No announcement yet.

Uh-Oh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand, Mike... If I still lived in the northeast I wouldn't have a sense of humor, either. :-)

... It's Jim I'm worried about. :-)

The, 'turn the antennas 180 degrees and hope it bends back' scheme didn't work. BIG squall line came through, this morning, but all it did was turn the antennas 90 degrees. With the bent mast the P-7 acts like a giant wind-vane. :-(

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

I finally got around to doing some antenna work...

P-7.jpg

... I cut the mast above the bend, removed the bent section, and re-installed the P-7 parabolic in the top of the tower.

The CS-1100 VHF is down for repair... I've got quite a pile of old VHF antennas so I'm hoping I can find enough parts to fix it. Anybody have a Channel Master 3617B for sale? It'd save me the trouble of fixing the CS-1100. :-)

73, Ed NN2E
      Last edited by NN2E; 10-31-2018, 11:50 AM.
      Your TV is on 24/7.
      Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

About 10 days ago, I hired a crane to remove the P-7 UHF parabolic (money well spent)...

HD-1850.jpg

... Today, I installed the Antennacraft (I call it Antennacrap... more on that, later) HD-1850 V/U combo antenna on the 40 foot tower. Yeah, I know, a couple of the elements are slightly bent (I had lots of 'help' from Murphy and a bunch of angry wasps during installation) but I'll straighten them on the next trip up the tower.

The top of the tower was bent during the March 1st, 2017 storm. I used a chain and screw-jack to bend the tower top back into alignment.

Now the, "Antennacrap" HD-1850... a flimsy, poorly constructed, antenna. I suspect it was built using pieces they swept up off of the floor and was assembled by one of the local kindergarten classes. It required lots of modification / reinforcement before going up on the tower. And, of course, the hardware package was missing some pieces...

The HD-1850 is built like a Yugo.
        Yall remember the Yugo automobiles?...
        Question: Why do Yugo's have a rear window defroster?
        Answer: So you can keep your hands warm while you're pushing it.

... I still need to add the pre-amp and feed-line but, at least, the antenna's not in the way, anymore. I'll let you know how it works when I get it hooked up.

73, Ed NN2E
        Last edited by NN2E; 11-09-2018, 07:41 AM.
        Your TV is on 24/7.
        Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

Looks good to me... no bent elements!! I had my Winegard 8200 installed back in June, and I have lots of doves that sit on all the elements. Rotating the antenna doesn't help. They just sit there. I'd probably feel better with an antenna of higher quality. DX Engineering sells a Create log periodic for 50 to 1300 MHz. I doubt the gain is as good for TV, but I hear the Create antennas are of good quality. But DXing TV here is just going to become a story of the past once the repack is complete.

Comment

Just climbed down from another trip up the tower (I'm gettin' tired of climbing that thing)... Straightened what little bends there were in a few of the antenna elements. Installed an outdoor electrical box...

Pictures 004.jpg

...that'll serve as the housing for the Channel Master 7777 pre-amp (2nd generation, single input, gray metal housing) and 4G-LTE filter. Going to do a little work on the pre-amp and hope to install it tomorrow. Might even have the whole works operational by tomorrow night... If Murphy doesn't 'help' me.

Andrew... I'll probably have issues with some of the large birds (Buzzards, Hawks, Owls) landing on the antenna.

The big plus with the L-P antennas is an enormous amount of bandwidth. The minus is, not much gain.

I thought I'd seen the last of KPXJ 21 Minden, LA (420 mi) and KTVE 27/10 El Dorado, AR (335 mi) with semi-local repacks moving to those channels. To my surprise I've still been able to see them. I don't think all will be lost with the completion of repack but it's certainly going to make DXing more challenging.

73, Ed NN2E
            Your TV is on 24/7.
            Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

Originally posted by NN2E View Post
              About 10 days ago, I hired a crane to remove the P-7 UHF parabolic (money well spent)...

... Today, I installed the Antennacraft (I call it Antennacrap... more on that, later) HD-1850 V/U combo antenna

Ed, I've been reading about your antenna problems. I am sorry.

Am I missing something here? I know I'm out of touch with what is happening in DXing.

Why did you take down the dish again?
              Danny
              Shreveport, LA
              Mexico/Latin America TV DX ID Tips http://www.tvdxtips.com
              Submit and read DTV Stats http://www.tvdxexpo.com/dtvdxrecords.html
              TV and DTV DX Photographs http://www.tvdxexpo.com
              My Photographs of 100 Mexico TV DX Local IDs http://www.tvdxexpo.com/100mexicotvids.html
              More than 1,100 TV logs since 1994

Comment

Hi Danny...

The March 1st, 2017 storm warped the P-7 so I decided to take it down and straighten it out, again. Also, I didn't want to expose it to another Winter and all that comes with it. (ice storm?)

I've been without a VHF antenna since June of 2017 and I wanted to get something in the air that covers VHF & UHF. I had the HD-1850 'in stock' so I decided to give it a go.

The CS-1100 VHF has, for the most part, been repaired. I mounted it on one of the clothes-line poles (abt 6 ft agl) during this year's E-skip season and it worked quite well.

Eventually, I plan on getting the CS-1100 & P-7 back on a tower... maybe, next Spring.

I'm hoping to finish the HD-1850 project, tomorrow, if the wx will allow... We've been getting a LOT of rain along with one of our famous, "You're all going to die" severe thunderstorm events, yesterday.

73, Ed NN2E
                Your TV is on 24/7.
                Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

The HD-1850 has been on-line for a few days and seems to be working OK. Of course, Murphy's Law of new antennas (Put up a new antenna and propagation will go dead) is in play, so tropo conditions have been dismal.

It's nice to having an antenna, that works at VHF, back on the tower... been hearing lots of meteor scatter signals, mostly from the Ontario analogs... CIII 2, CITO 3, etc.

On UHF, the antenna isn't as critical about aiming as the parabolic antenna... it's a bit more like aiming a shotgun than aiming a rifle.

One other thing I did during the antenna change-over process was a, "HillBilly overhaul" on the HD-73 rotator. (It needed lubricating. It was making awful squalling noises on cold mornings) I loosened the terminal strip, on the base of the rotor, set the rotor in a bucket, filled the rotor full of mineral oil (through the terminal strip opening) ran it back and forth a few times, poured out the mineral oil, and re-attached the terminal strip. Presto! Instant rotor 'overhaul.' The rotor now runs as quiet as it ever has and I didn't have to disassemble the whole thing to fix it.

We're expecting some freezing rain, sleet, snow, wind, etc over the next 24 hours... We'll see how the HD-1850 holds up during it's first Winter test.

73, Ed NN2E
                  Your TV is on 24/7.
                  Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

A better choice for rotor lubrication in extreme cold climates would be the use of synthetic motor oil.

Comment

Probably so, though, those synthetic oils are quite expensive... I had the mineral oil 'in stock' so I used it... Didn't cost me anything. So far, the rotor has worked OK in cold wx... It was in the upper teens, a few days ago, and there were no problems with rotation.

The HD-1850 survived it's first round of Winter wx.

73, Ed NN2E
                      Your TV is on 24/7.
                      Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

November 24th & 25th brought some tropo activity from AL, AR, FL, GA, LA & MS... Best DX was Jacksonville, FL (WJXT 42/4 & WJEB 44/59) at 602 miles... I guess the HD-1850 will do until I get the 'good' antennas back in the air.

73, Ed NN2E
                        Your TV is on 24/7.
                        Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

I've made one minor change since the HD-1850 system went operational... The 2nd gen, CM 7777 pre-amp (single input, grey metal housing) started acting weird. (not the first time it's done this) At times, it seems to go 'hay-wire' with lots of 'birdie' signals all over the spectrum. (self oscillation?) Anyhoo, I took it out of line and replaced it with a 1st gen CM 7777 (dual input, grey metal housing) switched to single input usage, and the ills have gone away. I use a Rad-Shack 1500396, 4G LTE, low pass filter at the pre-amp input to keep local cell-site RF crud from getting into the pre-amp.

Now that I've been running the HD-1850 for several months I can report it works OK for DXing... UHF performance is so-so but good enough... VHF performance is better than I expected... I've logged quite a few new DTV stations with it.

Still looking forward to getting the CS-1100 VHF & P-7 UHF back in the air, someday, but the HD-1850 will do, for now.

BTW... The, "HillBilly overhaul" on the HD-73 rotator was a success... Still turning nicely without any strange noises.

73, Ed NN2E
                          Your TV is on 24/7.
                          Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

The HD-1850 has been up for a year, is still in one piece, and working fine.

My impression of the antenna's performance remains the same... OK on UHF... Better than expected on VHF.

The rotor is still turning OK, without any strange noises, even though it's only 10 degrees F this morning.

I've logged over 100 new DTVs with this antenna, most of them due to repack... The log total is well over 900... I'll let yall know if I ever reach 1000.

73, Ed NN2E
                            Last edited by NN2E; 11-13-2019, 05:21 PM.
                            Your TV is on 24/7.
                            Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

Working...
                            X