Recent AM unIDs at Burnt River ON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent AM unIDs at Burnt River ON

unIDs from Burnt River ON. Clips are date and time stamped (EST).

990 - FM in ID at 40 seconds, sounds like Wing FM and maybe referencing an FM with a 7 in it.

1010 - Phone number just after 10 seconds seems like 357-1403 followed by reference to Big Ten.

1050 - Any idea who would air this kind of classical music on 1050?

1400 - ID sounding like 101.3 the Champion at 8 seconds.

1540 - A jingle reminiscent of an oldies station, three seconds in. Mixing with CHIN Toronto (Chinese).

1570 - Weather from an oldies station, right at start of clip. I am suspecting WI and MN as target areas.

1640 - A full loop of PA DoT HAR but there's no ID. The text is as follows: “You’re listening to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation highway advisory radio system. This station is updated to keep you informed of the latest travel conditions and highway information. Please listen to this station when instructed to do so. (One sentence unintelligible but doesn't seem like an ID would fit here). Please drive carefully.” This could possibly be any oen of the PA DoT HARs, but have any of you heard this and possibly figured out where it is in PA? I'm surprised no calls are given.

Any leads are appreciated!

Saul
    Attached Files
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

990 is almost certainly WWKY KY. Tim Tromp hears WW... Tim Hall hears WWKN. The only close phonetic match, as he points out, is WWKY, though he adds the slogan doesn't make sense for them. Still, I've heard WWKY before, so this one gets ditched.

1400 - Tim Hall sees two possibilities - WCYN KY and WATW WI. Chris Kadlec sees it as likely WCYN. WCYN was my original hunch, too. Previously heard once here, so ditching this.

1540 - Tim Hall hears a jingle for CHIN" "[15]-40 Chin AM!". He can't hear another jingle underneath it. That's because the jingle fooled me. It sounded like an oldies-type station, not my closes semilocal on the channel. So I went on a chase for something exotic when it was the last thing from that. Sigh...

1050 -- Sean Welsh just northwest of Toronto says "twice this week I've been able to null CHUM out just enough to hear classical music and long piano pieces. No ID. It seems to be NNW / SSE of my location in Orangeville." Hmmm - I'd say 1050 bears watching - maybe a format change or something oddball

1640 - Various people had thoughts about the PA DoT HAR. Bruce Conti had
    WPNX700 PA with multiple locations in 2013, but it IDed as "the Pennsylvania Turnpike Highway Advisory Radio System, WPNX700." The FCC database lists multiple options for what I heard, so this one gets relegated to "keep an eye on" status.

1570 - no comments.

Thank you to everyone who listened and / or commented. It's appreciated!

Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Comment

Definitely not one of the many PA Turnpike stations. It sounds as if you might have two stations parallel one another unless something else is interfering to cause what sounds like an echo. Unfortunately the message is generic. There are 1640 DOT HAR's in locations along Interstate's 70 ( State Line Welcome Center ) , 80 ( two of them in Bellefonte and two more in Sandy Ridge) and 90 ( at 1-79). My only 'preference' would be something on I-80. The trouble is that absent some pileup or severe weather, there's not likely to be anything specific.
      Russ Edmunds
      15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
      WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

2 ) SDRPlay RSP1a SDRs, Onkyo T450RDS,
      Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
      Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
      all w APS9B @ 15'
      Insignia NSHDRAD2 w/ whip.

Comment

Further - after checking to see where Burnt River actually is, I can't rule out the HAR at I-90 & I-79 near Erie.
        Russ Edmunds
        15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
        WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

2 ) SDRPlay RSP1a SDRs, Onkyo T450RDS,
        Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
        Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
        all w APS9B @ 15'
        Insignia NSHDRAD2 w/ whip.

Comment

Thanks, Russ. Interesting to rule out the PA Turnpikes. I have had enough PA HAR-type stations that I would consider pretty much anything in the state as possible. You're no doubt right - wait for the right situation on the transmitting end. I would still have expected IDs of some kind...
          Saul Chernos
          Burnt River ON

Comment

Saul,

I wasn’t able to reply earlier, but I see now that it got cleared up.

Thus is gonna sound far fetched on the classical 1050—but Radio Uruguay in Montevideo runs classical on 1050. And tge direction would seem to match,

Funny/odd as it sounds, 1050 Uruguay has been heard on the Bjargtangar, Iceland SDR by yours truly, //Streema.

Is CKSB 1050 still on, or did it move totally to FM?

Cd

Comment

Working...
            X