2 down, 3 to go.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"To be fair, no one knows how many of these LP apps will be granted"

True, but based upon the things that have been approved in recent years that has junked up the FM band, I am afraid. Very afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by antennanut View Post
      "To be fair, no one knows how many of these LP apps will be granted"

True, but based upon the things that have been approved in recent years that has junked up the FM band, I am afraid. Very afraid.
      As I understand the process, as long as the technical parameters are in order and the FCC concurs with the engineering specs, it's pretty much a lock that a given app will be granted. There's no interest in "what, exactly, do you intend to do with this station" or any evaluation of how it will serve the targeted audience -- the FCC is primarily an RF traffic cop. The only potential pitfall is if some legal issue or "moral turpitude" factor is involved.

If there are competing apps for the same channel, an auction determines the winner. Otherwise, it's pretty much automatic. And the interference calculations they do are highly suspect -- theoretical computer analyses that fail to take into account real-life factors like terrain and propagation. Plus, they are only concerned with potential interference inside a station's magic coverage contours (which are themselves totally theoretical and, in many cases, laughable) -- if you're outside the "blue line" (even if you are still within the market's DMA) and depend on that particular station for reception of a particular network or service, you have no recourse to complain if another co-channel signal comes along to mess up your viewing -- you don't exist as far as the FCC is concerned.

And, needless to say, they do not give a flying fajita about the concerns of DXers and other hobbyists. You are even farther off the radar than fringe viewers.

The transition to DTV was supposed to improve and revitalize OTA reception. Sometimes, though, I think it's just a massive conspiracy concocted to drive even more viewers to cable and satellite.....

Comment

If your desired station becomes clobbered by an upstart LPFM you CAN complain to the desired station since they have what is known as "standing" (i.e., being licensed by) with the FCC. I think that is what listeners here did when K221EX came on and creamed KNBT and a 92.3 likewise affected KRNH Kerrville. The latter was heard asking for listener comments as to how far away that they regularly listened to them in their autos. It sounded like more than just an idle survey and more like collecting ammo to silence the co-chanel LPFM here in town - which IS now off

73, Pat - WA5IYX

Comment

Back to WSBS, now I am wondering.....I have not seen it for days....and I'm wondering, maybe I got Key West???? My antenna is pointed at the farm, after turning it from WTVX to see RTN which did show up tonight along with the new W43etc Matecumbe + the subs....but no sign of the Miami WSBS, and FCC still has a CP showing.

Maybe also, it's just a good evening for N-S propagation.

cd

Comment

My hope is that your signal the other day was the WSBS from the Keys. Maybe that won't ruin your Es on channel 3.
            Danny
            Shreveport, LA
            Mexico/Latin America TV DX ID Tips http://www.tvdxtips.com
            Submit and read DTV Stats http://www.tvdxexpo.com/dtvdxrecords.html
            TV and DTV DX Photographs http://www.tvdxexpo.com
            My Photographs of 100 Mexico TV DX Local IDs http://www.tvdxexpo.com/100mexicotvids.html
            More than 1,100 TV logs since 1994

Comment

WSBS does have a CP to operate a lo-power in Miami on channel 3. My understanding is that they are going to try to modify and temporarily use the old WPBT ch. 2 analog antenna while they try to work out a site of their own.

WEYS-LP has also been granted a CP to go digital there on ch. 6.

I haven't seen anything applied for on 2 or 4 yet. Bet your bottom dollar that when they start taking full-power DTV apps again, someone's going to try to grab those now vacant channels. Miami is too big and attractive a market for it not to happen.

Comment

Yes I was thinking.....the best scenario would be that WSBS already *is* running in Miami on 3, and the signal is marginal at best here.

Well then, if WEYS has a digital CP, that begs the Q's:

(1) So they did not care to have the FM 87.7 signal? I thought that was their M.O.

(2) Will this then, be one of those situations that you mentioned earlier----where one would have to punch in the # of WTVJ's actual channel [31] to get WEYS, although they will use the 6 frequency?

All I know is, I better check the real 2 & 4 almost everyday, even out of Es season, before someone captures them for a permit.

cd

Comment

Originally posted by cd637299 View Post
                  Yes I was thinking.....the best scenario would be that WSBS already *is* running in Miami on 3, and the signal is marginal at best here.
                  Best I can tell from what I read, they are not currently on, planning to gear up to try operating from WPBT's old antenna after they had some initial problems with their original stick. You might well have caught them if they were on briefly before rethinking their situation.

Originally posted by cd637299 View Post
                  Well then, if WEYS has a digital CP, that begs the Q's:

(1) So they did not care to have the FM 87.7 signal? I thought that was their M.O.
                  My error -- I misread the FCC info. They were just granted a license to cover their analog operation -- I don't see any digital apps for them yet. Assuming from your question that they are one of those "FrankenFMs" that is actually more of a faux FM station than an LPTV?

Sooner or later, all these LPs will have to go digital. Some have already switched or have applied to; others don't seem to be in any hurry and will probably drag their feet until the FCC sets a "drop dead" date for them to convert.

Comment

Nah, not a FrankenFM....they actually do have Almavision TV programming (a Spanish TBN if you will), but it'd work as audio-only as well. However, their 87.7 car-radio sound is not good. A radio would have to be tuned exactly to hear them well, I believe. (Analog radios still are good for things like this!)

You may be right on the 3. If I could get WTVX, somehow I shoulda got the 3 as well. I sincerely now doubt it was Key West....if it was, I'd be trying for Cuba as I usually do, FM or TV.

cd

Comment

It'd be nice if KFLZ-CA-6 had something besides raster and Hispanic music (simulcast on K272EK 102.3 with dual idents !). When KENS-5 was still on I could make out their large white static ident. However, later their plain raster made it easier to get some Jun-Jul NTSC Es nightlights identified over/thru them

73, Pat - WA5IYX

Comment

We had an interesting situation here in the San Francisco Bay Area. KRCB up in Cotati was analog on channel 22 and is digital on 23. It, of course, IDs as 22-1, 22-2, and 22-3. A low power station, KAXT, down in San Jose was also analog on 22 and got a digital license for channel 42. Running 12.2 kW digital, it has very good coverage and many who receive KRCB also receive KAXT. They also ID'd as 22-1 through 22-15. Yes, they have 12 video sub-channels and 3 audio sub-channels!

Some tuners handled the two 22's with no problem. My Insignia box just added a second 22-1, 22-2 and 22-3. Some tuners, didn't know what to do. My Sony XBR5, for example, got totally confused. It skipped 22-1 through 3 from KAXT, since they were already used by KRCB, but added 22-4 through 22-15. We have a station that transmits on channel 14 using 42-1, it's old analog channel, for ID, so the Sony tuner skipped 42-1, but it added 42-2 and 42-3 for KAXT. The -1 channel could not be found. Were you able to follow all of that?

But that's not the end of the story. Due to the virtual channel duplication, KAXT got permission from the FCC to use channel 1. Yes, folks, we now have channel 1 here in the Bay Area... actually fifteen of them, 1-1 through 1-15! It solved the problem with tuners that received both stations.

Larry
                        SF

Comment

Working...
                        X