Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1620 two stations maybe, one Spanish and one English (Virgin Islands?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1620 two stations maybe, one Spanish and one English (Virgin Islands?)

Two stations seemed to be in the mix last night on 1620.

First clip a few minutes prior to TOH is an ID in Caribbean-accented English that seems to say 102.5. Would that be Virgin Islands? I can find nothing mentioning 102.5 there.

A few minutes later, Right up to the TOH, a Spanish station seems to take over I am almost sure I hear a Rebelde ID, but there may be more to this than the *possible* Rebelde ID, and something else is said in Spanish after a bit of music.

Any ideas on these?

With thanks,

Saul
    Burnt River, Ontario
    Attached Files
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

"102.5 The Reef", which maybe the announcer dj incorrectly stated the frequency, which should be 103.5, plus the AM sister station. Unless that island accent is really saying 103.5 and it just sounds like a *2*.

http://reefbroadcasting.com/103-5-fm-program/
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
    Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
    Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

Thanks, Jim. I had WDHP in I think it's first night or so on the air way back when. Figured it was them, but with Spanish in the mix I wanted to rule out a pirate or a Mexican.
      Saul Chernos
      Burnt River ON

Comment

Originally posted by Saul View Post
        Thanks, Jim. I had WDHP in I think it's first night or so on the air way back when. Figured it was them, but with Spanish in the mix I wanted to rule out a pirate or a Mexican.
        The frequency alone rules out a Mexican.
        Follow En Frecuencia on Medium and Twitter @EnFrecuencia, your Mexican broadcasting blog.

The Reference Section features the HD Radio map, list of Article 90 reserved band clears, and more.

Comment

There's at least - depending on how they've reacted to the twister damage - one Rebelde on 1620 almost every night here.
          Last edited by Russ-PA; 03-20-2019, 05:35 PM. Reason: typo
          Russ Edmunds
          15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
          WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

2 ) SDRPlay RSP1a SDRs, Onkyo T450RDS,
          Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
          Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
          all w APS9B @ 15'
          Insignia NSHDRAD2 w/ whip.

Comment

Indeed, Russ, and it was pretty clear there was one there last night. Just struck me as potentially confusing at the TOH.
            And, Raymie, agreed re Mexico. I have spent little time chasing things on some X-band channels (1620 included), I'd forgotten. Thanks.
            Saul Chernos
            Burnt River ON

Comment

Even without an ID, the accent of the voices are Cuban. Then, after listening to it twice, at 00:17, starts a man's voice saying "Ahora, a las 8 de la noche, Rebelde le invita a que esté con nosotros Deportivamente".

So, yes, it's Radio Rebelde. It's also a common reception here.

Comment

I cannot prove anything at all.....but it is possible to me, that some of the many 1620's in Cuba may have shut down.

There was a tornado that hit Havana in Dec or Jan, and 1620 was almost a ghost town. Some I am sure have returned, but....

I strongly believe that all those 1620's came on, to jam the mighty (1 kw nights) WDHP, which was running an hour or two of anti-Castro Radio República. That was early 2000's I believe. With no more República there, no need for the 1620's now, although it *is* in X band.

This is all speculation.

cd

Comment

There are three Radio Rebelde's on 1620.....Cd. Habana (province La Habana), Las Tunas, and Guantánamo

You can find the ENTIRE AM list by province at the link below. The Radiocubana list does NOT have the city names or any technical details on this list...

http://www.radiocubana.cu/faqs-pregu...-provincias-am
                  Jim Thomas
                  Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
                  Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
                  Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

I have not had any noticeable echo when I have been hearing Rebelde here, north of Toronto. In the clip, I thought I heard a Rebelde ID but it was a bit chopped up and there were multiple stations, so wanted to be sure. Otherwise Rebelde is a nightly visitor here even under non-auroral cx. So one signal, at least, must be high enough powered. And, again, no apparent echo to indicate multiple transmitters. But I will pay closer attention knowing there is curiosity about that... Separately, I have had two Radio Reloj xmtrs on 870, a good second or so apart. The second one was new as of about three weeks ago, and has been widely reported. For all I know it's possible no one ever noticed it before, but it's possible this one second delay is a new development (either in terms of a noticeable delay or a new xmtr).
                    Saul Chernos
                    Burnt River ON

Comment

Working...
                    X