No announcement yet.

Analog vs DTV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And getting back to the original point of the thread - I'll take analog any day over DTV. Sure, IDing a station is easier with DTV, but I'd rather stare at a VERY snowy picture than a yellow bar that teases me.

Comment

Something I noticed as soon as I started DXing DTVs... With analog, all-night tropo DXing was fairly common. With DTV, the time frame for tropo DX shifted towards the early morning hours say, sunrise to 9 or 10 a.m. I'm guessing this is a result of the 'all or nothing at all' characteristics of DTV... I now have to wait for tropo conditions to peak before DX will decode. With analog, the weaker (off peak) signals were still easily DX-able. There are times when all-night DTV tropo occurs but, not near as often as with analog.

73, Ed NN2E
      Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
      "You Might Be a Redneck If...
      Your TV is on 24/7.
      Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
      The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
      Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
      Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
      Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
      Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
      Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
      Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

This ties in with post # 17...

Got up this morning at 4 a.m. Tropo conditions are typical for a Summer morning... What I call, "150-ish mile clutter"... Tuned the Zenith box to ch 35 with the antenna aimed at 52 degrees azimuth. Observed 1/3 scale signal, and I wait...

Sunrise at 6:11 a.m. C.D.T.

After 2 hours and 46 minutes (at 6:46 a.m.) WLWT 35/5 Cincinnati (267 mi) finally reaches decode level. Had this been an analog signal I'd have been watching this station instead of a 1/3 scale signal bar and/or a, "NO SIGNAL" message on the screen.

Don't we just hate DTV DXing. :-)

73, Ed NN2E
        Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
        "You Might Be a Redneck If...
        Your TV is on 24/7.
        Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
        The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
        Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
        Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
        Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
        Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
        Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
        Jeff Foxworthy

Comment

Ed, my total DTV count of low-VHF stations received via e-skip is 12. My total analog count of low-VHF stations received via e-skip is 27. I've been DXing since 2015. I've missed a lot of logs because the DTVs will just not decode. I can sit for hours and see a yellow signal bar on low-VHF, and then it disappears leaving nothing. Low-VHF is really bad, and it's no wonder the broadcasters avoided it. I estimate if these were analog, I would have logged the following stations that I do not have in the logbook... CKPR 2, KYUS 3, WMC 5, WTSP-DRT 4, KXDA-LD 5, KZHO-LD 3, CHAU-1 3, CFTF-4 4, WRUF-LD 5. And I know there would be a lot more.

One thing I've noticed is that I can see the digital static appear on the analog TV way before I can even see a yellow bar appear on the Zenith tuner. So it may be worse than we think.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
            Ed, my total DTV count of low-VHF stations received via e-skip is 12. My total analog count of low-VHF stations received via e-skip is 27. I've been DXing since 2015. I've missed a lot of logs because the DTVs will just not decode. I can sit for hours and see a yellow signal bar on low-VHF, and then it disappears leaving nothing. Low-VHF is really bad, and it's no wonder the broadcasters avoided it. I estimate if these were analog, I would have logged the following stations that I do not have in the logbook... CKPR 2, KYUS 3, WMC 5, WTSP-DRT 4, KXDA-LD 5, KZHO-LD 3, CHAU-1 3, CFTF-4 4, WRUF-LD 5. And I know there would be a lot more.

One thing I've noticed is that I can see the digital static appear on the analog TV way before I can even see a yellow bar appear on the Zenith tuner. So it may be worse than we think.
            I think you would have logged WVUA 6 (mapped to 23) as well (if you haven't already). WVUA has 1 of the best low VHF signals I know, sometimes its signal can really get out. Have you ever received "Franken FM" station WPGF-LD 6 / 87.7-5 before, they are out of Memphis, TN and are still in analog, I receive their audio on 87.7 a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rrrrzzzz419 View Post
              I think you would have logged WVUA 6 (mapped to 23) as well (if you haven't already). WVUA has 1 of the best low VHF signals I know, sometimes its signal can really get out. Have you ever received "Franken FM" station WPGF-LD 6 / 87.7-5 before, they are out of Memphis, TN and are still in analog, I receive their audio on 87.7 a lot.
              I've tentatively logged WPGF-LP Memphis. I heard sports talk and assumed it was them, because it's basically the only sports talk from the area I was receiving e-skip. And yes, I'd likely have WVUA and WDVZ-CD 3. I have the infamous yellow bars from both of them.

Comment

I will admit, I have to say something different here, based on my location.

Sure, analog TV = more DX. But, OTOH, back pre-June 2009, my analog TV was cluttered with channels 2, 4, 5, and 6 locally; 3 for the most part was the only channel for Es unless something monstrous came along.

I actually traveled to Everglades City FL a lot in '06-'07---it was the quickest place to set up outdoor DX equipment and not worry about my Miami/West Palm locals. I got some good stuff too---anywhere from Venezuela to Omaha to Boston I think (WGBH).

Because I live in a spot where I can log a dozen different countries (we can scratch Costa Rica and Mexiconow), not only do I still see some analog---but there are over a dozen DTV Es targets north to west. And---had I known how to finagle Manual Tuning mode on my STB, I might have gotten my first DTV Es catches a year earlier (my first being WCYB 5 June 2010).

From home, since '09, I have added at least 4 more countries to my logs---all because my locals on 2 and 4 are gone now.

So----another perspective.

cd

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
                  I've tentatively logged WPGF-LP Memphis. I heard sports talk and assumed it was them, because it's basically the only sports talk from the area I was receiving e-skip. And yes, I'd likely have WVUA and WDVZ-CD 3. I have the infamous yellow bars from both of them.
                  If 560 AM is a clear frequency in your area try to check it the next time you hear sports talk on 87.7, if it is just before sunset or just after sunrise WPGF-LP's AM simulcast WHBQ AM 560 really gets out, if they both matched you would confirm 2 stations.

How do you tell what station is generating the yellow bars? You seem to be almost certain on several stations so I am guessing you have some sort of method, wither it be other stations coming in at the time or something else.

Comment

Working...
                  X