The Future of VHF-Lo Band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future of VHF-Lo Band

I was thinking the other day about the future of VHF-L band. I dont know if it has a future for TV or not. If u look for digital channels on VHF-L you find only a handful. Many left due to eskip and tropo effects on their signal, something we know all too well here. There are more LP analogs, but as these upgrade to digital they will probably go UHF. As the VHF-Lo band empties, and FM gets more crammed, the FCC may decide to extend the FM band since VHF-Lo just happens to be right next to FM. Some of you may say the FCC will solve this by doing a digital transition for FM, but i just cant see current digital technology replacing FM in analog. Unlike DTV vs analog picture, to the average ear HD radio has little benefit compared to analog FM on a high end stereo. And FM radios are used in more in cars, portable units, etc when they are moving. TVs are usually set up in one place. Japan uses the VHF-Lo range for FM in their country. It would be easy for radio manufacturers to implement this change, without increasing costs, just like the extension of the AM band.

When i see an emptying radio band sitting next to a full one, this is what i think.
    What do you guys think?
    DX Radios:
    Sony XDR-F1HD
    Sony XDR-S10HDiP
    Tecsun PL-390

Would you want to buy a house in an undesirable area? Probably not. Look what happened to 30-50mhz. It's practically deserted. Just some police, fire and emergency services there, from towns without the funds to go up the band and relocate.

Low band VHF seems just as undesirable, IMO. But I guess I could see digital LPTVs there, serving a town and an area a few miles around. These guys can't go to UHF because they could get bumped by a full power station, right ? They get the "reject" band, but it's better than nothing.

That's my 2¢ anyway.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Comment

.....of course, where I am located, you won't get any complaint from me (re no more lowband V DTV's)!!

cd

Comment

Originally posted by Mike-CT View Post
        Would you want to buy a house in an undesirable area? Probably not. Look what happened to 30-50mhz. It's practically deserted. Just some police, fire and emergency services there, from towns without the funds to go up the band and relocate.

Low band VHF seems just as undesirable, IMO. But I guess I could see digital LPTVs there, serving a town and an area a few miles around. These guys can't go to UHF because they could get bumped by a full power station, right ? They get the "reject" band, but it's better than nothing.

That's my 2¢ anyway.
        Actually, millions do live in houses in "undesirable areas", because not everyone can afford a house in The Hamptons.

It may be the same for "low income TV stations", particularly ethnic stations, who certainly can't buy the ABC affiliate in a large city and convert it to ethnic, but would jump at the chance to build a low-V DTV, allowing their faithful viewers to get them on outdoor antennas, and getting their programs carried on cable systems.

I don't think Low-V is the best solution for this, I think they should drop the Low-V channels, and allow "Class B DTV stations" - powerful DTVs, UHF or High-V, that don't meet the minimum distance requirements, but protect full-service (renamed Class C?) stations by using directional antennas, and have the same must-carry rights as full service stations.
        Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

Comment

Working...
        X