Has anyone had FM DX from Alaska?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had FM DX from Alaska?

Has anyone had FM DX from Alaska? if so, what mode, to where...?
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Not me...but someone in AZ claimed to have heard KAYO 100.9 Wasilla. Maybe it was the guy who posts on DXWorld, AC3XP or similar?

cd

Comment

Thanks. Interesting in that direction too, because that could tell half the picture I'm wondering about. I was wondering if anyone has tried FM DXing in AK... I'm interested in any experiences from DXers situated in the north...
      Saul Chernos
      Burnt River ON

Comment

It was AC7XP Robert Kornovich, Sierra Vista AZ. I believe he lived in Oregon at one time and it happened at that time. I will try to clarify that information. I don't remember the exact year that he reported that reception. I can check with him on the details.
        Last edited by Jim Thomas; 06-23-2021, 11:22 AM.
        Jim Thomas
        Springfield, MO EM37

"Let's just plop them in front of the TV. I was raised in front of the TV and I turned out TV." - Homer Simpson

Fall & Winter 2019 dx equipment
        Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
        Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HD Homerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Comment

As to FM DXn from AK, forget it. I was stationed next to Anchorage for two years. I couldn’t catch anything on FM/TV outside of ANC—and I couldn’t catch AK’s first 100,000 watt FM, 103.5 outta Homer. Just too many hills and valleys; not to mention that I was in a barracks, so I had to make do with built-in rod antennas.

SW and AM though were another story. If you do an Advanced Search and enter “Elmendorf,” you will find what I heard in 2 years’ time. Not much—but distant!

WL7NO in ANC now has an online SDR. Things will improve there in AM and SW as night hours increase.....

cd

Comment

Working...
          X