WJLI 98.3 tx site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WJLI 98.3 tx site

Just got back from the WJLI 98.3 Metropolis, IL (tx in Golo, KY) transmitter site...

Pictures 009.jpg

Pictures 014.jpg

Pictures 008.jpg

...The transmitter has been off air / running low power for a couple of days. Had to put the truck in four-wheel-drive to reach the tx building. I passed Lewis and Clark on my way in and gave them directions to the Northwest Passage. The tx building was wide open and it appeared some work was being done at the site but nobody was there. I guess the techs were on their lunch break. The power amp was shut down and just the exciter was running. Probably running only a handful of watts.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    Last edited by NN2E; 04-14-2016, 10:12 AM.
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Out of curiosity, I had to look up WJLI, and I noticed it's one of those 100,000 watters. Luckily there aren't any blowtorches around here like that. And I'm pretty sure there aren't supposed to be due to the DMAs being too close together in this part of the country. WQXK 105.1 is one exception at 88,000 watts, but that's about 40 miles away and doesn't overload here.

Anyways, I'm surprised you were able to get that close as there are usually "NO TRESPASSING" signs posted.

Comment

Ed,

Are they related to one of your favorite, well-run/engineered stations, WRIK-AM?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
        Out of curiosity, I had to look up WJLI, and I noticed it's one of those 100,000 watters. Luckily there aren't any blowtorches around here like that. And I'm pretty sure there aren't supposed to be due to the DMAs being too close together in this part of the country. WQXK 105.1 is one exception at 88,000 watts, but that's about 40 miles away and doesn't overload here.
        Ohio is in Zone I. In this area, only Class A, B1, and B stations are available. Power limits for these classes are 6,000 watts/100m; 25,000 watts/100m; and 50,000 watts/150m respectively. (higher antennas are allowed with corresponding reductions in power)

The framework of those rules was established in 1964. WQXK presumably signed on before 1964, at a time when the FCC would authorize any power level that wouldn't interfere with anything.

WJLI's transmitter is located in Kentucky, which is in Zone II. In this zone, you can't get a B1 or B but you can get a C, C0, C1, C2, or C3. These limits are 100,000w/600m; 100,000w/450m; 100,000w/300m; 50,000w/150m; and 25,000w/100m respectively. (you can also get a 6,000w/100m Class A)

And yes, the classes available are determined by the location of the transmitter, not the city of license. WJLI's city of license is in Illinois, where a Class C1 shouldn't be possible. Placing the transmitter in Kentucky makes C1 possible. There's a C0 station licensed to Ohio -- WNKE New Boston. (formerly WPAY-FM Portsmouth) The WNKE transmitter is also located in Kentucky, and thus is eligible for C0 status.

You're right that the closer proximity of the markets in the northeastern part of the country is the reason for the zone difference. Zone I is roughly the area north of the Ohio River, east of the Mississippi, and south of Syracuse. A second Zone IA covers most of California. There's a map on Wikipedia.
        Doug Smith W9WI
        Pleasant View, TN EM66
        http://www.w9wi.com

Comment

Andrew... If there were any, "No Trespassing" signs they disappeared into the undergrowth many years ago. The creek / driveway / swamp used to access the site makes sure that you really have to be determined to get into the site.

Antennanut... As far as I know WJLI is owned by the same 'duct tape & fence wire' outfit that owns WRIK AM, which, last I checked, is still off air. However, due to my, "It's so slow it's almost running backwards" internet connection I haven't done any research on WJLI's current ownership.

The WJLI tx site is what I'd call a typical, "run it until it drops dead" tx site. It's obvious the words, "preventive maintenance" do not exist within the ownership of this station. I can't remember the last time I saw the tower with all of it's marker lights operational.

73, Ed NN2E
          Your TV is on 24/7.
          Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

Originally posted by w9wi View Post
            Ohio is in Zone I. In this area, only Class A, B1, and B stations are available. Power limits for these classes are 6,000 watts/100m; 25,000 watts/100m; and 50,000 watts/150m respectively. (higher antennas are allowed with corresponding reductions in power)

The framework of those rules was established in 1964. WQXK presumably signed on before 1964, at a time when the FCC would authorize any power level that wouldn't interfere with anything.

WJLI's transmitter is located in Kentucky, which is in Zone II. In this zone, you can't get a B1 or B but you can get a C, C0, C1, C2, or C3. These limits are 100,000w/600m; 100,000w/450m; 100,000w/300m; 50,000w/150m; and 25,000w/100m respectively. (you can also get a 6,000w/100m Class A)

And yes, the classes available are determined by the location of the transmitter, not the city of license. WJLI's city of license is in Illinois, where a Class C1 shouldn't be possible. Placing the transmitter in Kentucky makes C1 possible. There's a C0 station licensed to Ohio -- WNKE New Boston. (formerly WPAY-FM Portsmouth) The WNKE transmitter is also located in Kentucky, and thus is eligible for C0 status.

You're right that the closer proximity of the markets in the northeastern part of the country is the reason for the zone difference. Zone I is roughly the area north of the Ohio River, east of the Mississippi, and south of Syracuse. A second Zone IA covers most of California. There's a map on Wikipedia.
            Based on the above here, I have a feeling that I gave somebody bad info. I thought that due to Docket 80-90 or some similar thing, any FM station can increase power anywhere (like upgrading to a C0) as long as spacing will allow, or, there are no complaints of QRM from other stations.

So then I would assume that the transmitter for 106.9 in Suffolk VA is located in NC. How else could it be 100 kW? I am disappointed now if that is the case. It was the first "VA" FM I caught via Tropo in 2009.

cd

Comment

Originally posted by cd637299 View Post
              So then I would assume that the transmitter for 106.9 in Suffolk VA is located in NC. How else could it be 100 kW? I am disappointed now if that is the case. It was the first "VA" FM I caught via Tropo in 2009.

cd
              The transmitter is in Virginia, not North Carolina... http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WAFX-FM

The US Broadcast Zone boundary seems to slice right through southern Virginia... https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...cast_zones.png

Either it's outside the stricter boundary or it was grandfathered in with a higher power.

Comment

According to Radio-Locator, WAFX-106.9 is a Class C 100kw with tower in Virginia. Since Class C's are only allowed in Zone II, the transmitter is in Zone II. It is not a grandfathered situation. Great catch cd by the way.
                Chris - Poughkeepsie, NY
                DTV DXer since April 2009
                See last 24hr DTV DX on Autologger Map here: https://rabbitears.info/tvdx/one_tun...01803EF/tuner1
                DTV DX screenshots at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtvdxer/sets
                DTV DX Videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtvdxer

Comment

As usual, I shot off my keyboard/mouth before I took the time to peek at Radio-Locator. Indeed the transmitter is in VA. Distance is about 770 miles, my farthest Tropo of any kind to the north. Thanks folks.

BTW this was because at the time, my local 106.7 had no HD. Such is not the case today; so WAFX will be a challenge now!

cd

Comment

Originally posted by NN2E View Post
                    Antennanut... As far as I know WJLI is owned by the same 'duct tape & fence wire' outfit that owns WRIK AM, which, last I checked, is still off air. However, due to my, "It's so slow it's almost running backwards" internet connection I haven't done any research on WJLI's current ownership.
                    The two stations aren't officially commonly owned but they might as well be... In 2002 Samuel K. Stratemeyer sold WRIK to... his brother Daniel S. Stratemeyer. Samuel K. (as sole owner of Sun Media) still owns WJLI.
                    Doug Smith W9WI
                    Pleasant View, TN EM66

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
                      The transmitter is in Virginia, not North Carolina... http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WAFX-FM

The US Broadcast Zone boundary seems to slice right through southern Virginia... https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...cast_zones.png

Either it's outside the stricter boundary or it was grandfathered in with a higher power.
                      From 73.205(a):
                      Beginning at the most easterly point on the State boundary line between North Carolina and Virginia; thence in a straight line to a point on the Virginia-West Virginia boundary line located at north latitude 37°49′ and west longitude 80°12′30″;
                      I had to plot it on Google Earth.. the WAFX tower is 2.67km on the Zone II side of the line. There's another station in Suffolk, WVBW 92.9. It's roughly four miles north and 22 miles east of WAFX - which puts it squarely into Zone I territory - and makes WVBW a Class B.

WAFX signed on late in 1983, way too late to be grandfathered.
                      Doug Smith W9WI
                      Pleasant View, TN EM66

Comment

WJLI continues running low power... It won't even light the "stereo" indicator on my receiver and I'm line-of-sight from the tower.

Maybe, one of you, with more internet speed than I've got, (that would be everyone) can do some research to find out why WJLI is down to flea power.

73, Ed NN2E
                        Your TV is on 24/7.
                        Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

There are no recent FCC applications, I can't find a social media presence other than their website which is half broken because of what appears to be a format flip??, etc. Their stream is operating though.
                          Follow En Frecuencia on Medium and Twitter @EnFrecuencia, your Mexican broadcasting blog.

The Reference Section features the HD Radio map, list of Article 90 reserved band clears, and more.

Comment

Thanks for checking, Raymie... I thought there might be a WJLI Facebook page or some other kind of interactive media but, apparently not.

It's still running flea power as I type.

As for the format change... a while back WJLI was a Pop / Top 40 / AC station. They switched to Classic Rock a couple of years ago.

73, Ed NN2E
                            Last edited by NN2E; 04-19-2016, 02:00 PM.
                            Your TV is on 24/7.
                            Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

It's a miracle!... I stepped outside, after sunset, looked to the south and I could hardly believe my eyes... WJLI's top tower light is back on! It only took them about 5 years to fix it. I wonder how long it'll last.

WJLI is still running low power, though, it does light the stereo indicator on my FM receiver, now. It registers an S-5 on the R-7000 receiver with the antenna aimed right at the tower. For comparison, local translator W238AN (250 watts, iirc) is 10 db over S-9. As I was typing this, WJLI ran an ad / ID bragging about their 100,000 watt power output. I think I can safely say this was false advertising.

73, Ed NN2E
                              Your TV is on 24/7.
                              Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

Working...
                              X