Which SDR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which SDR?

I am looking into monitoring FM radio with an SDR. I've tried the very affordable generic USB dongles but there are too many apps to download and tweak, not to mention very limited spectrum display. Has anybody here used the mid priced AirSpy or SDRPlay SDRs? I heard they are just about plug and play now. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Halmonsta View Post
    I am looking into monitoring FM radio with an SDR. I've tried the very affordable generic USB dongles but there are too many apps to download and tweak, not to mention very limited spectrum display. Has anybody here used the mid priced AirSpy or SDRPlay SDRs? I heard they are just about plug and play now. Thanks in advance.
    I've used the Airspy Mini and The SDRPlay RSP-1 and RSP Duo. I also have the Airspy Discovery HF+. If you need phasing then the RSP Duo is for you. If you need something that will not overload in metro areas (Broward Cty) then the Airspy Discovery HF+ is a must. However, the HF+ only gives you around 900khz of spectrum. The Airspy Mini and the RSPs will overload in high signal areas but they will show up to 10 mhz of spectrum (work better with 8mhz). The Airspy Mini shows 6mhz of spectrum. With regard to overload, the Airspy Mini handles it a little better than the RSPs.

As for me, I have a dial full of HD hiss and a bunch of translators and LPFMs plugging up every hole I have in the band so I find that what works best for me is the HF+ with an external phaser. You'll have to determine your needs and choose accordingly. Good luck!
    Enfield, CT USA
    Visit Mike's DX at https://mikesdx.com or go here.

On the web since 1999! (that's 23 years!)
    See what else I have over there

Comment

I've been using two SDRPlay RSP1a's to cover most of the band. I'm in a RF-heavy environment with most of the high power locals within 10 miles. The only overload I've gotten with this setup is if I aim right at the transmitters. Many SDR's - including mine - will overload if you crank the gain up too high, but that's easily resolved. I wasn't able to go for a Perseus or an ELAD due to cost concerns, and the RSP1a's have been a good compromise to those.

Comment

Working...
      X