X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Hop ES - CA to FL [26 MAY 2021]

Hello all!

This is my first post on WTFDA, so allow me to introduce myself briefly.

My name is Mat, otherwise known as N6AVI, or my online alias, "SkyWaveBirdDX" I reside here in Southern California, in a little town called Palmdale.

I have been doing FM DX for the last three years, and it's been an exciting hobby to get into.

I'd like to inform this forum of a multi-hop Sporadic-E catch I have got recently.

On May 26, 2021, at 4:54 PM local [2354 UTC] during a really strong and bizarre opening on FM during May, I happened to catch WBVM from Tampa, Florida.

Distance has been found to be 2,153 mi, or 3,465 kilometers.

Confirmation: RDS with valid PI code on SDR which was used during the event.

WBVM.PNG

I'm still amazed to get such a rare catch into what I consider still being relatively "early" in the DX hobby as compared to those who have been doing this for much longer than I have.

So I just thought I'd take a moment to share with you all something really far out. Have a nice day!

Mat, Thanks for posting that reception report onto the board. It looks like you were at the right place at the right time. The RDS is just about perfect for 2xEs. I have three questions. How long were you able to listen to the station before it dropped out? Do you have any audio recordings? What is your antenna configuration?

Comment

Originally posted by GACTVDX View Post
      Mat, Thanks for posting that reception report onto the board. It looks like you were at the right place at the right time. The RDS is just about perfect for 2xEs. I have three questions. How long were you able to listen to the station before it dropped out? Do you have any audio recordings? What is your antenna configuration?
      1). Since I was swapping receivers on my SDR, at the time I switched from 90.5 to 90.9 for about a minute or so, and then when I selected 90.5 again, the RDS was there. So I suspect about less than to about a full minute.

2). As I said before, I was listening to 90.9 at the time of the capture. Oh how I wish to have had an IQ file recording for it.

3). I currently use a Stellar Labs 4-Element Yagi up at about 9 feet or so pointed directly eastward. (Picture of it on my qrz page)

Comment

Do you have any local or semi-local stations on 90.5? If there are what is the callsign and distance. - Mike

Comment

Unfortunately I didn't take any DX Maps screen shots on May 26th. I do recall there were a few days of separate E-Skip openings. Congrats on the catch

Comment

Originally posted by GACTVDX View Post
            Do you have any local or semi-local stations on 90.5? If there are what is the callsign and distance. - Mike
            There are no locals here on 90.5. (Thank goodness) It's my go to frequency to check to see if FM Sporadic-E is occurring.

The only exception I can think of is KSOS out in Las Vegas, NV, but it's strictly airplane scatter. It's about 199 miles (320 kilometers) away from here. We got lots of planes flying from L.A to L.V all throughout the day, so every so often KSOS bounces off planes to reach here for about half a minute or so.

Comment

Mat, not bad (heh) for a first report here. Here's to many more" That's farther than anything I've ever had, and I started FM in 1977. Awesome to have that RDS souvenir! Welcome to WTFDA Forums.
              Saul Chernos
              Burnt River ON

Comment

First off, Mat, welcome to the WTFDA! I had to check email addresses but I see you're the same Mat that sent in his $10 dues for the year so thank you! Nice going on the double hop!

You're not the first one in CA to get 2 hop FM to the east coast. There's a guy on the skiplog (Larry...his name is Chime now) who has had it once and I think Mike Hawk (Mike on the skiplog) might have had it also from the Bay area. Mike was a WTFDA member for a long time, i would say in the 80s and 90s.

I think that unless WBVM has a translator on 90.5 somewhere in 1 hop skip range then you're home free. Thank God for RDS. i'm not doubting this.

Try out our logger sometime. I think you'll like it.
                Mike B.
                Enfield, CT
                -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
                FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
                mikesdx.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike-CT View Post
                  First off, Mat, welcome to the WTFDA! I had to check email addresses but I see you're the same Mat that sent in his $10 dues for the year so thank you! Nice going on the double hop!

You're not the first one in CA to get 2 hop FM to the east coast. There's a guy on the skiplog (Larry...his name is Chime now) who has had it once and I think Mike Hawk (Mike on the skiplog) might have had it also from the Bay area. Mike was a WTFDA member for a long time, i would say in the 80s and 90s.

I think that unless WBVM has a translator on 90.5 somewhere in 1 hop skip range then you're home free. Thank God for RDS. i'm not doubting this.

Try out our logger sometime. I think you'll like it.
                  Thank you for the welcome, Mike! It's good to be here. Here's to more skips for all of us, cheers. (:

Comment

Nice catch, Mat. I was watching that whole opening develop glad someone caught in on it! Very rare especially with limited open channels.
                    Randy KW4RZ Goldfield, Nevada DM17

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                    Working...
                    X