X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh-Oh

Here's what happens...

Pictures 011.jpg

... When 80 to 100+ mph wind meets 7 ft parabolic.

That's a 2 in diameter steel mast the antenna is mounted on.

I think the top of the tower may also be bent a little.

Ugh.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Oh no... That is terrible news, and enough to make a man shed a tear.

I hope you quickly resolve the problem, and are back DXing.

Chad

Comment

2" diameter pipe?? Do you know if it was galvanized? I think I use 1-5/8" diameter galvanized fence post, but then again, I'm not flying a parabolic like that.

Comment

Thant stinks, Ed. Hope you didn't have any other damage - it was quite a line of rough storms!

Tommy

Comment

Ooooh...that's awful. So sorry for you.
          2010 Honda Fit stock radio.
          Grundig G8 ultralight .
          Grundig G3

Comment

If I can get it all to turn, I may spin it 180 degrees and wait for the next storm to bend it back. :-)

Andrew... Having thought about it a little more, I believe the galvanized, water pipe, mast is actually 1.875" OD with a wall thickness of .125". Whatever it is, it's not enough.

Ham Radio operators generally agree... "If the weather doesn't, occasionally, destroy your antenna system, it isn't big enough." :-)

I have some repair work to do on the property... No major damage but it'll be a while before I get around to fixing TV antennas.

73, Ed NN2E
            Your TV is on 24/7.
            Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

Hey Ed, I do structural engineering for a living. So I know a bit about this kind of stuff. I'm not sure exactly what the wind load would be for a parabolic dish with mesh on it. Maybe you can find that information in an old document from the manufacturer of these antennas. That would be helpful to know. I wouldn't be surprised if there was as much as 15 to 20 psf of wind load on that surface. If that's the case, then you could be seeing 500 to 800 lbs. of lateral wind load!! And the higher up the pole that dish is, the more bending moment is created. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a pole any less than a 1/4" thick (if you can find that), and you would still want a little more than 2" diameter (if it would fit in your rotor).

Comment

The antenna system has gone 7 years and 8 months since it's last major overhaul (2009 ice storm). It survived 458 thunderstorm days (I keep track) and everything else Kentucky could throw at it, without any damage. The March 1st storm was one for the record books.

(Who had 7 yrs, 8 mo in the - "How long will it last, this time?" - betting pool?)

Andrew...The next mast might be a pipe, within a pipe, (within a pipe?)... You get the idea.

73, Ed NN2E
                Your TV is on 24/7.
                Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

Just hooked up the antennas to see if they'd still work...

Pictures 033.jpg

... I was afraid this might happen.

73, Ed NN2E
                  Your TV is on 24/7.
                  Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

Originally posted by NN2E View Post
                    Just hooked up the antennas to see if they'd still work...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20060[/ATTACH]

... I was afraid this might happen.

73, Ed NN2E
                    What exactly am I looking at?
                    Follow En Frecuencia on Medium and Twitter @EnFrecuencia, your Mexican broadcasting blog.

The Reference Section features the HD Radio map, list of Article 90 reserved band clears, and more.

Comment

Here's a hint... Toggle, back and forth, between the picture in post #1 and the picture in post #9 and see if you can spot the similarity.

73, Ed NN2E
                      Your TV is on 24/7.
                      Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

Hmm, you were hoping you would have lost the signal for WSIL? :-)

Maybe its the clouds creeping into the picture. In the future, no matter what channel you are watching (even if its dx), there will be clouds creeping into the picture. Murphy's Law.
                        Jim Thomas
                        Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
                        Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
                        Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

Really?... It's that difficult?...

I think we have a, "can't see the forest for the trees" thing going on here...

So, I'll spell out...

Look at the thumbnail in post 1... The antennas are crooked.

Look at the thumbnail in post 9... The TV is crooked.

What the pictures are trying to tell you is:

Because the antennas are crooked, it causes the TV picture to be crooked...See the correlation? It's called, "humor." Now, was that so hard?

To quote the great American philosopher, Larry the Cable Guy, "Now that's funny right there."

...Try to keep up next time.

I've managed to turn the antennas 180 degrees. Another high wind / squall line / thunderstorm event is due tomorrow morning. Maybe it'll bend the antennas back...

73, Ed NN2E
                          Your TV is on 24/7.
                          Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

OMG, that is so funny I busted a gut. I was rolling in the aisle and people were stepping over me! That's what I get for looking past the obvious. I saw the tilt but was certain that in Ed's *Einstein* brain, he saw something completely different. See the forest for the trees? I couldn't see the tree for its leaves!

And regarding the weather, what the weather man 250 miles west of you is saying, loosely translated - you might be LOOKING FOR your antennas tomorrow.

And the oxy-moron wanted to know, "Why do you call it a TV set when you only have one?" While he was waiting for the answer to that one, he also wanted to know, "Why do you press harder on the buttons of your remote control when you know the batteries are dead?"
                            Jim Thomas
                            Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
                            Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
                            Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

Well I didn't see it either, so that's two of us without a sense of humor. :-)
                              Mike B.
                              Enfield, CT
                              -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
                              FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
                              mikesdx.com

Comment

Working...
                              X