Unid 1340(s) at TOH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unid 1340(s) at TOH

The following was recorded from 10:55 PM to just after 11:00 pm MST today, and is the jumbled mess that is 1340. Prior to this clip, I clearly heard the Alan Colmes show which could be KBBR from Oregon, as it was the only affiliate of his I could find, unless there is one closer to Sheridan. The TOH comes roughly 15-20 seconds before the clip ends. I am hoping someone with better ears, or software, can clear up this cluttered mess on 1340 and dig out an ID or two. Thanks ahead of time.
    Attached Files
    Justin W. - Coon Rapids, Minnesota (EN35)
    Most used radios in order: Sony XDR-F1HD, 2015 Nissan Rogue Stock Radio, Grundig G8, or Grundig S350.
    DTV dx: Insignia Tuner that everyone else has.
    DTV dx2: Vizio 24" DTV built in 2011 (hooked to Insignia).
    DTV dx3: Emerson 40" DTV built in August of 2015.
    FM Antenna: 4 Element Beam similar to the FM-6 just missing two elements.
    TV Antenna: RCA Suburban VHF-HI/UHF

Justin,

At the very end I hear a couple of partial IDs but cannot make any out.

However, I definitely hear "KXEQ Reno Nevada" very faintly at 4:21-4:24 with the letter "Q" in KXEQ garbled and possibly heard "KQJZ" in Evergreen, MT at 3:04.

John
    ];')
    Last edited by Kugellager; 11-27-2012, 04:20 PM.

Comment

I was hoping you would reply Kugellager, you have a better ear than I do. Did you do anything with software to clean it up?
      Most used radios in order: Sony XDR-F1HD, 2015 Nissan Rogue Stock Radio, Grundig G8, or Grundig S350.

Comment

I was at work so all I used was the equalizer option on Windows Media Player to remove a little high end hiss and some excessive booming on the low end. That said I could hear it well enough with the equalizer off. I also listened to it on my laptop with and w/o headphones when I got home to make sure it wasn't something I was just hearing on one computer or set of speakers. I could still hear "KXEQ Reno, Nevada" clearly enough.

Your recording, although a jumbled mess of stations, was a good recording of the signal with little noise so it didn't need any huge clean up....not like some of the noisey crud I dig things out of. I'll have to post a new log I grabbed last night of a before and after cleanup.

I think I would count KXEQ as a log but not KQLZ. You'll probably pick up a good recording of KQLZ at some point due to its proximity to your location.

Working the graveyard frequencies is always a bit or persistance mixed with a bit of luck.

John
        ];')

Comment

What about the Alan Colmes show on 1340? Any other ideas?

Comment

For me, just hearing the Alan Comes show would not be a log unless I heard local commercials along with it. Many stations carry it

I only log something without a call sign ID as ID'd if I can
            1) hear local ads and/or programming
            2) Hear a jingle or slogan
            3) or can ID it by listening to the online stream (this works very well with local content or music but not necessarily with nationally syndicated shows as many stations run them at the same time nationwide.) This can work if they run the program at a different time and you can look up their schedule).

So although I agree that KBBR is the most likely culprit due to your location I would not log it. I have been DX'ing many times and was sure I knew which station I was listening to only to have a completely unexpected TOH ID pop in and surprise the heck out of me...which is still good as it is nearly always a new log.

John
            ];')

Comment

Working...
            X