Dream AM DX receiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream AM DX receiver

I can not afford one but the best medium wave AM receiver I have ever used was the Potomac Instruments FIM-41.
    Potomac has now released their fully digital PI-4100.
    This newer model retails for 33% more than their legacy analogue one.

Here and There
    Last edited by ai4i; 09-17-2009, 09:10 AM.

There are much better AM DX receivers out there in the world ... You need to get out more.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wilke K9RZZ View Post
      There are much better AM DX receivers out there in the world ... You need to get out more.
      But, portable?

Comment

Well, it's got a nice meter. I'll give you that.

Got specs linked anywhere?

Comment

Got specs linked anywhere?
          No, but I have used them for antenna proofs and also took opportunities to test them out on vacant frequencies. They blow the battery covers off GE SupeRadios. Just don't tune to a strong signal in the wrong sensitivity mode, made for professionals who are supposed to know what they are doing, there is no AGC!
          Last edited by ai4i; 08-27-2009, 02:01 AM.

Comment

I can't believe it will outperform the Icom R71a. I just fired one up I got on eBay and I'm not quite sure what mods were done on it, but this thing is HOT! When I tune from 1601khz down to 1599khz the sensitivity jumps up 30db (really!). It's WOW!! Who ever had this one really did a nice job modifying it. I'll make a video to share.

Comment

Oh, and you know what else? It DOES have an AGC! LOL

Comment

Oh, and you know what else? It DOES have an AGC! LOL
                Does that not compromise the precise calibration of the S meter

Comment

Oh, do I care? LOL

I did learn, just now, that the switching PS I've been using to run it on DC is a serious noise generator. Gotta dig out the big Astron ... see if that's quieter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4ck-esxiws

Comment

Okay I'm new here but this Super Radio looks like a meter with some knobs on it, where's the frequency display? I saw a video of it & it sounds like crap for such an asking price so I am presuming that this in reality is commercial grade lab measuring equipment. Also what is better then this?

hqdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rwP9nbBPxQ

Comment

It is a commercial-grade instrument. It's what broadcast engineers use to verify that an AM station is radiating the amount of power it's authorized to radiate. The frequency is set in the square window in the upper left.
                      I don't see where the asking price is? (I'm finding other ads with prices between $760 and $3,700 -- the latter figure is closer to what I'd expect.)

It's decently sensitive but not hugely selective against adjacent channels. It's designed to take accurate measurements of one specific station so it's not really intended for use in a situation with significant interference.
                      Doug Smith W9WI
                      Pleasant View, TN EM66
                      http://www.w9wi.com

Comment

The $1,950.00 US ($2,578.68 AU) was just about the price one just sold for on Australian Ebay. For that kinda money I'd just as soon drop serious money on a Singer or Cushman, at least they have a frequency display & a scope. Have a good day.

Comment

Working...
                        X