Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Hop Es Nevada - West Virginia

I'm operating from the portable DX shack in Goldfield, Nevada and this morning had a decent FM Es opening to primarily Kansas and Missouri with some neighboring states. At 9:56 AM local (12:56 Eastern) was monitoring 93.5 trying to identify a country station and a religious that was usually there. In a fade heard an ID but didn't catch it had to go back to the recording to identify. It's WFBY Buckhannon, WV 2003 miles. Thanks to Steve K3PHL who also looked up the playlist and provided a screenshot that matches the song. In 15+ years of FM logging this is the furthest confirmed signal. Also on June 12 had an extended path or maybe short 2X to 93.3 WQUE-FM New Orleans at 1644 miles. Attached audio for both.
    Set up the radio equipment May 24 and have already heard more Es over 1400 miles than in 15+ years DXing from Florida.
    Attached Files
    Randy KW4RZ Goldfield, Nevada DM17

I knew I'd heard this station before, logged in 2018 from Florida. Not sure if the call had changed by the time I logged them.
    Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations, nice catch.

I follow the DX maps propagation page and noticed yesterday (on June 15 at 12:36 Eastern) there was a MUF of 109 mhz in grid square DM68 (Colorado) & a MUF of 98 Mhz in FM12 (New York - Southern Tier near PA) at the same time. Unfortunately I didn't get a screenshot of it. Perhaps that might account for your WV double hop...

Comment

Randy, congrats! Absolutely awesome. You seemed to have found a dream Es spot out west...it's been great seeing what you've been hearing on FMList this season. If we get a couple of clouds lined up across the continent later this season...who knows what you might hear. What are you using for an antenna - the FM6 from your FWB days?

Comment

Thanks Nick. I am using a Radio Shack original FM6 antenna. I've had it for over 16 years now, scrapped the 8 element log periodic I had in Florida. The FM6 is mounted on an adjustable fiber resin pole. I usually clamp it to the side of the RV, putting it about 16 ft above ground but the wind out here is brutal has the ability to blow it down. I've also a easy assemble PVC stand that works good and can put the mast and antenna anywhere but it can blow over too. I'm working on a different mounting method. Also have my mag mount mobile 6 meter whip. This is one of the best locations I've parked for any extended time. I'm down in a valley that has a decent low angle view from 0 to about 170 degrees. At 5700 ft elevation. The western direction is effectively blocked by a 700 + ft ridge not 500 ft away. Here's a photo from halfway up the ridge looking to the east across town. Almost the entire FM band is vacant. One local station 89.1 KGFN is 150 watts two miles away on the mountain in the upper left. KGFN creates some problems with overload on the PRO2004 scanner in the lower FM but not bad. It's nice to be able to use the scanner again for FM openings. There's a 1kw NPR repeater on 91.7 and 3 low power translators on a mountain near Tonopah, Nevada 24 miles north that produce local signals from here. 92.1 KXBN in Cedar City, UT 211 miles away has a big signal can be heard scattering in all the time as is 94.5 KXLI is 184 miles SE huge pesky signal compared to other Vegas which only occasionally scatter in. Being sort of protected in a valley blocks a lot of pests. If I drive up to the pass 400 ft higher and monitor from the truck there's a huge difference. Can get all of Vegas, a few of the eastern Sierras class As, and even Sacramento class Cs 240 miles away. But in the valley almost the whole FM band is available for DX. The real pests here are the wind and RF noise. Not uncommon to have 30+ mph winds all day in the high desert. Powerline noise is rough and from various electronics in the area and other RVs that come in raise the noise floor and create birdies. It's proving to be a great location though. Lots of Es so far, Ms IDs almost daily, and tropo scatter is rare enough to make it fun rather than pesky.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Congrats Randy for all the incredible FM DX you are receiving. Looks so nice and peaceful where you are. What type of Balun antenna matching transformer you have hooked up to your FM-6 antenna.

Comment

It's a standard 75 to 300 Ohm designed for outdoor TV antennas

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
              Working...
              X