Confusing DX Experience This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusing DX Experience This Week

November 4th, 2019 I had an unusual DX experience unlike anything I have had before and I am hoping someone here will be able to explain to me how this happened. My family owns property 7 miles away from Iuka, MS. I traveled to Iuka, MS and back from our property and on the way there and on the way back nothing was unusual, however in Iuka, MS conditions were enhanced towards the south on the FM band. WKOR-FM the Golden Triangle's 94.9 was fighting with WMSR-FM The Shoals' 94.9 for example. However only 7 miles away conditions weren't enhanced much if at all.

If this was ducting, could a duct form from the short distance of The Golden Triangle to Iuka?

If this was tropo, could 7 miles really be the difference between enhancement and no enhancement?

All my previous experiences (including with E Skip) Iuka, MS and our property 7 miles away were both effected.

Originally posted by Rrrrzzzz419 View Post
    November 4th, 2019 I had an unusual DX experience unlike anything I have had before and I am hoping someone here will be able to explain to me how this happened. My family owns property 7 miles away from Iuka, MS. I traveled to Iuka, MS and back from our property and on the way there and on the way back nothing was unusual, however in Iuka, MS conditions were enhanced towards the south on the FM band. WKOR-FM the Golden Triangle's 94.9 was fighting with WMSR-FM The Shoals' 94.9 for example. However only 7 miles away conditions weren't enhanced much if at all.

If this was ducting, could a duct form from the short distance of The Golden Triangle to Iuka?

If this was tropo, could 7 miles really be the difference between enhancement and no enhancement?

All my previous experiences (including with E Skip) Iuka, MS and our property 7 miles away were both effected.
    That's not that unusual. In fact, I'm willing to bet that just a few tens of FEET can be the difference between receiving a signal or not, particularly if you're dealing with a lot of obstructions.

With terrain blockage, trees, buildings, etc... it's easy for a signal to fluctuate a few dB, which could mean hearing nothing or hearing a perfectly clear signal.

I've done a lot of portable DTV DX, and I always go to a particular spot a few miles away for good DX. It's normal to get 500+ mile signals in just a short visit that I can only achieve maybe once or twice in years of DXing at home. UHF signals are noticeably more affected.

Comment

Working...
    X