Cambridge SoundWorks Radio 730

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cambridge SoundWorks Radio 730

I have a Cambridge SoundWorks Radio 730 http://reviews.cnet.com/radios/cambr...-21222564.html and FM coverage begins at 87.9 mHz. I know that some countries FM broadcast band starts as low as 76 mHz. I have looked at the owner's manual online http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/p..._radio_730.pdf and I have tried searching online, but I can't seem to locate any information on how to modify this for extended coverage. I haven't opened up the radio yet, nor do I have a service manual. Is it likely that this can be readily modified for expanded coverage? I seem to recall other radios that had a switch for AM broadcast to switch from 9 kHz to 10 kHz, so I am wondering if there might be a similar switch inside to switch FM broadcast. I really only want to be able to go down to 87.7 mHz, but the radio 730 that I have begins at 87.9 mHz.

Never heard of that brand, but you could join www.retrevo.com , who specialize in online manuals for discontinued products.

But first, I'd Google (the brand) + (model number) + manual. You just might hit the jackpot.

Some of our WTFDA members do modifications, and you may wanna contact one or two.

cd

Comment

I thought Cambridge SoundWorks was still an operating company - but perhaps not. I bought this same radio about 6 or 7 years ago as a cheaper alternative to a Bose Wave Radio for the kitchen and another for the bedroom. Not trying to hijack the thread, which asks about a modification, but I'm not sure this radio is worth a mod. The sensitivity and selectivity are both miserable. Additionally, on AM, the tuner receives stations quite a bit off frequency. And it can't keep time, either. What I have just described is common to both radios - they sound nice, but function poorly, and since both radios behave this way, I think they were flat-out poorly manufactured.

Comment

Cambridge SoundWorks Radio 730

Here is the URL for them http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com They do still appear to be in business. When I bought this several years ago I wanted a receiver that had RDS. It was somewhat more recently that I realized that this does not have very good selectivity or sensitivity. I use a Panaxis ACC-100S around my farm. It is about 125 feet from the ACC-100S to my barn. Even with a log periodic antenna connected to the Cambridge SoundWorks Radio 730, I could not receive the low powered signal. I ended up buying a Radiosophy HD100. I figured that if it is more sensitive and selective on analog it would work for this application and, if not, I would get the opportunity to try IBOC. As it turned out it is very sensiive and slective and works great for receiving the low powered signal from the ACC100S. I am wondering if people here have also found that the HD radios are very sensitive and selective on analog broadcasts.

Comment

I don't believe that it is reasonable to expect to modify a consumer radio to expand the FM band without ending up with a non-working radio, or one which works less well than it did originally. It's like rebuilding the entire tuner portion of the radio.
          Russ Edmunds
          15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
          WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

2 ) SDRPlay RSP1a SDRs, Onkyo T450RDS,
          Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
          Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
          all w APS9B @ 15'
          Insignia NSHDRAD2 w/ whip.

Comment

The Sony XDR-F1HD is a popular DX machine. Not many folks on the forum likely use it mainly for HD reception, but instead for its outstanding analog sensitivity and selectivity at a reasonable price. I bought one several months ago for a net price of $49 ($99 with a $50 mail in rebate).

Comment

Cambridge Soundworks was the last effort that Henry Kloss(KLH.Advent) started before he passed. They produce the Tivoli Model One and other Tivoli models. The Cambridge model 88 was a rival of the Bose Wave Radio. It included a CD player which the Bose did not, at the time. Monitoring Times reviewed the two radios, they were very comparable the Kloss 88 had better selectivity for less than half the price.

Comment

Working...
              X