UNID Station Branding 94.7 (Ms)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UNID Station Branding 94.7 (Ms)

I continue to record single channels using Total Recorder software overnight. The AirSpy HF+ Discovery is 'parked' on a single channel overnight, and the audio is recorded. Generally from about 11 PM until 10 AM, the following day. Using Sound Forge, I can visually scan the file looking for visual tell-tale signs of meteor scatter pings. I pause briefly on each one, and review the audio. A 12 hour file can be reviewed in less than 30 minutes in this manner.

In this case, I recorded 94.7 overnight, with the FM6 Antenna pointed NNW. It is also tilted at the sky at a 45 degree angle. This greatly reduces the noise floor.

In this clip near the TOH around 7AM, I hear what sounds like "Rock! (Male Voice) and "94 point 7, Inyo. (Female Voice.)

Can't make out anything else, and I have no doubt that I'm hearing "Inyo" incorrectly--perhaps even the whole clip. Younger ears? Grateful for any help.

Attached Files

I hear "94.7 The Mix". Looks like Paducah, KY. And it sounds like light Tr or Tr scatter to me.
    Last edited by landtw; 12-09-2022, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Andrew K quickly corrected my misidentification. He pointed out that the female voice is saying "94.7 The Mix." Another time listening to the clip from me confirmed it. That WZYK in Clinton, KY. 268 miles, so they are a frequent visitor on both tropo and Ms. I believe the male voice at the front is a second station on the same burn. That happens frequently with meteor scatter. The rock disintegrates on entry into the atmosphere. As it burns, the ionized trail changes and the station you are hearing can quickly jump to another one.

Thanks for the help, Andrew! You are a meteor scatter master.

Comment

Originally posted by landtw View Post
        I hear "94.7 The Mix". Looks like Paducah, KY. And it sounds like light Tr or Tr scatter to me.
        Thanks to you too, landtw. You could be right, but the band was dead quiet all night. No sign of any stations on tropo. The only propagation was meteor scatter, and given the time of day (early morning) random meteors makes sense. The quick change of stations also suggests meteor scatter.

One factor that is making all of this more difficult is that I've recently started recording at narrow bandwidths (75 kHZ) to improve my signal-to-noise ratio here. This precludes any possibility of an RDS decode, but it does allow for more stations to be heard via audio recordings. The downside is that it can make identification more difficult, and also make it tougher to determine propagation mode with certainty. It could even be airplane scatter.

Comment

Working...
        X