Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1610 IL Dept of Transportation HAR heard at Burnt River ... but which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1610 IL Dept of Transportation HAR heard at Burnt River ... but which one?

CHHA 1610 Toronto had an open carrier last night with an awful hum but managed to hear references to O'Hare and some roadways I don't recognize. Any of this familiar to someone closer to Chicago?
    Attached Files
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

"...to North Avenue. Estimated travel time from O'Hare to the downtown: 30 minutes. From ??? junction to downtown: 15 minutes. Travel congestion is reported at I- ... Remember, for worker ...

... More information may be available by dialing 312-DOT-INFO, that's DOT-INFO, 368-4636. The following information is provided by the Illinois Department of Transportation..."

An IDOT document from 2012 explains:

"Highway Advisory Radio: IDOT operates Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) at 14 locations in the metropolitan Chicago area and nine other locations throughout the state. HAR is used to disseminate travel related information to motorists while en-route using the vehicle’s radio. When notified of a message, motorists can tune their radios to the AM radio preset indicated on fixed static signing to hear the audible message."

It will be nigh impossible to nail down one.
    Follow En Frecuencia on Medium and Twitter @EnFrecuencia, your Mexican broadcasting blog.

The Reference Section features the HD Radio map, list of Article 90 reserved band clears, and more.

Comment

This is the TIS in Northfield IL along I-94 with is called the Edens Expressway. 73 KAZ Barrington IL

Comment

Thanks to Kaz for solving this as Northfield. I do wonder if even within a set of calls like there are for Northfield - KMH441 - whether there are multiple transmitters. I have seen cases also where a multiple sets of calls run the same message ... that is, the same message with two or even three combined IDs ... making it (to use Raymie's word) 'nigh' impossible to know which calls to log. In this case I'll log as KGH441. The location is also the closest of the various IL DOTs to O'Hare. One thought beyond certainty ... these TIS/HARs sure do travel for what is usually, supposedly in the 10-watt range. Thank you, both, for your help here. I knew it was IL-DOT near/in Chicago, but not much more than that.
        Saul Chernos
        Burnt River ON

Comment

Working...
        X