Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHK on ch 37

Here's a strange one...

Last night I noticed a signal indication, on ch 37, on the Zenith DTT-901 converter box... That's odd.

I tuned the Icom R-7000 rx through ch 37 (608-614 MHz) in SSB mode and I found what sounded like an AM signal at 608.416. It had some tones and weak modulation... like a broadcast signal...

I checked the FM band with another rx and, no match...

Then I checked the 6 MHz shortwave band with the Kenwood Ham rig and... Bingo!... There it was... A HUGE signal on 6.105 with tones and this announcement, "This is NHK World, Radio Japan, Tokyo." It matched perfectly with the signal the Icom was hearing on 608.416. This had to be some kind of signal mixing...

Then it hit me... Local (line-of-sight) WKMU 36/21 has it's DTV pilot signal on 602.31... (it reads as 602.311 on the Icom rx)... add this signal to the SW signal... 602.311 + 6.105 = 608.416... Exactly where the Icom was hearing the NHK signal. I suppose this was just enough to 'goose' the DTV box into showing a signal on ch 37.

I'm not sure where the 6.105 SW signal was transmitting from but it was a WHOPPER! (nearly full scale sig on the Kenwood TS-590SG) I suspect somewhere in the Americas.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

The NHK World Radio Japan signal transmits from Issoudun, France with 500,000 watts on 6105 kHz.

Comment

Thanks, Andrew... I forgot to mention... This was heard just shortly after 0400 GMT... If the French transmitter was on at that time, it had one Hell of a signal here in KY. I wonder if it might have been a more local (Stateside?) tx testing with NHK. WRMI in FL transmits some foreign programming.

73, Ed NN2E
      Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
      "You Might Be a Redneck If...
      Your TV is on 24/7.
      Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
      The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
      Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
      Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
      Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
      Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
      Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
      Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

Working...
      X