 1410 KGSO Wichita --- not that I should ever want to with
                  stupid ESPN sports talk! This close to KCRC`s 3 towers, desens extends
                  further but hard to evaluate its edges. This suggests that present
                  transmitter is running more than 1 kW and/or is broaderband. Still no
                  spurs on 1420 or 1360 but those OK & KS stations also inaudible; plus
                  the splatter out of 1390. Even at my home QTH further away, 1410 is
                  just starting to break thru, unlike with the old KCRC transmitter.

1420, April 19 at 0550 UT, super-hype voice actors (SHVA) in
                  Spanish with promos or ads, Mexican music, 0557 automated TC for 12,
                  56 = CDT. Something (else?) here in the mix is enough off-frequency to
                  produce a LAH. I am enjoying the perhaps temporary absence of loud
                  local KCRC Enid spur on 1420v, while on alternate transmitter
                  following power outage/surge?

Cannot copy ID at 0601 UT other than FM frequency 103.3 or 106.3.
                  Loops NW/SE so that rules out Mexico. No Coloradans on 1420, but the
                  closest likely is KBHS Hot Springs AR, more like ESE, in NRC AM Log as
                  U1 5000/87 watts, SS but its La Zeta FM as 105.5. Has there been a
                  change? Bingo! in the WTFDA FM Database:

``K292HG KBHS-1420 106.3 HOT SPRINGS AR USA 0.25 0.25 0.0 0.0 34-27-19
                  93-03-26 Silent //KZNG 1340. KBHS is silent`` -- silent no more.

Altho there could have been a format flip since it went to press 8+
                  months ago (and now sold out), NRC AM Log has only other SS on 1420 in
                  FL, FL, ID, none likelier here.

1630, April 19 at 0605 UT, Mexican music loops NNW/SSE,
                  mutually nullable with KCJJ Iowa, making a medium SAH. The only such
                  Unitedstatesian is KRND, Fox Farm WY to the NW, confirmed by 0610 UT
                  with its known identity ``La Jota Mexicana`` IDs in passing.

But where is my closest 1630, KKGM Fort Worth TX? No sign of it in the
                  mix, off? It`s a gospel huxter in English, with a lot of music. I am
                  hearing such a format at 1323 UT recheck. Always helpful to tune LSB
                  to minimize local 1640 KZLS, especially on the way to FTW, and
                  oppositely to Fox Farm.

Fox Farm cannot be found on the regular Rand McNally atlas, and not
                  even on the 2013 large-scale version, nor in their indices! (There is a
                  Foxpark, SW of Laramie). Thus I am forced to seek its location online.
                  Fox Farm is a suburb of Cheyenne. Yet KRND address, per NRC AM Log,
                  is way off in Broomfield CO, between Boulder and Denver! Studio?

Comment

• Mostly Mexican MWDX to Enid OK, April 27-29, 2019

LISTENING DIGEST:

open access:
                    [over 350,000 views! as of April 26, 2019]

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx:
                    mostly
                    DX-398 with internal antenna
                    inside E-W or inside
                    randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio
                    as specified; ICR-75 with 100-foot E-W
                    longwire.

** MEXICO. 540, April 29 at 1129 UT, Mexican NA from WSW, different
                    version choral with band and heavy drumming, and an odd time for it
                    too, perhaps its sign-on. 1130 no ID but immediate prayer to Jehová,
                    YL solo hymn? to mi ciudad, finally 1135 full ID for XETX, La Ranchera
                    de Paquimé, street address in Nuevo Casas Grandes, Chihuahua, also FM
                    90.5, Grupo BM Radio, another informal slogan preceded by ``La Mera
                    Mera ---`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 570, April 29 at 1102 UT, choral multiverse NA from SSW,
                    until 1105 fades for ID but Monterrey mentioned, i.e. XEBJB (Glenn
                    Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 580, April 29 at 1100 UT, M&W newscast including F and C
                    weather for the frontera, Piedras Negras; holding its own against
                    opposite WIBW Topeka, making 63/minute SAH = 1.05 Hz. Obviously
                    ``XEMU``, new legal call of which is XELRDA standing for La Ranchera
                    Del Aire (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 610, April 29 at 1104 UT, Coahuila mentioned, Grupo M(?)
                    Radio. I would assume XEBX Sabinas, but it`s thought to have moved to
                    FM 105.9 with 610 deleted from WRTH 2019. http://www.radioxebx.com/ is
                    merely under construxion as ``La Primera`` on 105.9 AND 610. There has
                    been a CP for another Coahuilan on 610, XESORN in Saltillo to replace
                    XESAC which is definitely gone. Must monitor 610 again closely (Glenn

** MEXICO. 650, April 29 at 1100 UT, no signal yet, but recheck 1108,
                    now Mexican music from southwest and 1111 `Buenos Días, Yarderos`,
                    well-known wakeup show from XETNT, Radio 65 altho neither call nor
                    slogan heard today. DJ mixes in plugs for local mercados in Los
                    Mochis, Sinaloa; 1137 greeting listeners by name still in BDY show.
                    Still no sign of sibling station XEGS Guasave, altho more QRM on 610
                    from KCSP, and Coahuila earlier. At ToH 1200 the two used to join for
                    newscast, too late now.

So XETNT is definitely still on AM. Replying April 26 to my previous
                    non-log, Raymie Humbert in AZ on the WTFDA Forum:

``XETNT should never have stayed on past a year; it was not the Mochis
                    station with a continuity obligation. (That would be 540 XEHS-AM, on
                    the air for the benefit of 27,552 people.) On the other hand, XEGS is
                    continuity obligated. More than 21,000 people depend on it for their
                    only radio service. Most continuity obligation stations are on low
                    frequencies. There's still the chance, of course, someone wants to run
                    a social AM radio station and assumes the continuity obligation.
                    That's happening with XEEJ Puerto Vallarta, which will soon yield to a
                    new station XECSBK on 650. Other frequencies that are part of
                    continuity obligations are being advertised the same way.`` (Glenn

** MEXICO. 710, April 29 at 1113 UT, gravelly Low-German preacher, his
                    home on XEDP Ciudad Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua, not off-frequency today; by
                    1138 back to Spanish with regional weather, 5:39 TC, plugs its
                    whatsapp link, details of a fatal DUI --- conduciendo borracho?
                    traffic accident (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 780v, April 29 at 1116 UT, semi-local KSPI Stillwater music
                    carefully nulled, for Spanish producing low audible heterodyne (but
                    not as bad as 740 KRMG torn up by XEQN Torreón), mentions Monclova,
                    ads, something on carretera 30 which runs roughly between Monclova and
                    Torreón, and CCI from another XE, 1118 fade-out. So it`s XEWGR in
                    Monclova (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 820, April 29 at 1141 UT, slow SAH against WBAP nulled for
                    ``Canal 800-20, ABC Radio`` IDs between guitar songs, again at 1143 by
                    when it`s dominating WBAP, i.e. XEABCA, Mexicali BCN. No storm noise
                    on band this morning, the lightning having migrated from KS last night
                    to the dayside in MO; also a storm around Yuma, but not bothering this
                    station (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Pacific JBA MW carrier search, April 29 at 1121-
                    1128 UT, before LSR of 1141 here:: 774, 756-WSW, 747, 702-WSW(2), 675
                    -WSW, 657-WSW, 612-WSW, 846-WSW, 882-WSW(2), 1035-WSW, 1098-W. The
                    ones without a DF I could not be sure of maybe both WSW and NW (Glenn

Comment

• The Grupo M station is XESORN, which went on the air late last year. XHBX-FM is owned by GRD, not Grupo M. The signal you received was XESORN.

Comment

• Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, April 29-May 12, 2019

individuals and

All my MW DX reports starting August2011
                        [over 352,000 views! as of May 12, 2019]

** OKLAHOMA. 800, May 8 at 1110 UT, KQCV OKC is off the air! So no
                        need to null it for XEROK. By 1132 recheck, KQCV is back on with some
                        ministry plugging an African cruise (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING
                        DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 930, April 29 at 1145-1148 UT, WKY in a promotional loop
                        with slight variations, slogans by YL such as ``La casa de deportes en
                        Oklahoma City`` (or would that be ``caza``?) also plugging ESPN,
                        Oklahoma City Thunder, call letters always in English, mixed with SFX,
                        yelling (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1130, May 4 at 2055 UT, KLEY Wellington KS is off the air
                        again; first noted absent May 3 circa 2345 UT, much pre-sunset. Before
                        then had not noticed any transmission problems (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
                        LISTENING DIGEST)

Comment

• Mostly Mexican MWDX to Enid OK, April 30-May 12, 2019

LISTENING DIGEST:

open access:
                          [over 352,000 views! as of May 12, 2019]

mostly DX-398 with internal antenna
                          inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio
                          as specified; ICR-75 with 100-foot E-W longwire.

** MEXICO. 570, May 2 at 1105, dominant signal is Spanish from the
                          south, religious program, YL with American accent mentions ``Bible
                          church``, OM with not, plugging a bunch of meetings/revivals? with
                          specific home addresses in San Antonio TX, Salinas, El Centro and
                          several other places in California, from one evening to the next from
                          April 26? to May 5. By 1122 predicating with frequent keyword
                          ``restauración`` à la previous owner of KVOH. Wondered if KLIF had
                          gone the way of KEXB, flipped to partial Spanish gospel huxtering, but
                          think it better-just-be XEBJB Monterrey NL, which despite a ``regional
                          mexicana`` music format is a.k.a., ``Nueva Vida`` which of course
                          connotes religion, at least at this daypart.

Raymie Humbert recently compiled a list of stations with religious
                          concessions, but not including XEBJB; in Monterrey on AM, only 1140
                          XEMR; see DXLD 19-16 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 590, May 2 at 1119, music and ads, 590 frequently plugged,
                          finally ``Sabrosita`` slogan heard, which = XEPH, 25/10 kW in México
                          CDMX, rather than something closer like XEFD in Tamaulipas (Glenn

** Re: MEXICO. 610, April 29 at 1104 UT, Coahuila mentioned, Grupo M(?)
                          Radio. I would assume XEBX Sabinas, but it`s thought to have moved to
                          FM 105.9 with 610 deleted from WRTH 2019. http://www.radioxebx.com/ is
                          merely under construxion as ``La Primera`` on 105.9 AND 610. There has
                          been a CP for another Coahuilan on 610, XESORN in Saltillo to replace
                          XESAC which is definitely gone. Must monitor 610 again closely (Glenn

Raymie Humbert, AZ, replies April 29 on the WTFDA Forum: ``The Grupo M
                          station is XESORN, which went on the air late last year. XHBX-FM is
                          owned by GRD, not Grupo M. The signal you received was XESORN.``

** MEXICO. 610, May 8 at 1123 Banda music from SSW, 1126 DJ salutes
                          listener Amanda, now loops SW, but really same station? 1130 UT choral
                          NA, another one like 540 XETX playing it at this odd time. Again
                          trying to ascertain whether XEBX Sabinas, Coahuila still be on air; or
                          XEGS, Guasave, Sinaloa? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 660, May 8 at 1116 UT, Radio Vida ID in passing, phone(?)
                          number 17-29-12, approx. from south; seems like a Mexican but none
                          known by this name. Of course could be a program name, likely
                          Christian. Usual 660s here are XEEY in Aguascalientes and XEDTL in
                          CDMX. Per NRC AM Log, the only USA SS on 660 is 75-watt Radio Zion in
                          Oregon. No, KSKY sked remains in English (Glenn Hauser, OK DX
                          LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 710, May 8 at 1113, the Low German preacher is instead
                          speaking acceptable Spanish this time on XEDP Ciudad Cuauhtémoc,
                          Chihuahua. This one has no problem around SRS surpassing KGNC Amarillo
                          in similar direxion, or KCMO KC, MO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
                          DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 800, May 8 at 1110 UT, Laboratorios Camacho infomercial,
                          loud and in the clear from XEROK, as KQCV OKC is unusually absent!

** MEXICO. Awake briefly after 1100 UT May 3, checked for pre-sunrise
                          Mexicans on lowband MW, but nothing to be heard unlike yesterday on
                          570 & 590, and many more on April 29, 26. How drastically conditions
                          may change (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Comment

• Mostly Mexican MWDX to Enid OK, May 13-17, 2019

LISTENING DIGEST:

open access:
                            http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.p...-Hauser/page77
                            [over 353,000 views! as of May 17, 2019]

mostly DX-398 with internal antenna
                            Nissan stock caradio
                            as specified; ICR-75 with 100-foot E-W
                            longwire.

** MEXICO. 610, May 17 at 1121 UT, 2 minutes before LSR, Spanish DJ
                            and lively music from SW, presumed XEGS Guasave, Sinaloa, slowly
                            losing out to KCSP, under which I can still hear a choral NA at 1132.

650, May 17 at 1121, XETNT Los Mochis, Sinaloa, with different Spanish
                            DJ wakeup show, 1129 ``Buenos Días, Yarderos --- Radio 65``, and NA,
                            1131 back to music. Loops same as sibling 610 station. This is
                            stronger and holds up longer than XEGS. XETNT callsign seldom heard
                            and not today. By this late at sunrise, when I would have preferred to
                            sleep another two hours, the only two audible XEs on the lower band

Comment

• Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, May 13-27, 2019

individuals and

http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.p...-Hauser/page77
                              [over 355,000 views! as of May 27, 2019]

OKLAHOMA. During the long-predicted tornado outbreak Monday
                              afternoon May 20, quick survey 2020-2040 UT, of which radio stations
                              are plugged into which OKC TV stations in continuous storm coverage,
                              at least until prime time: [FM info skipped here]

KFOR ``4`` found on KTOK 1000, KGHM 1340
                              KOCO ``5`` at 2148 found on 1640 KZLS
                              KWTV ``9``: KGWA 960, KOKC 1520
                              Own live local coverage: KOKP 1020 Perry

U S A. 1090, May 15 at 0554 UT, three country gospel songs in a
                              row, 0559 ID as ``AM 1090, KAAY Little Rock, streaming ---, a Cumulus
                              station``. Dominant signal despite its original tight NNW/SSE night
                              pattern, obviously no longer in use by ND STA? Checking here since
                              Paul Walker had reported 500-watt daytimer KSOU in Iowa was running at
                              night.

U S A. 1160, May 17 at 1205 UT TexMexmx, with fast SAH, 1210 fade,
                              1212 back with slow SAH; 1213 ad for Rio Bravo Supermarket, and
                              finefoods.com?; another ad harder to understand by super-hype voice
                              actor. Loops NE/SW. The only possible SS around here (no more San
                              Antonio) is KCTO, CoL Cleveland MO (address in Liberty, i.e. Kansas
                              City market), and in fact Rio Bravo Supermarket chex out in Kansas
                              City KS (also Wichita). KCTO is 5 kW aiming only north, so hard to
                              believe I`m getting it so well, as I have a few years before.

CANADA. 1610, May 17 at 0500 UT, music seems Spanish, and also a
                              second carrier making a slight beat, both looping NE/SW. CHHA Toronto,
                              Voces Latinas, is usual dominator here. 3-year-old program grid at
                              http:///chha1610am.ca merely shows `All-Night Music`, but as of last
                              August log, heard in Portuguese Portuguese, and could also be Punjabi
                              which is hardly Latin.

I would love to get XEUACH, but probably has migrated to 1130 by now.
                              More likely than a TIS is CHRN Montreal in almost the same direxion as
                              Toronto which easily bloxit. How far apart are they? MW Offsets as of
                              Oct 2018 showed CHRN on 1609.9987, CHHA on 1609.9995, i.e. only 0.8 Hz
                              difference.

OKLAHOMA. 1640, May 20 at 0050 UT, KZLS Enid is S9+40 of dead air;
                              recheck shortly after 0100, had resumed with talkshow, presumably far
                              -right. See also Tornado report.

Until the next, Best of DX and 73 de Glenn Hauser

Comment

• Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, May 27-June 9, 2019

** U S A. May 27 starting at 1900 UT, less than one semihour after
                                local mean noon, bandscans on caradio from central Enid at a fairly
                                quiet parking lot, at least so at the long end of MW/low end of MF.
                                No storm noise now, but increasing line noise higher in the AM band.
                                I skip over many frequencies, only some notable items:

530, `K530AM`, Vance AFB is still off and maybe gone forever, rather
                                than inane loops of Ad Council PSAs, interspersed with occasional
                                imaginary IDs and never heard with any traffic or emergency info. As
                                in DXLD 18-30, it had been ``off the air again for a few days`` as of
                                July 18, 2018 --- and never heard since despite regular chex. If it
                                does resume, I shall be sure to report it.

560, fast SAH, maybe 20 Hz, presumably KWTO MO and KLZ CO at the
                                limits of their groundwaves 300+ and 400+ miles. But MWOffsets has
                                KLZ at .0000 and KTWO only 0.3 Hz away at .9997 --- nothing anywhere
                                near 20 Hz away

630, JBA talk, presumably KHOW Denver with far better Ogallala
                                Aquifer conductivity than KYFI St Louis beyond the Ozarx

650, JBA talk, presumably KGAB Orchard Valley WY (Cheyenne) as
                                previously under optimum GW conditions, like the Denverites

670, ``Call to Freedom`` program with Denver address: KLTT Commerce
                                City CO (Denver), a regular at the margins with 50 kW; no WSCR today

1070-, KFTI Wichita KS, country, is OFF! Very unusual; Memorial
                                holiday break? Hope they are fixing their off-frequency-minus
                                transmitter; yeah, sure. KNX beware. But this allows weak 1080 KRLD
                                Dallas to be heard without splash. KFTI still off at 1948 check

1090, weak religious talk, no doubt 10 kW KEXS Excelsior Springs MO
                                (Kansas City); highest frequency daytime GW from that area, 300+
                                miles, continues to amaze me

1130, KLEY Wellington KS, still OFF as has been for some weeks now

1190, medium SAH, presumably our two closest but also too far: KVSV
                                Beloit KS, and KFXR Dallas TX

1230, WBBZ Ponca City OK, is OFF! Very unusual for this semi-local
                                which has not been noted with any techdiffs. Another holidayer? Still
                                off at 1949 recheck. Nothing else audible, like the only other Okie,
                                which I *need*, KADA, where else but, Ada?

1460, KZUE El Reno OK, still on unlike offknocked by previous
                                tornado. Spanish talk, and PSA in Spanish for ``The Marines``! So not
                                plugged into Mexico City yet.

Re the name of the hmotel in El Reno hit by tornado, I finally got a
                                glimpse on KFOR of their sign still standing, American Budget Inn, I
                                think. Then reporter verbalized it: American Value Budget Inn, or
                                Budget Value per the grafix. Confusing.

1580, KLTR [sic] Blackwell OK, now it`s 1909 UT, dead air, while sibling
                                1020 KOKP Perry OK is nominal. I think there has been flooding in
                                Blackwell (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Now to other logs in frequency order first, rather than date:

** U S A. 770, June 7 at 0533 UT, WABC ID in passing amid adstring.
                                Not often makes it here, 1300+ miles from NYC, with the KKOB Santa Fe
                                230-watt filler more likely. WABC soon fades out completely as music
                                fades up, matched to Rebelde, Cuba (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
                                DIGEST)

** U S A. 1070-, May 28 at 2115 UT, and May 29 at 1333 UT, KFTI
                                Wichita KS is still off the air. Nothing about this at website
                                https://www.classiccountry1070.com/
                                which even still refers to its old call KFDI! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
                                LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1069.977, May 29 at 1925, shortly after my last report, I
                                find that KFTI Wichita KS has come back on air after several days;
                                why off, storm damage or flooding? ``Classic Country 10-70`` [sic].
                                Meanwhile did nothing to correct its off-frequency, re-measured as
                                above at 1535 UT May 30. MWOffsets had it:

1070 1069.9793 USA KFTI (Wichita, KS) [-1070.0045 range] 2018-01-02
                                which means an annoying 21.2 Hz SAH or LAH against KNX:
                                1070 1070.0005 USA KNX (Los Angeles/El Nido, CA) 2017-10-31 i IBOC
                                when both are audible, tho KFTI nightpower cuts from 10 kW to 1
                                (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1984, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1230, trying to get some DX while semi-local WBBZ Ponca
                                City is off; at least KADA. Best times will be circa SR/SS for nearby
                                skywave but not full of graveyard QRM. May 28 at 1408 UT is really
                                too late, but I do detect two or three JBA carriers. May 29 at 0058,
                                vs storm noise from SE OK, have some music looping NW/SE as Ada would
                                be; NRC AM Log says format is rock as ``Pirate Radio 102.3``; at 0102
                                end Fox News theme from N/S. Guess what, there is not a single 1230
                                in Kansas. Two in Nebraska, neither listed as Fox. Texas? Ten, of
                                which two are SS, and the only TX Fox in the Log is KWTX Waco, but
                                that`s hardly enough to go on (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1230, May 28 at 2115 UT and May 29 at 1333, WBBZ Ponca
                                City still completely off the air, probably due to flooding. This is
                                supposedly the website, with nothing about it, forwarded here after
                                clicking on a 1230 link! https://www.poncapost.com/sunny-104-7
                                See also UNIDENTIFIED (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1230, May 30 circa 2225 UT, WBBZ Ponca City is still off
                                the air; due to flooding? (Glenn Hauser, Enid, WORLD OF RADIO 1984,
                                DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1230, May 31 at 0155 UT, looking for DX in absence of WBBZ
                                Ponca City, but now it`s after sunset when there is plenty of other
                                QRM: briefly atop is a Rangers silly baseball game, 0156 break for
                                ad, but if local cannot copy it. DF seems NNW/SSE.

Texas Rangers provides map and station list on one page as of
                                5.21.19!
                                https://content.mlb.com/documents/5/...erage_Area.pdf

On 1230, there are two:
                                KSEY Haskell TX, near Wichita Falls, SSW of here, W of Arlington
                                KSST Sulphur Springs, in NE TX, SE of here, E of Arlington
                                (but in Waco not on KWTX), so KSST is more likely by DF. I am no
                                station-counter so less than 100% certainty is no problem. It is what
                                it is (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1230, June 5 at 0017 UT, WBBZ Ponca City is still OFF, so
                                I try again to ID some DX on this graveyard. At the moment there is a
                                heavy 2.0 Hz SAH, between a music station, suspected my closest KADA
                                Ada, and some talk station (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1230, June 7 at 0031 UT, music segués on strong signal,
                                must be semi-local WBBZ Ponca City reactivated, as of UT June 6 since
                                it was certainly not on the day before. First noted off May 27
                                following storms and flooding so that`s 11 days lost, during which I
                                did not gain much luck definitely DXing on this graveyard. Yes, at
                                0048 UT, ``Thanks for staying with us, Sunny 104.7 moved to 1230, with
                                Delilah on the air every evening`` – that change happened quite a
                                while ago as I previously commented; while sibling station really on
                                104.7 is now something else. Continues with some PSAs (Glenn Hauser,
                                Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1240, June 2 at 1301 UT, Wichita, ``Sports Radio KFH, 1240
                                AM, 97.5 FM`` and join ESPN. 97.5 is a mere translator, K248CY, per
                                NRC AM Log, yet misquotes ID as with 98.7 FM. WTFDA FM Database shows
                                98.7 as KNSS-FM, News/Talk, CoL Clearwater not Wichita, and not //
                                with 1330 AM altho that is now KNSS, since 1330 & 1240 swapped calls
                                several years ago. I slid up here after another attempt to ID
                                anything on non-WBBZ 1230 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1310, June 7 at 1106, noticias and La Caliente ID in
                                passing, looping E/W, just faded up over a real Mexican [q.v.]. NRC AM
                                Log shows it`s our closest to the west, KZIP Amarillo TX, U1
                                1000/88/500 watts psra, where they know how to spell hot (Glenn

** U S A. 1310, June 8 at 0631 UT, Colorado Broadcasters Association
                                PSA, guess who? 0632 UT refers to KFKA.com, and Colo. Army National
                                Guard PSA. Last logged presumably on October 18, 2011. It`s U2 5/1 kW,
                                i.e. ND day, tight slightly clockwise from N/S night pattern not good
                                for here to the SE of Greeley CO, making me suspect they are now on 5
                                kW ND day pattern (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1450, June 5 at 2035 UT near Perry OK on I-35, two
                                stations mixing, one of which is certainly closest KGFF Shawnee OK,
                                making a SAH of about 190/minute or slightly over 3 Hz. In Enid it`s
                                KGFF vs KSIW Woodward, but now we are out of range from Woodward, so
                                what could it be? No 1450s in eastern OK, but the next closest must be
                                KQYX Galena KS, named for the wonderful lead mines in this SE corner of
                                Kansas, but address in nearby Joplin MO. IIRC, call KQYX used to apply
                                to some genuine Joplin station (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1580, May 28 circa 1400 UT, KOKB Blackwell is still dead
                                air on open carrier. At least it is on the air, altho accomplishing
                                nothing. In previous report under USA daytime bandscan, I called it
                                KLTR! It`s really been KOKB since --- 3/20/84, 35 years ago. Oops.
                                Fixed:

1580, KOKB Blackwell OK, now it`s 1909 UT, dead air, while sibling
                                1020 KOKP Perry OK is nominal. There has been flooding in Blackwell.

But why? Somehow the program feed from Stillwater studio has been
                                cut. Why not turn off the transmitter in the meantime? Maybe site is
                                inaccessible by flooding, and/or there is no funxional remote control
                                --- now or never?

Still on with dead air at 2115 UT check May 28, and at 1333 UT May
                                29. Nothing about this found on the website
                                https://www.eteamradio.com/
                                Flooding in Blackwell is still reported May 29 (Glenn Hauser, Enid,
                                DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1580, May 29 at 1925 UT, shortly after my previous
                                report, KOKB Blackwell has finally resumed modulating // 1020 KOKP
                                Perry, with Stillwater ad, whence both of them originate. Flooding
                                may be abating now if that was the cause of modulation loss, tho
                                carrier always stayed on (Glenn Hauser, Enid, WORLD OF RADIO 1984, DX
                                LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, June 5 at 0520 UT, KZLS ``Enid``, really east of
                                Hennessey to put more signal into OKC with its NNW/SSE direxional
                                pattern, unusual for an inland X-bander, in dead air. So I try nulling
                                it for access to WTNI or anything else, but still too much KZLS, which
                                makes me wonder if it`s still on 10 kW instead of 1, while WTNI may be
                                on 1 kW instead of 10! By 0540 UT KZLS has resumed talkmod (Glenn
                                Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Comment

Working...
                                X