X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not DX, but worth a view...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y-kgdR_AHw4

cd

You were within line-of-sight of the transmitter tower, and yet you still had to work a bit to receive the signal on the TV? This is why I wonder why so many people near me have been able to log it. It doesn’t seem possible. And regarding WSBS-3, that one may be directional as well, but at least the maximum radiated power is more. I wonder why there haven’t been any Es reportings of WSBS. Could this have something to do with how much power goes up and away from the tower rather than being transmitted at an angle downward to the intended target. I know most stations seem to transmit the main lobe of power at an angle of about 0.5 to 2 degrees below the horizontal. I’m not giving up on WSBS or WTSP.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
      You were within line-of-sight of the transmitter tower, and yet you still had to work a bit to receive the signal on the TV? This is why I wonder why so many people near me have been able to log it. It doesn’t seem possible. And regarding WSBS-3, that one may be directional as well, but at least the maximum radiated power is more. I wonder why there haven’t been any Es reportings of WSBS. Could this have something to do with how much power goes up and away from the tower rather than being transmitted at an angle downward to the intended target. I know most stations seem to transmit the main lobe of power at an angle of about 0.5 to 2 degrees below the horizontal. I’m not giving up on WSBS or WTSP.
      Andrew, seeing as it has been reported from both MI and ON, Ed in KY as well, no reason to give up trying.

Now, as to WSBS....I was told by the CE in Miami (who wanted to know why I was so curious about DT 3) that they are running 250 watts. "Must-carry" is the only reason they have a licensed full power station, running LD-esque power. If indeed 250 watts, WTSP 4 is stronger. Doug posted in TV News that Miami will be getting an LD on 3*, so obviously WSBS will never apply for the full monty.

Even when I was in Key West with outdoor TV antenna up, there were certain places where WSBS would decode. Enter "WSBS" in Search for more info. A decode with picture made a VUD cover (2013?)

*(If all Miami area applicants get their way at the time of this writing, the only open lowband TV channel available will be 2.)

cd

Comment

Working...
      X